Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Accedental OC LEO encounter good I guess.(what?)

This may or may not be considered an "encounter" to you guys.

I have been carrying concealed to get the "feel" for the weight/size of the gun, also trying to get the whole "attitude" down. Trying not to seem as though I am different or out-of-place.

So my girlfriend calls and needs picked up from work early, i threw a jacket on and went down to grab her. (The gun on my right hip because i try to OC at home to get used to the feeling of it at my side, the gun is now covered by my jacket). The bottom of the holster peaks out of the bottom of the jacket. On our way home we decided to stop by the south side Giant Eagle to grab some coke/cereal/etc. We check out yada yada yada. I stop at the red box machine to rent The boy in the striped pajamas (by the way don't waste your money on it). Any who anyone who has been to that giant eagle after like 6:30 knows they always have an LEO behind the that desk to the left of the red box machine. As i am looking for other movies i may want to rent I notice the LEO walk behind me, then slightly to my right. Not making it obvious he was looking AT me but deff. trying to get a peak at what this "thing" was that was slightly protruding from under my jacket. I grab my movie and walk out the door. He did not fallow me however in the glass front i could clearly see him looking at my butt. When I got to the car to unload the grocers Jess says to me: "Haha your butt is showing" I thought what? she says "The butt of your gun is out" I checked my side and sure enough my jacket was stuck up above the butt of my gun making it obvious to everyone I had a weapon.

I was scared to OC but this little encounter if anything tells me that I'm pretty sure the only person who noticed was the LEO. Everyone else seemed oblivious.
    Last edited by GetITCdot; April 16th, 2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I made a mistake in the post thanks Chambered for pointing that out.

(Northumberland County)

Cool Re: Accedental OC LEO encounter good I guess.(what?)

haha that was a good one how would u like to be in my shoes if that happened and i am hearing impaired if that LEO saw my gun stickign out and tried to talk to me what do you think would have happened to me?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Accedental OC LEO encounter good I guess.(what?)

Quote Originally Posted by GetITCdot View Post
    I guess the LEO knew the laws? Also. I was scared to OC but this little encounter if anything tells me that I'm pretty sure the only person who noticed was the LEO. Everyone else seemed oblivious.
    I'm not sure I understand your comment about the LEO knowing the laws.

I assume you have an LTCF? I ask because you didn't make that clear in your post, and technically you weren't OCing if you put on a jacket which covered the weapon. It's nice that the LEO didn't stop you, but if does know the laws and he did see your weapon under your jacket, at that point he knows you're carrying concealed and would've been within the law to ask you for your LTCF.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; April 16th, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post

I assume you have an LTCF? I ask because you didn't make that clear in your post, and technically you weren't OCing if you put on a jacket which covered the weapon. It's nice that the LEO didn't stop you, but if does know the laws and he did see your weapon under your jacket, at that point he knows you're carrying concealed and would've been within the law to ask you for your LTCF.
    Yes sorry I DO have an LTCF. I figured at that point it would have counted as OC?

(Perry County)

Unless his jacket was already tucked behind the gun exposing it clearly when the LEO saw him. Wouldn't that have been considered OC and not CC?

Now, the fact that the LEO could have watched him get into the car knowing that he was OC could have given him reason to ask to see him LTCF I believe (although I'm sure others would disagree since we wouldn't think it normal to ask to see his DL if he was getting into the driver's seat)...
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Berks County)

Yes sorry I DO have an LTCF. I figured at that point it would have counted as OC?
    I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if any part of the weapon/holster is covered, it can be considered concealed. Besides, if you print or show a portion of the weapon, you've basically signaled that your INTENT was to conceal, it just didn't work out as well as you hoped

As soon as you mentioned that you put a jacket on, IMHO it's concealed carry.

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Unless his jacket was already tucked behind the gun exposing it clearly when the LEO saw him. Wouldn't that have been considered OC and not CC?
    If the gun is clearly exposed regardless of the clothing worn, I'd consider that OC. However, that wasn't mentioned in the OP's post; he mentioned that he had a jacket on, and that the butt was exposed when his jacket rode up. This assumes the weapon was initially under the jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by imp81318 View Post
    Now, the fact that the LEO could have watched him get into the car knowing that he was OC could have given him reason to ask to see him LTCF I believe (although I'm sure others would disagree since we wouldn't think it normal to ask to see his DL if he was getting into the driver's seat)...
    Agreed, getting into a car would've also been grounds for the LEO to ask for a LTCF, as ANY on-person carry in a car requires an LTCF because the car itself is considered the "concealing entity".
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; April 16th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if any part of the weapon/holster is covered, it can be considered concealed. Besides, if you print or show a portion of the weapon, you've basically signaled that your INTENT was to conceal, it just didn't work out as well as you hoped

As soon as you mentioned that you put a jacket on, IMHO it's concealed carry.

If the gun is clearly exposed regardless of the clothing worn, I'd consider that OC. However, that wasn't mentioned in the OP's post.

Agreed, getting into a car would've also been grounds for the LEO to ask for a LTCF, as ANY on-person carry in a car requires an LTCF because the car itself is considered the "concealing entity".
    The point of me putting on the jacked WAS to conceal. I still do not feel comfortable OCing by myself. I just figured the gun was exposed it may be OC at that point.

In re: "Oblivion," Massad Ayoob has a series of pictures showing him patronizing a convenience store with a pistol on his belt, with no one noticing!

I guess there's a lot of Condition White going around.

Regards,

Walt
    Author,
    The M14 Complete Assembly Guide
    The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide
    The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide

(Berks County)

The point of me putting on the jacked WAS to conceal. I still do not feel comfortable OCing by myself. I just figured the gun was exposed it may be OC at that point.
    That was how I took it: that your intent was CC, but you believed your carry to become OC when part of the weapon was exposed.

Again, IANAL, but I personally don't agree with that assessment. In fact, I believe LEOs will typically respond in the opposite manner: they will consider ANY concealment as CC (and ask for a license) unless it's blatantly obvious that a person is OCing and there's no way their dress or actions could cause concealment.

So, either the LEO in that store a) didn't see the exposed butt of your gun, b) didn't realize he probably could've asked for your LTCF, or c) didn't consider you a thread and didn't want to harass you.

Realize I'm not criticizing you or your actions. I'm just pointing out for others that if this were me, I'd make sure I had my LTCF on me.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; April 16th, 2009 at 10:13 AM.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

c) didn't consider you a thread and didn't want to harass you.

Realize I'm not criticizing you or your actions. I'm just pointing out for others that if this were me, I'd make sure I had my LTCF on me.
    a.) I always carry my LTCF in my wallet.

b.) I believe he saw the weapon but at the time I had groceries in my cart bagged and paid for. My girlfriend in her scrubs standing by the cart pointing out movies she wanted to see. I doubt that would come off as a threat ..but you never know. I hope I didn't do anything wrong? Is it considered taboo/wrong to not know at all times the appearance of your weapon? (I'm not trying to argue I actually want to know if that is something i need to be much more aware of.) I didn't want to touch it or look at it and them seem like I didn't belong i wanted to walk around like just another patron (which that is exactly what I was)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast