Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default .357/.38 Defense ammo

Used to be that all you can find in .357 was 158 grain stuff. Now, it seems like most people use lighter weights. Also, is a .357 too much? I heard that today's +P are close to the old base .357 loadings and that today's .357 are real hot. The gun I would be shooting them out of is a 3" S&W model 66. When I used to shoot this gun alot, I was comfortable w/ full .357 loads.

So, any recommendations on a defense round for me & my S&W?

Default Re: .357/.38 Defense ammo

The only currently manufactured .38 Special ammo I'm aware of that comes even close to a mid-range .357 Magnum in terms of velocity is Buffalo Bore's 125 and 158 gr +P loadings.

Most 125 grain .38 Special +P ammo is going to move out somewhere between 900 and 1000 fpm, 158 grain +P ammo somewhere around 850-900 fpm ammo.

.38 ammo isn't nearly as hot as .357 ammo, but modern bullet design has made .38s a very viable defensive load. SXT, XTP, Gold Dot, Golden Saber and Hydra-Skoks all expand reliably and penetrate predictably. Depending on the manuafactures design goals, each brand expands and penetrates differently from the others, so once you have some rounds that hit to point of aim, you need to study each one to pick the one that gives the performance you want/need. Given the good modern bullets and the ease of shooting and controlling a .38 Special (which also lends itself to more practice), the .38 is a very good defensive choice, better than it's ever been in the past. But it's no .357 Magnum!!

I'm currently carrying Winchester .38 Special SXT +Ps in my Ruger SP101. They hit to point of aim, are super easy to control, in tests they consistently expand to about .55 caliber even through barriers such as heavy clothing, and penetrate about 10 inches. Not a lot of penetration, but about perfect for my needs in a home and personal defense round. I do want to try out some of Buffalo Bore's standard pressure and +P ammo, if I can ever find it in a store.

In .357 magnum, pick about any brand of 125 grain JHP, and you'll have the most effective fight stopper you can get in a handgun.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: .357/.38 Defense ammo

your barrel length is kinda on the fence between 'short enough for concealed & comfortable carry' and 'long enough to squeeze enough velocity for reliable expansion' especially with .38 spl/.38 spl +p

over on other forum sites, there seem to be 2 current loads that show reliable expansion and good penetration; the 'old school' load is the Remington variant of the FBI/Metro/Chicago load which is a 158gr lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint .38 spl +p that has softer lead than the Winchester variant; the 'new school' is Speer's Short Barrel Gold Dot 135gr jacketed & bonded hollowpoint .38 spl +p (this is the load that was developed for the NYPD for their arsenal of steel framed S&W snubbies used for undercover & backup) which was marketed to LEO and civilian users simultaneously

there is also a penchant for people who carry lightweight snubbies who rather not get bit by the heavier recoil of .38 spl +p loads; there are several brands/types of ammpo that fit this criteria; for a long while Winchester Silvertip 110gr aluminum jacketed hollowpoint and Federal Hydrashok 110gr jacketed hollowpoint were top of the list; Buffalo Bore came out with a few .38 spl (non +p) loads in the last 2 years; Federal heard the cries from the wilderness and is resurrecting their Nyclad 125gr lead semiwadcutter hollowpoint .38 spl (non +p) load after a long hiatus; the Nyclad load is still the golden standard & those who had a stash (before the reintroduction) were sitting on a gold mine andnot sharing their wealth (the stuff became scarce)

as far as .357 mag loads, the venerable 125gr sjhp loads still are a golden standard with alot of modern hollowpoint designs manufactured in the 125gr weight class and loaded fullbore; I opt for some sense of control in leiu of insane power ratings; I used to run various loads like Winchester WWB Personal Defense 110gr sjhp, Remington Golden Sabre 125gr jhp (medium velocity load), or Winchester Silvertip 145gr jhp (medium velocity load); Speer developed a 'marginal' .357 mag load based on the 135gr jhp they use in their .38 spl +p offering; it is also called a 'short barrel' load advertised @ 990 to 1000 fps from a 2" barrel; this would put you @ 1050 to 1100 fps with your slightly longer tube while gaining higher power numbers over the .38 spl +p load

sky is the limit on the variety of brands, types, weights, and power levels available; best wishes for success in your hunt!!!