Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sig mosqito

(Westmoreland County)

Default sig mosqito

Thinking about buying one of these sig mosquito and saw on some forums that they had some feed problems.Has anyone bought one in the last 6 months and found that it still has problems or are they working as they should now.

Thanks

Jim

(Centre County)

Default Re: sig mosqito

bought mine back in June.
    Initially it worked great. I loved it alot
    It feels like a real gun, have decent recoil - In a good way, was not too picky with ammo(oddly, mine did not care for CCI mini-mag, which is what Sig recommend to use), and was accurate enough.

Then after few months, it started to become more picky with ammo.
    it got progrssively worse.

I clean it out several times. I even took it apart completely, and really clean it, but that didn't help.

It went from jam one to two rounds per mag to may be cycle one or two rounds per mag.

Mine had both feeding and extraction issue.
    Last Thursday, it failed to extract all 10rds, and i had enough.

I traded it for Taurus Tracker .22LR on Friday..

I had P-22 before Sig, and that went from great to jam-o-matic as well, but it took about 2 years, and 10000+rds
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Luzerne County)

I love SIG pistols but I've read too much about feed problems, enough that I'd never own one. That's as far as I know. Hopefully someone with a new model may chime in for ya.

(Westmoreland County)

I havent bought one yet but I was between that and the p-22. I would have rather bought the sig but I read, havent seen first hand just read that the trigger on the sig wasnt that great. I went with the p-22 which doesnt fit my hand that well but its got about 600rds through it and Ive yet to have a problem.

(Philadelphia County)

I posted on this before, but can't find the post on PAFOA. Here's the original reply on why I love my SIG Mosquito.

"Every 22LR pistol has its short-comings and as do the conversion kits. In addition to owning a Mosquito, I own a Kimber conversion kit for my 1911 Kimber, formerly owned an AA kit for it, a CMMG kit for my AR15, and just bought a G26 AA conversion kit. The pros and cons have been listed for most models and there have been sufficient bashing of the SIG Mosquito for its pickiness on ammo; however, I am going to throw in the pros of owning a SIG Mosquito.

1. It looks and feel like a REAL gun. It doesn't have the spacey look of the Neo, not the awkward skinny Luger look of the Buckmark or the MKIII, nor the water-pistol look of the P22. If you want to select a .22 that has an overall "gun" look and feel, you cannot beat the SIG. (Man, right there I just offended 90% of 22's owners, none intended, just personal opinion).

2. It's a DA/SA. Sure you can plink all day long with light-weight triggers, if your other gun's triggers are light-weight too. With a DA/SA, you can truly exercise your trigger finger strength by pulling DA for a while, or practice DA/SA transition, or shoot SA all the time.

3. From the slide catch, to manual safety, to decocker, the parts are the right sizes, feels, and in the right places (again, like real guns). Other than the grip safety, the Mosquito has every functional and safety feature of any common pistol, even those with mag drop safety. The only thing is that the manual safety is slide-mounted, so it is not something for the 1911 shooters.

4. It's accurate and it's a SIG.

I guess I'm a pragmatist. I want my 22 shooting to translate as much as possible to my use habits of my "real" guns. With the Mosquito, this allows for me to accomplish both this and having fun at the range...even if I have to stock up in a few types of ammo that it will eat (CCI Mini-mag and Winchester Wildcat). As a matter of fact, I use the ammo pickiness short-coming as an advantage: practice malfunction drills with the Mosquito by putting a round of "bad" ammo into good ammo. "

Al

(Luzerne County)

Looks like someone on SIGforum is asking about them, there is a fresh thread starting. Maybe I should reconsider

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...35/m/629107722

It's manufactured by GSG (German Sport Guns), FYI.

Cheers

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
    Looks like someone on SIGforum is asking about them, there is a fresh thread starting. Maybe I should reconsider

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...35/m/629107722

It's manufactured by GSG (German Sport Guns), FYI.

Cheers
    I haven't been able to find and reliable source regarding this. Can you provide a valid source? Thanks.

Al

(York County)

I've heard the GSG thing before as well on the Sig Forum but nothing to give you a good source. No matter who makes it, it carries the Sig name and thus its reputation, which in this case does it no honor.

Mine has been picky from the start, bought new back in January. However I have learned to only use Federal, and CCI and have had no issues as long as its clean and the Federal ammo lightly oiled, as stated in the manual (CCI didn't need it). It needs to be clean. Did I say it had to be cleaned between outings? Can't say that enough. Fire one mag in mine and put it away uncleaned and the next time out it will malfunction. All it requires is a patch run trough the barrel and its good. Its gotten better over the many bricks I have put through it. Loosened up a little I believe.

For a back pocket beater pistol I'm happy with it. I bought the sport verson but have sense swapped the barrel to the standard version to get it shorter. I don't regret buyingit but would I buy another? No, for their price I would rather have a S&W 422/622.
    Last edited by Jolly; December 1st, 2009 at 01:46 PM.

(Washington County)

I have one I bought about a year ago. The only FTF issue I had was trying to shoot bird shot out of it.
    I shoot cheap ammo though it all the time. With a good cleaning afterwards, and had no problems.
    I like that it is a larger size weapon, it fits my hands well. It is very accurate.
    I have the standard barrel, two tone model.
    I have seen many posts on this site and others of people having issues, but I figure that most people don't write unless they are having issues.

(Bucks County)

do yourself a favor and buy something else besides the mosquito and save yourself possible headaches. i bought one and have had nothing but problems with it from day one. the last time i took the mosquito out it became a single shot pistol because it failed to feed the next round and i had to rack the slide after each shot. if you want a great 22pistol go with a SW, ruger, browning buckmark, beretta neos or CZ kadet. SW, Taurus and ruger also make really nice revolvers in 22 LR and 22 magnum. all these pistols are great choices and much better than the mosquito.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast