Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Winter Tires for FWD car?

Hello,

As I mentioned in the newbie intro thread, my wife and I have just moved (a couple of weeks ago) to here in Pennsylvania from Northern California. Since we lived in SF/SJ bay area, we never had to think about winter tires for snow. We're not quite sure how much of snow fall and what kind of road condition to expect in PA...

We're considering winter tires for her car, Honda Accord, and it's a FWD car. ...What is your opinion on winter tires in Pennsylvania?

If you ever had winter tires on your car, would you say that it's a good idea to have winter tires on your car and also keep chain/cable in the car for heavier snow? Or, would you say that winter tires are overkill for Pennsylvania winter?

Please share your experience & opinions. Thanks.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Winter Tires for FWD car?

FWD, I use all season radials on all my FWD cars. I bought chains years ago and I have never put them on. MOST winters arn't to bad around here,IMHO. Jay

(Washington County)

All season tires are good for up to 3 inches of snow. I would think they would be fine for you. The exception would be if you had a really long driveway that you did not clear always, as that may acculimate more than 3 inches of snow on it. I run allseasons all year long, except for the sports car, which I dont use in the winter.

FWD is inherently way better then rwd so a good set of all seasons with plenty of tread left will do for most snow around here.
    Beretta 8000f Inox, S&W 686 6", Armscor 1911A1, Beretta 92fs, Alchemy Spectre, S&W 22A 7" fluted, Taurus Tracker .17HMR, Firestorm ultra compact 9mm.. All stainless

http://tinyurl.com/7zoma

(Chester County)

Thanks for quick replies, guys. Very much appreciated.