Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romy G gas tube

Default Romy G gas tube

I need your help, yet again. I bought a K-VAR plum furniture set for my Romy G, and I have almost finished putting it together. I need to find a friend who has a vice so I can remove the wood hand guard from the gas tube. That hand guard is next to impossible to remove.

After several attempts to do it with a wrench and by hand (sans vise), I gave up. Now, after I put the gas tube back in place, the lever of the sight block won't clear the gas tube in order to lock it in place. I don't know why. I put the gas tube from my other Romy G in, and it locks in place just fine. The back end of the gas tube looks like it's needs to be filed down in order to allow the level to lock in place.

I thought of buying a replacement gas tube. They seem somewhat difficult to come by. K-Var has the Bulgaria, Arsenal gas tube with the vent holes for about $24.

I read that some gas tubes may need some modifications to fit the Romy G. Could I use just about any type of gas tube, or am I better off just trying to file down the one I have?

Thanks!

p.s.

Please let me know where I can buy the gas tube if you guys know of a good site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sinatra; May 4th, 2008 at 11:34 AM.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Romy G gas tube

first, id make sure the tube is fully seated. there is a tab on the bottom that needs to lock in.

try placing it, then giving it a fairly sharp whack down with the palm of your hand.

other than that, most all gas tubes are fit to the rifles. if you were to get a new one, it would likley have to be custom fit to the rifle anyway.

if this is the tube that came off of the rifle in the first place (if i read you correctly) then it SHOULD fit back on reguardless of the furniture on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    first, id make sure the tube is fully seated. there is a tab on the bottom that needs to lock in.

try placing it, then giving it a fairly sharp whack down with the palm of your hand.

other than that, most all gas tubes are fit to the rifles. if you were to get a new one, it would likley have to be custom fit to the rifle anyway.

if this is the tube that came off of the rifle in the first place (if i read you correctly) then it SHOULD fit back on reguardless of the furniture on it.
    Are you referring to the little lever/latch on the piece that holds the bottom hand guard in place? The one that I had to flip up in order to remove the hand guard? Should that latch be flush with the barrel or down below it?

Thanks!

(Northumberland County)

if you look at the bottom of the gas tube in this pic, you can see there is a tab in the back, it steps in, then there is another tab in the front. this forms a little u-channel at the rear bottom of the tube. this "u" should lock over the ledge in the rsb.

--------------------------------

that lever should be under the level of the lower hg when seated. as long as its not sticking up, it wont give you any probs.
    Last edited by deth502; May 5th, 2008 at 12:13 PM.
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Northumberland County)

IF you had to fit the gas tube to a rifle, you would GO SLOWLY and file where you outlined in the op untill the tube would just lock in nice and tight.

but if i have infered correctly, this tube fit on the rifle before, so unless you distorted it clamping it (shouldnt have, it should have just been held lightly in the vice without putting pressure on it) there should be no reason to need to modify it to fit.

imo, i think your just not getting it to seat all the way in, but i could be wrong.

you didnt move anything else while it was off, did you ?? (press off rsb or gb or something??)

Red face Re: Romy G gas tube

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    IF you had to fit the gas tube to a rifle, you would GO SLOWLY and file where you outlined in the op untill the tube would just lock in nice and tight.

but if i have infered correctly, this tube fit on the rifle before, so unless you distorted it clamping it (shouldnt have, it should have just been held lightly in the vice without putting pressure on it) there should be no reason to need to modify it to fit.

imo, i think your just not getting it to seat all the way in, but i could be wrong.

you didnt move anything else while it was off, did you ?? (press off rsb or gb or something??)
    I removed the gas tube from the rifle, so you're right in that it did fit at one point. I tried to remove the HG (by hand) by using a wrench and gripping the HG in my other hand. That didn't work (too tight). I didn't notice any distortion to the shape, so I'm not sure what I may have done. It's probably something simply like the lever in the lower HG. I need to check it again.

you didnt move anything else while it was off, did you ?? (press off rsb or gb or something??)[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but what does "press off rsb or gb" mean? RSB = rear sight block and GB = gas block?

If that's the case, then no, I didn't. I appreciate your help 'cos this is my first attempt at redoing the furniture.

Deth,
    I fixed it! I think that the wood HG was twisted from when I tried to remove it by hand and once I was able to put the new synthetic HG on, it fit really well. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Sinatra; May 5th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

(Northumberland County)

ok, i just read your op again, i though you had already changed the furniture.

so the top hg was just cocked stopping it from going down then?

glad it was an easy fix for you.

some times they just dont want to go one way. twisting them to one way, then the other, back and forth till' they spin loose usually helps. (if there's a next time )

and yes, (almost) rsb = rear site base and gb= gas block.

Oh, one last question. On the inside of the upper HG there is a metal clamp. I did not install it in the new synthetic HG. I thought that I read somewhere that the metal clamp was not necessary for synthetic HG's. Is this correct?

Thanks.

(Northumberland County)

most synth hg's ive seen dont have provisions to accept the spring.

if there was, id put it in, if not, dont worry about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast