Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default "Investment Grade" Firearms & Wall Hangers

I have my bases covered as far as "firearms as a tool" are concerned. I carry either an XDS 45 or Bodyguard 380 depending on the weather and what my clothing allows. I have a Mossberg 500 for home defense and an AR-15 just in case the SHTF.

I'm looking to purchase what I would call an "investment grade" firearm next. Something that would spend most of its time in a safe and certainly never be fired.

As an example, the Aguirre y Aranzabal No 37 (http://www.aya-fineguns.com/detalles...5&main=PROGRAM) immediately caught my eye. I've seen a number of AYA shotguns in Cabeal's Gun Library, but I don't know enough about the company to decide if the value is there to warrant spending several thousand dollars.

I've considered a vintage Colt SAA, but worry that they don't have much room to grow in value. At $5000+ it's hard to imagine they would some day demand much more. Custom 1911s from a smith like Ed Brown or Les Baer have also been considered.

Last, I'm also interested in opinions on older black powder rifles or shotguns that would make appropriate wall hangers. Maybe in the sub-$1000 range, but still nice to look at.

To be clear, I'm considering these firearms as pieces of art rather than something of practical value. If you had a few thousand dollars to burn, what would you invest in?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: "Investment Grade" Firearms & Wall Hangers

Personally I love WWII GI 1911A1s. I love the history and think they're works of art but beauty is in the eye of the beholder so you may not. As far as investment potential, they're climbing fast but have room to grow. Grab a mint original and correct 1943 Colt now for $2200-2500 and it should have no problem bringing $3000-3500 in the not too distant future.

Crappy pic but here's my brushed blue, RS-inspected 1941:

Last edited by thebearpack; November 30th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

(Adams County)

the trick is not to buy ones that you think are at the top of the list but ones that have a lot of room to climb. I bought 03's and 03a3s when they were $75 now look at them. right now pre 64 Winchester model 94s are taking another jump.

pistols old model ruger blackhawks are still doing good. as long as they have not been sent back and had the safety installed.

(Chester County)

I was originally thinking of something prettier than a combat 1911, but I really love the idea of a WWII pistol in that price range. Thanks for the suggestion!

As far buying low, I have a couple of the more unique Sig Sauer P238s hoping that they will someday climb as you're suggesting. Bought new for about $550 - $600 there should be some room to grow. However, there's about a million of them out there. My thinking is that many of them will be shot or otherwise not properly cared for. I'm currently holding the Lady and Liberty models in 100% NIB, toying with the idea of picking up a Pearl or Copperhead as well.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Personally I love WWII GI 1911A1s. I love the history and think they're works of art but beauty if in the eye of the beholder so you may not. As far as investment potential, they're climbing fast but have room to grow. Grab a mint original and correct 1943 Colt now for $2200-2500 and it should have no problem bringing $3000-3500 in the not too distant future.

This, in spades. They're not making WWI or WWII 1911s anymore.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(York County)

To pick a good value, buy a current edition of Standard Catalog of Firearms and check out the "sleeper" recommendations. These are firearms that are collectable but undervalued in today's market. There are a lot of nice guns to choose from there.

Buying any decent WW 2 firearm is a good idea. Buy the gun though, not the marketing. Some company like Mitchell's Mausers are selling what they call "reconditioned" Kar 98 German Mausers. However the buzz is that they strip down and remove mismatched serial numbers, add false stamps and then refinish the entire package. Buying a decent, honest GI bring back will cost the same amount, but unlike the Mitchell is actually worth something.

As for a good wall hanger display gun: Any of the Trapdoor Springfield rifles fit the bill. They are relics of American history from the Indian Wars through the Spanish American war era. Also consider original percussion sporting rifles from no-name makers. Many are quite nice and reasonably priced, authentic American heritage items.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ecclectic Collector View Post
    To pick a good value, buy a current edition of Standard Catalog of Firearms and check out the "sleeper" recommendations. These are firearms that are collectable but undervalued in today's market. There are a lot of nice guns to choose from there.

Buying any decent WW 2 firearm is a good idea. Buy the gun though, not the marketing. Some company like Mitchell's Mausers are selling what they call "reconditioned" Kar 98 German Mausers. However the buzz is that they strip down and remove mismatched serial numbers, add false stamps and then refinish the entire package. Buying a decent, honest GI bring back will cost the same amount, but unlike the Mitchell is actually worth something.

As for a good wall hanger display gun: Any of the Trapdoor Springfield rifles fit the bill. They are relics of American history from the Indian Wars through the Spanish American war era. Also consider original percussion sporting rifles from no-name makers. Many are quite nice and reasonably priced, authentic American heritage items.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This all around.

(Philadelphia County)

Few thousand? Full auto Mac-10. There will never be anymore transferable ones made and it's a fun ammo waster. In a few years it's guaranteed to cost more then what you paid for it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLom View Post
    Few thousand? Full auto Mac-10. There will never be anymore transferable ones made and it's a fun ammo waster. In a few years it's guaranteed to cost more then what you paid for it.
    I was thinking full auto as well. I want to save up and find an M60 or something really badass.

You can still shoot them and they still grow in value - win/win

(Chester County)

MAC-10 is a really cool idea. As a similar, but much longer term project, I will own a 1928A1 Thompson SMG before I die

I'll definitely check out those trapdoor models mentioned as wall hangers. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast