Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default WHAT WOULD U SPEND $700 ON

i'm having a dilema here. i have a $700 gun budget right now. here is where i'm stuck. keep in mind that there is nothing i really "need" and i'm not looking for handguns or bolt action milsurps either.

option 1 pick up a wasr package from classic arms simply because i still don't own a 7.62 ak

opt 2. pick up all the hi cap mags i'll ever need then some.

opt 3. split between hi cap mags and whats left of decent priced surplus ammo.

opt 4. buy whats left of decent surplus ammo.

thanks in advance for your replies.

Default Re: WHAT WOULD U SPEND $700 ON

With all the uncertainty in the ammunition market, I would stock up whatever you need and then look at buying whatever you want next.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jt0311 View Post
    i'm having a dilema here. i have a $700 gun budget right now. here is where i'm stuck. keep in mind that there is nothing i really "need" and i'm not looking for handguns or bolt action milsurps either.

option 1 pick up a wasr package from classic arms simply because i still don't own a 7.62 ak
    Overpriced. Wait for prices to go back down once the Great Panic Buy of 2008-2009 (Trademarked NRA) is over. Then you'll be able to pick up two for that price.

opt 2. pick up all the hi cap mags i'll ever need then some.
    Depends on the prices for hi-cap mags. But not a bad idea if the prices are still reasonable. Having zombie guns doesn't do you any good if you have to reload the same 3 mags in between waves.

opt 3. split between hi cap mags and whats left of decent priced surplus ammo.
    Might be the best option... see my replies to #2 and #4

opt 4. buy whats left of decent surplus ammo.

thanks in advance for your replies.
    Ammo is ridiculously expensive, in general. If you can get a good price, by all means this would be the best option. But finding a good price is nigh impossible.

How about using the money to attend some training courses?
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

ammo ammo ammo

(Allegheny County)

In general, I'd stay out of the market right now.

I'm actually in the process of ordering a handgun for carrying, but it's unrelated to the current panic buying, and I'm willing to wait the couple of weeks on delivery to get it at normal prices rather than inflated market prices. $559 for a new manufacture Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact with Trijicon Night Sights is pretty much "normal price", and I'll probably have it in 2-3 weeks.

I've got some ammunition on back order, but once again I'm not stockpiling. I'm just trying to ensure supply for my weekend shooting. I've got enough on hand to last me until those orders arrive, and then that should me for about 6 months.

I won't be buying anymore ammunition until I start to run low on that, by which time I expect some of the panic to have subsided. Or, at the very least, for the panic buyers to have run out of money and maxed out their credit cards.

I guess I'm not really that worried about an imminent assault on gun rights, not that we shouldn't remain vigilant in opposing any attempts at doing so.

I'm certainly not worried about anything that would restrict ammo availability, so I don't see any need to stockpile that. I don't see the micro-chipping and ammo serializing proposals (which are the main concern re: gun control affecting ammunition availability) of having any chance of succeeding at a Federal level.

That kind of thing effects too many "mainstream gun owners" so it has no chance of passing. What you have to worry about most is a renewed 'Assault Weapon Ban', since that seems to be one of the issues where many hunters and more 'mainstream' gun owners are willing to turn on the rest of us. Fortunately I think the NRA has done a decent job of promoting the message that we all need to stick together, but there are still a lot of people out there with bolt action rifles and pump shotguns who don't care about what happens to evil black rifles.

Even though I think a renewed AWB is the most likely of gun control proposals, buying AR lowers as a lot of people seem to be doing still doesn't do you any good since it's mostly the combination of features that you attach to said lower that is affected by the AWB. As far as I'm aware there are no features on a stripped lower that are different now than what was available during the ban. It would still be illegal to assemble that lower into a gun with too many "evil features". So if you're really worried about it, you need to assemble the gun into a 'banned' configuration before the ban goes into effect.

The biggest fear you should have from a renewed AWB is probably the availability of high-cap mags. So if you want to stock up on anything in anticipation of a ban, high-cap mags are where it's at in my opinion. Especially considering that magazines are, essentially, disposable wear items.
    Last edited by eXceLon; March 17th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    ammo ammo ammo
    This reminds me.........I need to buy more ammo!!!!

I tend to agree with this post.

(Montgomery County)

I would lay that $700.00 down on a Sig 556 pistol. That's what I would do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jt0311 View Post
    buy whats left of decent surplus ammo.
    Buy ammo . . . . yep
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Ammo,Ammo,Ammo!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Re-loading stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Overpriced. Wait for prices to go back down once the Great Panic Buy of 2008-2009 (Trademarked NRA) is over. Then you'll be able to pick up two for that price.

Depends on the prices for hi-cap mags. But not a bad idea if the prices are still reasonable. Having zombie guns doesn't do you any good if you have to reload the same 3 mags in between waves.

Might be the best option... see my replies to #2 and #4

Ammo is ridiculously expensive, in general. If you can get a good price, by all means this would be the best option. But finding a good price is nigh impossible.

How about using the money to attend some training courses?
    i'm kind of stuck between op1 and op3. i don't shoot that much and i have enough ammo to keep me shooting for the next 5 years. do you really think the ak's will come back down to the $300 range? thanks for the idea about training but its kind of insulting. i'm 28 and i've been shooting for 23 yrs. i'm an oif vet with some combat experience in the marine corps and i come from a family of vets who take weapons safety very seriously. i know i'm new to this forum but i'm not new to guns. i know there is no way for you to know this so please don't take it personally. i do agree with training courses when taught by the right instructor but i don't see myself ever "paying" for training courses. i do how ever agree with your logic and i thank you for that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast