Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Help me figure this gun out

So I got an 8mm mauser a day ago for free. I was wondering if anyone could help me out with maybe what year production it ran and what the emblem on the stock is. Thanks

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/...416-224649.jpg

(Berks County)

Default Re: Help me figure this gun out

Oh and sorry for only one picture, ill have more up then.

(Chester County)

From the limited information provided by the photograph, my best guess is that its a K98, the standard German issue rifle during WWII. I am saying this because I notice that the bolt handle is blued and that is accurate with K98 bolts. The rifle is not original and has been sporterized. That emblem you see on the replacement stock is clearly for looks. It also looks like someone polished the bolt body to get it in the white, again, only aesthetics. To find out where/when it was made, take some close up pictures of the receiver with very clear light. Try taking pictures outside, they usually turn out very nice.

Does the rifle have stamped serial numbers that match? look at the numbers on the bolt, receiver, floor plate, and trigger housing. I say you really scored if you got it for free. If it were my rifle, I would want to replace that stock with a genuine K98 stock. They can be had for relatively cheap if you scour the web. I hope this info was helpful. Ill try and give you some more insight once you get pictures of that stamps. Hopefully the factory codes and date are still intact. Does it have any waffen eagles on it?
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(Carbon County)

I have to admit, I know little to nothing about Mausers - but if I was to start researching, I would start on a forum dedicated to the stuff:
    http://milsurpshooter.net/

or

http://forums.gunboards.com/

Both of which have Mauser specific areas, very active ones at that - and very specific as well - so once you determine what'cha got, you can talk all about it.

But the 8mm was made/or used by Spain, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Iran, Israel, Turkey, China, Egypt, Yugoslavia and Germany - among others - so there might be a plethora of marks stamped on the barrel as arsenal marks - pics of those, or finding them will help determine what you are holding.

And elementfreak431's assessment of the state of the gun and the stock is good - replace the stock at least and give the girl back some of her old glory (and try to un-bubba her too).

(Indiana County)

A shot of the top of the receiver is needed to see if there is any crests or year markings.
    There could be a Columbian, Spanish, Yugo, etc... crest or what appear to be initials but are actually German production codes and year like BYF 41, DOU, etc..
    Sometimes these were ground off but can still be read or traced with paper and a pencil.
    If not, is there anything stamped into the left side of the receiver?
    Ceskoslovenska BRNO or anything like that?

Arabic markings?

The stock is sporter replacement.
    The crest is just something artistic.

(Delaware County)

As mentioned, a picture of the top of the receiver is necessary to determine the rifles origin. It does look like a sporterized military issue mauser, but beyond that hard to tell without a pic of the receiver.

(Berks County)

Ok, ill try to have more pictures of it up soon. There's some rust and part of the stock has a little crack. Free is good enough for me

(Butler County)

The price was right, and it's a purty looking thing. Got to have the crest and any markings to determine the maker. Is/was it a military rifle that was sporterized or is it a mauser made sporting rifle. Hope it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    The price was right, and it's a purty looking thing. Got to have the crest and any markings to determine the maker. Is/was it a military rifle that was sporterized or is it a mauser made sporting rifle. Hope it's the latter.
    Most smiths that "Sporterize" Mausers will change the caliber when doing so.
    If the rifle is still 8mm, and has a militay stepped barrel, then it's most likely a sporterized and a re-stocked military. It's a pretty piece, and the "emblem" is most likely just inlays in the wood, by some stock maker showing off his skills, which appear to be considerable, it's not easy. It's odd that someone would go to the trouble to restock a military rifle, as usually, all that is done is a cut-down of the stock and maybe a fore-end tip to hide the end.
    The year, etc, can't be determined on the picture shown. Just opinions. Bortle is correct, if it's a factory sporter, i carries a LOT more value than a sporterized military.

Sorry, here's some additional info.
    On a commercial Mauser, there is no stripper clip ramp or cut out.
    If you don't know what this is, Ill explain, if possible.
    On the front of the rear bridge, there is a ramped area, with a 1/2' slot cut in it that you can slide the stripper clip in, and load cartridges. This ramp holds the clip verticle while the cartridges are "stripped" off and into the rifle. There is also a "cut out" on the left side of the receiver that is about 1" x 1" and is "U" shaped that is for the thumb to be able to push the cartridges into the rifle.
    I have never seen a military rifle without both of these features, except the ramp, which can be gound or filed off for scope mounts, but the 1/2" cutout remains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast