Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default My thoughts on the so called ammunition....

My thoughts on the so called ammunition shortage/ammo hoarding.

1. Economics 101: Simple Supply & demand.
    Limit the amount of a product
    Demand outstrips supply
    Price goes up to slow demand
    Paniced people pay the increasing price & deplete the supply.

2. Rationing things just tends to make people want it more.

3. I am a 60+ year old and have a 4 to 5 year supply of ammo on hand at all times. Before someone asks how much ammunition consists of a 4 or 5 year supply; the answer is it is a different amount for each shooter. I have been "seriously shooting" for 45 years and have maintained a log of caliber, number rounds shot, and price of the ammo or cost of components to roll my own. I use a ten year average to figure my yearly shooting needs.

4. Wish someone would explain to me what constitutes hoarding.
    My definition of hoarding: Having MORE than a lifetime supply on hand.

5. The ones accusing people of hoarding always seem to be the ones that didn't stock up.

6. I glad that I hoarded ammunition when hoarding was a good thing.

On a side note I was at my gun enablers today and looking over his reloading supplies and noticed his primer stock was bottoming out and commented on this. A customer at the shop said he would sell me all the primers I wanted at a cost of $75 per 1000. With a smile I told him, I'll do you one better, I'll sell you all the primers you want at $60 per 1000. Hell, I am still recycling the primers I bought 15 years or so years ago after the great primer scare.

At the present time my AMMUNITION COLLECTION is worth more than my GUN COLLECTION

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; May 2nd, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: My thoughts on the so called ammunition....

This ammo shortage is a concern for me. I'm a recent college grad so money is tight. My ammo supply at home is menial at best. Would you say it'd be better to buy now in anticipation of the shortage getting worse or would you suggest waiting until things calm down?

(Mercer County)

IMHO
    1. There were supply problems back in the 60’s when Congress was discussing the Gun Control Act of 68. This was prompted by the RFK & MLK assassinations.

2. The shortage in the 90's were due to discussions on Brady [Brady Bill was passed in 94] and the shortage in 7.62x39mm was caused shut off of cheap Chicom ammo - it took a bit for sufficient supplies of Russian, Finn, etc ammo to fill the void. There was also a shortage of JHP personal defense ammo caused by Metzenbaum's idea to have a 10,000 percent tax, or some such number, on ammo as well as statements that JHPs might be banned.
    The "Great Primer Shortage" happened in 93 or 94. The primer scare was partially caused by rumors that ammunition was being date coded to go bad after a certain time.

3. I know people still sitting on generators, gallons of gas, gold, ammunition, and pallets of MRE's from Y2K scare.

As in the past, people stock-up when we see problems coming. With the new regime in Washington being so anti second amendment and the Congress and the Senate on the liberal side firearm sells have gone through the roof. As in the early 90's before the Brady Bill was passed people who never owned guns are buying at a record rates. Along with the firearms ammo is bought.
    This ammo shortage will pass, but my guess is ammo sales will remain higher than normal for little while until peoples memories of shortage fades.
    These panic buyers have their limit, and once the limit is reached the excess buying will stop. Give it 6 to 8 months and you'll be able to find all you want or need.

The above is my opinion and my opinion only based on what I have seen in the past

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Somerset County)

I'm not hoarding , I'm stocking up for my grandsons . Already have all I need . I figure they might need some when they grow up .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Allegheny County)

oracle,
    Thanks for adding your thoughts. It's helpful to read things from people who have had some experience with the whole "ammo supply/demand thing".

As you have a pretty detailed record of "what you've seen", I have a question to ask you, but I don't have time to phrase it properly, so I'll be back later...
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

$70.00 per thousand? was he serious? people just have to stop buying, period. we are the problem no one else. i havnt bought ammo in about a year, i refuse to pay .60 per round of 223 just shoot less and make the shots count, no more mag dumps.
    FJB

(Susquehanna County)

It's nice to know that you think prices will come back down to normal. I'm going to hold off till prices and supply settle back to normal. I really hope there's no ban I'm in Japan right now so I cant buy any goodies that might be banned.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    $70.00 per thousand? was he serious? people just have to stop buying, period. we are the problem no one else. i havnt bought ammo in about a year, i refuse to pay .60 per round of 223 just shoot less and make the shots count, no more mag dumps.
    Unless things change I'll be getting the .22LR conversion when I get my AR15.

Quote Originally Posted by mchaley View Post
    Unless things change I'll be getting the .22LR conversion when I get my AR15.
    22's are the only bullets i'll buy right now, even their expensive.
    FJB

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAINORACLE View Post
    My thoughts on the so called ammunition shortage/ammo hording.

5. The ones accusing people of hoarding always seem to be the ones that didn't stock up.

oracle
    BINGO!

That certainly seems to be the case in many instances. Hindsight is .223

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast