Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Question

(Montgomery County)

Default Newbie Question

I'm sure this has been covered 100000 times but here goes:

I'd like to get my LTCF. I was reading through Montgomery Counties web page and came across the following

- You will need to COME IN - IN PERSON to the Court House in Norristown with the following:

Pennsylvania Drivers License and/or Pennsylvania I.D. Card with your Montgomery County address.
    If renewing, applicant must remember to supply names, addresses and telephone numbers of two (2) references (not immediate family.)
    Local Police check card must be signed by your local police department (New Applicants).
    $25.00 or $46.00 cash, check or money order (No Credit/Debit cards accepted.)
    Foreign-born applicants who are U.S. Citizens must supply Passport or Naturalization Paperwork.
    Foreign-born applicants who are not U.S. Citizens must provide proof of immigration status.
    I just want to make sure I do this in the proper sequence.

I go to my local PD (Pottstown PD) have them do a background check and have them sign the card (Which I get from where??. Do they provide it??)

Then I take that card to the Mont. Co. Courthouse along with my Id and fill out the application? Or does the application have to be filled out prior to going to the court house with everything? Then pay $46 for the plastic license? Then wait?

Or do I need to get the application first, fill it out, then the local pd check then go back to the court house?

Thanks in advance for all those who reply!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Newbie Question

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered 100000 times but here goes:

I'd like to get my LTCF. I was reading through Montgomery Counties web page and came across the following

I just want to make sure I do this in the proper sequence.

I go to my local PD (Pottstown PD) have them do a background check and have them sign the card (Which I get from where??. Do they provide it??)

Then I take that card to the Mont. Co. Courthouse along with my Id and fill out the application? Or does the application have to be filled out prior to going to the court house with everything? Then pay $46 for the plastic license? Then wait?

Or do I need to get the application first, fill it out, then the local pd check then go back to the court house?

Thanks in advance for all those who reply!
    The card will come with the application that you can get from the courthouse.

It took about a week for my local PD to sign off on it, but once they do, you take the completed application and the card back to the courthouse, and you should be issued your LTCF right then and there if everything checks out.

Proud member of:

(Montgomery County)

Thanks! I'll make the trip down there this week sometime to get the application

(Montgomery County)

Might be worth asking your local PD if they have an application. I happen to live in Norristown so it was no sweat off my back to go to the courthouse and then drop it off at the Norristown PD. But I wouldnt want to have to drive from Pottstown to Norristown to just pick up a piece of paper, and have to make that same trip again a week later.

(Montgomery County)

Well I started the process today. Went to Pottstown PD for the backround check, paid $10 and got it back in all of 2 minutes.... passed with flying colors... Tomorrow going to take all my info to the county and see what happens. We shall see

(Montgomery County)

They charged you for filling out the police check card? Our local PD did it for free, though it did take a week.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    They charged you for filling out the police check card? Our local PD did it for free, though it did take a week.
    Eh, It was posted $10 for background check. I don't mind considering it was instant

(Chester County)

Wow, what is this local PD card?? They don't require it in the Chester County side of Pottstown. Is it even legal??

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Montgomery County)

It's a small card asking the local PD where you live whether they have any negative information about you. The Montco sheriff makes it a requirement. I had assumed the other counties had something similar, but I guess not.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by toml View Post
    It's a small card asking the local PD where you live whether they have any negative information about you. The Montco sheriff makes it a requirement. I had assumed the other counties had something similar, but I guess not.
    There is no such thing in either Chester, or Lancaster county. Are these card legal and do they speed up the process? It seem like it would fall under a county making there own gun laws. We know that to be clearly illegal.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast