Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Opinions sought on a potential handgun trade

I have the opportunity to trade my much beloved 3" Ruger SP101 for a 4" S&W Model 64.

My Ruger isn't quite a year old, with about 1400 rounds of .38 Special and mostly light .357 Magnum handloads through it. The Smith is a 2007 with only 36 rounds through it.

I do have the option of carrying .357s in my SP101 if I want, but I don't. The full power .357s I have are used in my Marlin 1894. I simply don't enjoy shooting .357s from a handgun. I don't like the noise, and the recoil is snappier than I care for. Even the handloads that I carry in the woods are really nothing more than a .38 +P, 158 gr cast bullets at 900 fps out of the 3" barrel. I don't even carry .357s as a defensive load, since I control the .38s much more satisfactorily.

The SP101 is a little smaller and lighter than the Model 64. I'm not sure if it's a more rugged gun or not, though. It's a gun that I hit very well with, and enjoy having on my hip.

The Model 64, with the 4" barrel, may be more accurate. It's got an extra round. It is suitable for IDPA competition, which my wife and I really want to start shooting this spring, whereas the little Ruger really isn't. I've owned Model 10s before, and carried them with ease. In fact, it was a Model 10 I was carrying when four guys tried to take a robbery too far when I was working mid-shift at a convenience store, a situation resolved without shots being fired. I carried the Model 15 for a couple years before we transitioned to the M9, and it served me well. IOW, I've got a fair amount of time trusting these guns, and am quite comfortable with them.

So, I'm torn. I really love my SP101, but I also like the Model 64 and it is actually the gun I was saving for to have a bigger gun to supplement my SP101.

Any thoughts out there?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Opinions sought on a potential handgun trade

Earlier today I just told my wife I'd never sell my S&W model 64-3. It's about 30yrs old, pinned heavy-barrel. With the Hogue monogrip it feels very natural in my hand. More accurate than I can ever be, which translates to fun at the range w/o annoyance of random flyers. Do what feels right to you, I know I love my 64.
    Last edited by QuakertownRich; January 9th, 2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: WOOHOO! 400th post!

(Lancaster County)

Keep the Ruger , you can beat them to death and they just keep going. Wish I would have never gotten rid of mine.
    No longer posting

(Bucks County)

Joe, it sounds like you really have your heart set on the Smith. If you can't do both (the obvious choice), then don't be afraid to leave the comfort of your old Ruger for the Smith you really want.

(Centre County)

if its for anything else, I'd keep the option of .357magnum just in case when things gets real heairly.

With that being said, S&W is hard to pass up..
    I have model 65-2(same gun, but chambered for .357magnum), which I charish every min of shooting it, and i would NEVER trade or sell.
    K frame revolvers, which in my opinion is just perfect size in everyway. Not too big for carrying, and not too small for comfortable shooting, and has that classic no underlug look, is among my cleanest look there is.
    And VERY accurate, and DA trigger is just perfect(or great base for build up)t to boo
    I just love S&W wheel gun..

But model 66 being chambered for .38special only, while SP101 gives you option to shoot .357magnum is hard to ignore...
    Last edited by Mity2; January 9th, 2009 at 04:55 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

In general I personally would take a Smith over a Ruger. IMO the Smith triggers are better. If you have no intention of ever shooting .357 for defense or large 4 legged critters you might as well go for it. +p ammo from a 4" barrel should be more than adequate and easily managed from the 64.

You say that you’re not fond of .357, but have you ever shot them from a
    4”? Much more pleasurable experience. Anyway if this is going to be a carry gun and you don’t miss the magnums I would go for it.

Of course if don’t want to tilt the planet off its axis you may want to try and keep both.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    In general I personally would take a Smith over a Ruger. IMO the Smith triggers are better. If you have no intention of ever shooting .357 for defense or large 4 legged critters you might as well go for it. +p ammo from a 4" barrel should be more than adequate and easily managed from the 64.

You say that you’re not fond of .357, but have you ever shot them from a
    4”? Much more pleasurable experience. Anyway if this is going to be a carry gun and you don’t miss the magnums I would go for it.

Of course if don’t want to tilt the planet off its axis you may want to try and keep both.
    I've fired .357s from 4" guns. It's not the recoil that gets me, it's the muzzle blast. 110 grainers from the SP101 are very controllable, but I can't stand to practice with the noise. It actually gives me a flinch. I enjoy shooting .44 mags way more than I do .357s, because I REALLY hate the .357 muzzle blast. I know... the .44 isn't quiet, but it's a different kind of noise.

So, if I were to carry .357s for defensive use I would practice with .38s and carry .357s. I know it was done that way for a long time, but I prefer training with what I carry.

For 4 legged critters, I've got my Marlin .357 I LIKE .357s from that!! And .38s are tack drivers, real bunny bopper and deer hunting potential from one little rifle.

Keeping both.. I wish!! Right now, though, I just don't have the $$$ to drop cash on the .38 Special.

Thanks for the opinions, folks!!
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    So, if I were to carry .357s for defensive use I would practice with .38s and carry .357s. I know it was done that way for a long time, but I prefer training with what I carry.
    I can't argue that logic. I feel the same way about my 637. I don't keep it loaded with +p because I practice with standard pressure loads.

In my earlier post I was trying to discern whether you had any need to keep 357 in your sp101. Seems like you have it figured out you just need to make the tough choice of swapping it for a gun you like.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Pike County)

Back in the day, JoeW, there was a world of difference between .357 mag and .38 sp. Now you can still find hot .357 loads that will break you hand fired out of a smubbie, but you do not use them.
    If you look around a bit you can find .38 sp +P+ loads that come very close to base .357 loads.
    Ruger sp101 are overbuild like a tank, and are heavy due to this compared to many snubbies.
    Smith K's have been around for over 100 years, and have a proven track record. I have 4 myself.
    The 4" K will be a bit harder to cover, if you choose, but you can do things about that with holster choice and grips. Lots more grip choices for a K.
    When I OC I tend to carry my S&W 13 4" nickle.
    If you where happy with the S&W 10 I think you will be OK with the 64.
    But you will always miss the Ruger if you give it up.
    Is this a trade with a friend? Will he take payments rather than trade? Not my business, but for thought.

(Susquehanna County)

The Mod 64 is a good piece, you won't go wrong with it. IIRC it's +P rated so you'll be OK for all of your stated uses and for IDPA you only need to make a 125,000 power factor for SSR.

Make the trade and have a blast!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast