Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Decisons, decisions

I'm thinking on trading in my Taurus PT145 for something new. I'm down to either a Glock 27 or 33, Beretta 9000s or perhaps a Walther P99. What is everyone's opinions on these models or do you suggest something I haven't thought of? I'd like to keep it in the $500 and .40 - .45 cal range if possible.
    Last edited by phillyshooter; February 10th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Decisons, decisions

my vote would be for a springfield xd bi-tone .40 or .45
    cant beat it!

(Allegheny County)

Sounds like you're partial to double action triggers. For my money I don't believe that you can beat a a CZ75 in 9mm. Running a close second is a FN HiPower. If you must have that DA trigger, I'd skip the Glock and look at the latest Ruger SR9. Hi Capacity manual safety. Overall it's a much nicer DA than a Glock for a lot less money.

(Philadelphia County)

I totally forgot about the XD, I've handled a couple of these at gun shops and shows. I also like that they come with the "XD pack" with a holster and mag holder. Thanks for reminding me.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by franknphilly View Post
    Sounds like you're partial to double action triggers. For my money I don't believe that you can beat a a CZ75 in 9mm. Running a close second is a FN HiPower. If you must have that DA trigger, I'd skip the Glock and look at the latest Ruger SR9. Hi Capacity manual safety. Overall it's a much nicer DA than a Glock for a lot less money.
    I wouldn't say I'm partial to DA triggers, I'm partial to something thats going to go bang when needed, which my PT145 only does when it feels like it. As far as Glocks go it's a love hate relationship, I love the fact that they are reliable but hate the grip angle.

(Dauphin County)

if you havent considered the CZ's yet i think you should, i think the XD's are great pistols if you want the plastic gun thing i would go that route, i have a CZ 40-P and love the feel and finish of the pistol. there .45 is an exceptional piece also CZ-97B also the CZ P-06 in .40.

personally i have been looking at the Springfield's and the Rock Island's that are out there both of which give you everything you need in a .45 right around the $500 mark.
    good luck and whatever you decide lets see some pics !!

(Pike County)

New is nice, but if you have a problem with the Taurus why not send it back to them for service. It's covered even if you got it used under their warrenty. Oh, and take a look at the FNP 45.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by franknphilly View Post
    The Ruger SR9 has a sharp safety in a bad location...you will cut yourself on it, eventually. The trigger pull is also gritty NIB, and long and heavy....the Glock is mostly pre-travel then a short heavier pull weight. The SR9 sights suck, and just from looking at the rear "dovetail" you can tell its gonna be a long time before companies make something for it. Additionally, this isn't even close to the size the OP is looking for.

I wouldn't expect much more from a CZ than I would from your Taurus....send it back if you like....it'll be gone for a few months, and may come back fixed (if your lucky).

.357SIG is going for close to $25/ box now...for FMJ. Why do you want this caliber again?

I'd opt for a G23, 27 or G30 (given your caliber requests). If you don't care for the Glocks...maybe the S&W M&P 40c, then.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    I wouldn't expect much more from a CZ than I would from your Taurus....send it back if you like....it'll be gone for a few months, and may come back fixed (if your lucky).

What negatives do you have against CZ?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    New is nice, but if you have a problem with the Taurus why not send it back to them for service. It's covered even if you got it used under their warrenty. Oh, and take a look at the FNP 45.
    I did buy the Taurus new, I know they have a lifetime warranty. The problem is I've heard too many horror stories about their customer service and looooong service times. I'd rather trade it in for something new and more reliable.

I like the FN line of firearms, I just have a hard time finding any shops that carry them. I'm the kind of person who likes to handle before I buy so online shopping is out of the picture.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast