Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Cambria County)

Default 3 Dead in Altoona Subway Shooting.

Getting close to my house now. Altoona has an occasional shooting. But this is the first time anything of this caliber has gone down around here. The one guy was just picking up his mail and the guy shot him as he walked past him. Thank goodness they got the guy.

After the shooting he head towards the Field of Dream Baseball Field. And they wonder why "Soccor Mom" carries to the games.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/19112638/detail.html

Police Arrest Accused Gunman In Triple Shooting

Blair County District Attorney Rich Consiglio said two men are dead and another victim remains in critical condition after a triple shooting in Altoona.

Consiglio, Trp. Dave McGarvey of the Pennsylvania State Police, and Altoona Police Chief Janice Freehling held a press conference late Monday.

They said Altoona police responded to the Subway restaurant on 58th Street near the Logan Valley Mall just after 5 p.m. Friday. They found two employees shot.

Consiglio said the gunman entered the restaurant through a back entrance and demanded money.

One employees is in critical condition, she's expected to be okay. The other employee died from his injuries.

Spokeswoman Linda Russo, of the Hollidaysburg Area School district, confirmed with WJACTV.com that the male employee was a senior at the high school. She said the student played soccer, wrestled and had recently placed first for an Electronics Technology award from the Greater Altoona Career and Technical Center.

Russo said grief counselors will be on hand to talk to students, staff and faculty members.

Police said after the gunman shot the victims he headed towards the Field of Dreams baseball field.
    Consiglio said the gunman then shot and killed a man who had just left his apartment to pick up his mail. The district attorney said the suspect then encountered another man and demanded keys to his car. That man was not hurt.

Moments later, police from Allegheny Township, Logan Township, and State Police arrested the man at the apartment complex.

Consiglio said Altoona police are leading the investigation at the Subway restaurant. Pennsylvania State Police in Hollidaysburg are leading the investigation at the apartment complex.

Police have not released the gunman or victim's names.

Consiglio said family members of the victims have been notified but that police want to talk to those folks.

The suspect was arraigned by Magisterial District Judge Jeffrey Auker. He faces criminal homicide and attempted robbery charges among other charges.

Consiglio said he wants one magistrate to hear both cases for when it comes time for a preliminary hearing
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

Default Re: 3 Dead in Altoona Subway Shooting.

I sent this article to all my buddies and explained that this is why I'm "paranoid" and carry a firearm all the time.

Who says you don't need a firearm on you just to check the mail. Man, this is messed up.

(Blair County)

It happened around five and that area is filled with peopleat that time. Yes we have shootings here. But you are right this is the first time (I remember) something like this has happened here. Ussually it is at a bar or a questionable residence.

(Huntingdon County)

Sad to hear about this so close to home.
    I have eaten there many times, and my dad is in love with the Texas Hot Weiner place across the road.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the families involved.

(Blair County)

I work about 1/2 mile from this subway and have gone there for lunch before. Sometimes I drive past this subway on the way home from work... I took the highway today or I would have drove by at about 5 after 5pm... almost exactly when this was taking place.

All of these events happening are going to give the liberals more ammo on why guns should be banned, because we all know criminals would obey those laws.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the victims.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by JrFreak View Post
    All of these events happening are going to give the liberals more ammo on why guns should be banned, because we all know criminals would obey those laws.
    Yep, they just can't seem to understand that they will not ever get the guns off of the criminal. Just like illegal drugs. If you want it. Someone has it for sale. The only ones that will pay the price will be you and I, cause then, I won't be able to defend myself.

Till that day gets here. I will continue to carry any time I leave the house.
    Last edited by Mtbkski; April 7th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    I sent this article to all my buddies and explained that this is why I'm "paranoid" and carry a firearm all the time.

Who says you don't need a firearm on you just to check the mail. Man, this is messed up.
    While I am of the same mindset I have to say it may not have done a damn bit of good if the guy had been armed to get his mail. The shooter had the drop on him and was intent on commiting an act of violence. Unless you walk around with your firearm drawn there is nothing you could have realisticly done IMO.

(Montgomery County)

I know this is sad to say so mater of factly---but, this is a sign of the times. Stay prepared and stay alert. I think it is only going to continue to get worse.

(Cambria County)

They said he was headed for the little league fields.

And all those poeple are on Shefearsnothing for carrying at her kids Soccor Games.

Imagine if the kids had been playing when he got there. We could only hope that there would have been an armed citizen there to try and stop him if he decided to open up on them. If the kids had been there, this just may have happened.

Now you have a good reason for carrying at the kids Little League Games.

(Blair County)

here is the update
    http://altoonamirror.com/page/conten...8.html?nav=742
    Shooter identified, formally charged

10 a.m.) Police have charged Nicholas A. Horner of Altoona with two counts of criminal homicide, robbery and criminal attempt of homicide for the shootings late Monday afternoon in the Eldorado area.
    Horner entered the rear entrance of the Subway restaurant at 100 58th St. around 5 p.m. Monday, police said. He first shot Scott Garlick, 19, of Hollidaysburg and then went to the front of the store and shot another employee, Michele Petty, in the hip/pelvic area causing her to fall to the floor, police said.
    Garlick later died from the wounds he received. Petty was listed in critical condition but was expected to recover, police said.
    Horner demanded money from another Subway employee at the counter, police said.
    The employee took money from the register and put it into a Subway bag and handed the bag to Horner, police said.
    Horner then ran out the back of the restaurant and ran west in the area of the 6000 block of Maryland Avenue, where he shot and killed Raymond E. Williams, 64, police said.
    Williams was going to check his mail from his apartment at 6005 Maryland Ave., police said.
    Horner was apprehended by police as he was running from the vehicles in the apartment complex parking lot, police said.
    A Subway bag with money in it was removed from Horner's right front pants pocket and he had pieces of U.S. mail covered in blood and addressed to Raymond Williams.
    Mirror reporters are working on full stories for Wednesday editions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast