Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rem 700 SPS Varment VS Tactical in .308

Varment has a 26 inch bbl and a synthetic stock i can use but isnt as comfy as the tactical

tactical has the nicer houge stock, but a 22 inch bbl...

i want to shoot distance, but dont want to spend the extra coin, then have to turn around and get a houge stock on the varment...

so, what do i get? .308 is the only caliber i am looking at, along with a Rem 700 only. its one or the other. but can the shorter barrel hold up to 800+ yards like the longer bbl can?
    This Space For Rent

Default Re: Rem 700 SPS Varment VS Tactical in .308

Hmmm, I was about to ask some other questions about what your price range was etc. I saw a really nice camouflage duracoat savage fcp10 in .308 that was in a HS precision stock, bushnell elite 3200, hardshell case and cleaning rod for buy it now $1100. That was a pretty good deal for that rifle, but I understand if you want a Remmy, I'm a Remmy man myself.

The first question that I want to ask you is this, what do you consider "distance"? You meantion 800 yards, so I'm guessing that's what you had in mind when you mention "distance". Are you stuck on the .308? The .308 will get to 800 yards, but it's falling like a rock and the velocities aren't all that great. Do you want to shoot paper at that distance? Do you intend on reloading? Would you consider some other calibers? What's the longest distance that you've shot before?

The question that you ask about the .308 is kind of a double edged sword one. I don't think the .308 is a very good caliber for 800 yard shooting even with a 26" barrel, but I prefer the magnums and short magnums. With that said, the 22" barrel can reach out to 800 yards, but you're gonna have quite a bit of drop and will definately need 20 moa bases to mount the scope on top of to have enough adjustment in your scope. The .308 isn't going that fast in the first place, so that's why alot of the long distance shooters choose the longer barrels. With that said, you can always account for drop, wind is what kills you the most. Just realize that with the loss in velocity, you increase the time of flight which increases the time that the wind can blow the bullet. I'm not sure exactly what you would lose in terms of velocity because I'm not a .308 shooter and it would also depend on what powder you plan on shooting and it's minimum burn length. Either way, the 22" barrel can get there, but it ain't gonna have much left when it does.

800 yards with .223. the rifle ranges the Marine Corps uses all have an 800 yard line and some have a grand. for shits and grins we were lobbing .223 from our M16's into the targets. 500 yards i get 9/10 on average "in the black" so i am sure i can make .308 hit much better than i can with .223 out of open sights.

i shoot for the shits and grins fun and like doinw what people say cant be done.

the biggest reason for the Rem 700 is it keeps in the theme of my "Mil Spec" firearms. mossberg 500, AR-16 M4 style, M9. just something i thought would be fun to show all of my kids waiting to go to boot camp, and i know it will be fun to shoot.

i know our sniper rifle is Rem 700 SPS BASED, but it fits the idea of the theme.

i also know they are great products out of the box, and thats why they have been around so long.

i can not re-load due to living situation.

thanks for the input, and please keep it coming
    This Space For Rent

Lol, well obviously you can get the bullet there. If you really want to "shoot" out to 800, then I was under the impression that you wanted to put it there in a somewhat accurate fashion. I wouldn't necessarily say that the military sniper rifles are built on a Remington 700 sps, seeing as how there are quite a few differences. If that's what you want to convince yourself, that works. They have a completely different barrel contour, different type of rifling, and different stock. That leaves you with the action off the 700 and the trigger, which is the same on all the current Remington 700's, so I don't quite get how it's an SPS. If you want the real M24, remington is selling a way overpriced copy http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/m24.htm .

You can get the .308 bullet there with a 22" barrel. If you do not buy the 20 moa bases, you won't be able to aim at the target to get it there. If you are not going to be reloading and want some sort of consistency, the match grade quality ammunition is not gonna get you there with the 22" tube. Well, stuff like the federal gold medal match with the 168 match kings probably isn't gonna get there. If you're going to be shooting factory ammunition, you'll need the longer barrel if you want to get some bullets there in a somewhat consistent fashion.

