Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default York County Judicial Center check in question

My wife has finally decided that she wants to get her LTCF, and I'd be going with her to drop the application off to the Sheriff's office. My question is I've read on here before in other threads that most Courthouses allow you to check a firearm, has anyone does this in York before? I would like to use this option if possible so that I dont have to leave my firearm in the car and also be unarmed to/from the building. Another thing I thought of, is if I remember correctly from dropping/picking up my LTCF is I think I remember seeing signs right on the door to the building saying "no firearms or cell phones beyond this point", does this sign not apply if you're intending to check it in at the security point?

(York County)

Default Re: York County Judicial Center check in question

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    My wife has finally decided that she wants to get her LTCF, and I'd be going with her to drop the application off to the Sheriff's office. My question is I've read on here before in other threads that most Courthouses allow you to check a firearm, has anyone does this in York before? I would like to use this option if possible so that I dont have to leave my firearm in the car and also be unarmed to/from the building. Another thing I thought of, is if I remember correctly from dropping/picking up my LTCF is I think I remember seeing signs right on the door to the building saying "no firearms or cell phones beyond this point", does this sign not apply if you're intending to check it in at the security point?
    York is great, walk in, head to the left, and calmly tell the sheriff that you would like to check in a firearm. Show him your Ltcf and he will sign you in and give you a locker. The guys there and in Cumberland county are always professional.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    York is great, walk in, head to the left, and calmly tell the sheriff that you would like to check in a firearm. Show him your Ltcf and he will sign you in and give you a locker. The guys there and in Cumberland county are always professional.
    Awesome, thanks for the info. What is the normal procedure, hand it over to them unholstered or with holster ? Drop the mag and clear the chamber out first or leave it as is?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. What is the normal procedure, hand it over to them unholstered or with holster ? Drop the mag and clear the chamber out first or leave it as is?
    As previously stated, go to the counter to the left, not towards the screening area first. Tell them you have to check a firearm. They have a sign in sheet behind the counter, deputy opens a locker, you take the numbered tag for that locker, you place your weapon in the locker, then you head towards the screening area.

My holster and Glock 21 wont both fit in the locker, so I carefully place the G21 in the locker and keep the empty holster on my side. There is no place to clear a weapon as far as I know, but I haven't been there since last Spring.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    As previously stated, go to the counter to the left, not towards the screening area first. Tell them you have to check a firearm. They have a sign in sheet behind the counter, deputy opens a locker, you take the numbered tag for that locker, you place your weapon in the locker, then you head towards the screening area.

My holster and Glock 21 wont both fit in the locker, so I carefully place the G21 in the locker and keep the empty holster on my side. There is no place to clear a weapon as far as I know, but I haven't been there since last Spring.
    Cool, thanks!

(York County)

I've never cleared a weapon there either. Smaller Sig p239 fits with holster, commander 1911 does not. I hated sticking it in the metal locker to bounce around, but it has to be done.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

(Delaware County)

<snip> 1911 does not. I hated sticking it in the metal locker to bounce around, but it has to be done.
    Carry guns get wear. Consider it a badge of honor.

(Lackawanna County)

I hated sticking it in the metal locker to bounce around, but it has to be done.
    This has been mentioned in a few threads here, and bears repeating. Dollar stores carry neoprene tablet sleeves, the 7 inch will hold a gun like my Shield and the 10 inch will hold a 1911-sized gun. Keeps the scratches away, folds up to hanky size to cart around, handy when your gun is out of the holster. This sounds like just the ticket for a locker condom.
    My goal in Life is to become the kind of problem that people throw money at.