Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Tax question

(Dauphin County)

Default Tax question

Last March I moved from New York to Pennsylvania. What I am wondering is do I need to file taxes for the first 2 months in NY and file taxes for the last 10 in PA? If so, do I just need to get the proper forms from NY and fill them out normally (other than separating what I earned in NY vs PA)? Any help from anybody with any experience is greatly appreciated!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Tax question

Generally you must do that. Did your employer switch your state witholdings? If not, an adjustment may need to be made. You can get a good accountant to do your personal return for less than $100. I would do that in your position.

(Franklin County)

Quite a few years ago I had a similar situation. I made my own best guess and ended up spending several hundred dollars on a CPA to straighten things out and get back on Uncle Sam's good side. Either pay a professional to have your filing prepared, or at least pay them to confirm your intentions meet the legal requirements.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Quite a few years ago I had a similar situation. I made my own best guess and ended up spending several hundred dollars on a CPA to straighten things out and get back on Uncle Sam's good side. Either pay a professional to have your filing prepared, or at least pay them to confirm your intentions meet the legal requirements.
    When one of my LLCs was my main business for many years I never spent "several hundred" for the whole ball of wax. I do get charged a couple grand for my corporation (not LLC) now but my old guy does my personal taxes for $120, including after I moved to PA. And both of them answer all my stupid questions all year long for free.

EDIT: Oh, I see, you spent several hundred when you showed up with a problem in hand. That makes sense

(Chester County)

In general you have to get 'part year' resident forms for both states an fill them out accordingly. Income is apportioned as are deductions (follow instructions from each state). Note that many states (like Pa/NJ) use their 'resident' package for part year residents. You just check the appropriate status box and see the unique instructions in the package for 'part year' resident.

I am not familiar with NY tax but I moved to Pa from NJ in 2007 and that what I had to do.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for all the help! I figured that I should just pay someone to help me with this little problem. My next question is does anyone know of a good CPA in the Harrisburg area? A few years ago I did the H&R Block thing, and I can't say that I was impressed. All they ended up doing was reading me the questions from their tax prep program. I am pretty sure the woman was trained to do just that because she couldn't really answer any of my questions that I had.