(Allegheny County)

A few months ago I picked up a 700 SPS Varmint in .223 with a 4-12 scope mounted on it that was on sale. Got the whole package for under 600.00, tax and all. I couldn't pass it up. I'm very pleased with it and can't wait to zero in on some Whistle Piggies. Even with a 1 in 12 twist it handles the 62gr and 77grs bullets very well out to 200 + yds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily say that the military sniper rifles are built on a Remington 700 sps, seeing as how there are quite a few differences. If that's what you want to convince yourself, that works. They have a completely different barrel contour, different type of rifling, and different stock. That leaves you with the action off the 700 and the trigger, which is the same on all the current Remington 700's,
    yes, i did word that wrong, and you are correct... also correct on the over priced M24 they sell...

but the general idea is what i want...

i just wish i could get the tactical in a 26 incher...

i might have to bear down and buy the var. and get a Houge stock for it, but that ups the cost a good bit...

i have seen the scope/700 SPS packages for under 600, and they sell it that way in .308 as well, but that stock is a total turn off. maybe some under body ruberized coating would stick to it quite well...
    This Space For Rent

I personally would try to stay away from the hogue stocks a little bit. They're a little bit flimsy. I think you'd be better off purchasing an HS Precision stock or something like a Bell & Carlson Medalist, be careful if you look at some of the other B&C stocks, some of them are flimsy as well. Just be careful in doing something like this so that you don't end up purchasing one rifle, then buying a different stock and having to mess with shipping or installing the action on it. Sometimes you can find a steal on something like a Sendero and not have to worry about switching anything out. I think the SPS tacticals are nice, but the stocks are a bit flimsy and that 22" barrel is a bit short to reach out to 800. Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help in any other ways, suggestions or answer any other questions. PS, sorry if I took what you meant about the SPS wrong, lol.

The finish on the SPS sucks...I can tell you that it's not the same finish as on the VS or 700P. Between the finish (rust issues) and the cheap stock...that's how Remington is cutting corners on the SPS line. Don't get me wrong, the action is great and the barrel will perform well...just anticipate upgrading the stock and having the rifle refinished down the line.

You are going to have some serious drop past 800 yards with a .308...regardless of picking the 22" or 26" barrel. Of course you will have more of a drop with the shorter barrel. Not to mention there aren't any local gun clubs that offer you 800+ yards to shoot, unless you go to Williamsport.

And no offense, but trying to compare hitting a man sized target with M16 in the Corps isn't the same as true MOA shooting with a precision rifle.

There is nothing wrong with trying to put together a long range rifle on an entry level budget....but keep in mind that having sub par equipment will hurt you in the end. Especially in the optics department. For under $300 I'd only recommend Nikon Buckmaster4.5x14 with mil dot reticle. Or perhaps the SS...glass isn't as good as the Nikon, but it's right at $300.

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    The finish on the SPS sucks...I can tell you that it's not the same finish as on the VS or 700P. Between the finish (rust issues) and the cheap stock...that's how Remington is cutting corners on the SPS line. Don't get me wrong, the action is great and the barrel will perform well...just anticipate upgrading the stock and having the rifle refinished down the line.

You are going to have some serious drop past 800 yards with a .308...regardless of picking the 22" or 26" barrel. Of course you will have more of a drop with the shorter barrel. Not to mention there aren't any local gun clubs that offer you 800+ yards to shoot, unless you go to Williamsport.

And no offense, but trying to compare hitting a man sized target with M16 in the Corps isn't the same as true MOA shooting with a precision rifle.

There is nothing wrong with trying to put together a long range rifle on an entry level budget....but keep in mind that having sub par equipment will hurt you in the end. Especially in the optics department. For under $300 I'd only recommend Nikon Buckmaster4.5x14 with mil dot reticle. Or perhaps the SS...glass isn't as good as the Nikon, but it's right at $300.
    thanks for the heads up on the finish. i tend to be hard on EVERYTHING i own, so we will see how it stands up.

as for hitting a man sized targer at 500 yards with an M16 that has had who knows how many rounds through it, is loose as hell with more play than most could image, and doing it most of the time center of mass...

i think i will be able to make a .308 hit how i want it to just fine thanks. i keep finding more and more people want to shoot and make it "easy"

i want to shoot to make it hard. then the easy shots are even easier...
    This Space For Rent

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Not to mention there aren't any local gun clubs that offer you 800+ yards to shoot, unless you go to Williamsport.
    wheres there an 800+ yard range in williamsport? do they have a website? wish i'd have found out sooner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast