Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oc

(Chester County)

Default oc

Hey...I have a question. I'm taking a course for fugitive recovery and soon after my act 235. Is this legal for an oc?

Default Re: oc

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. Are you asking if it is OK to open carry, in your performance as a bounty hunter?

(Chester County)

Yeah...I didn't know if I could oc when performing as bounty hunter. And if I'm not working as bounty hunter can I still open carry. I see some do with there badge and some don't. Just didn't know the laws

(Luzerne County)

I can tell you with certainty that there is no law that prohibits you from openly carrying. The only thing that may stand in your way is any policy set by your employer.

(Chester County)

Great.thanks. What is the definition between the two...I'm new to handguns

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by emtfire148186 View Post
    What is the definition between the two
    A law is something that, if you violate, the cops get called and you get charged and arrested. A policy is a rule set by a private entity that, if you violate, the private entity takes their own measures to respond to your infraction, such as terminating your employment.

For example, [I have heard that] many police departments have policies in place stating that officers may only carry concealed while off-duty. If an officer goes against this policy, they can be reprimanded, suspended, or fired, but they cannot be arrested since they didn’t actually do anything illegal.

All in all, open carry of a firearm is legal and documented as such. However, there may be internal policies set by those you are subordinate to, if you are subordinate to anyone.

Addendum: Also, I know very little about any general rules Bail Enforcement Agents (the correct term for a bounty hunter in Pennsylvania) have to follow. I know we do have some Bail Enforcement Agents on the board, though, including 38SnubFan.
    Last edited by JCWohlschlag; April 25th, 2009 at 02:41 PM.

Do you mean the difference between open carry and concealed carry?

http://www.pafoa.org/law#faq-do-i-need-ltcf-to-open

(Chester County)

Ok cool thanks for the info

If you are new to handguns, I would respectfully request that you get some training, and practice shooting for many, many hours, before you start carrying, either openly, or concealed. The act of carrying a firearm is not to be taken lightly. It is a huge responsibility and you would benefit from some professional instruction in that you become more familiar in gun handling, safety, and situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    If you are new to handguns, I would respectfully request that you get some training, and practice shooting for many, many hours, before you start carrying, either openly, or concealed. The act of carrying a firearm is not to be taken lightly. It is a huge responsibility and you would benefit from some professional instruction in that you become more familiar in gun handling, safety, and situational awareness.
    Double ditto on that.....having a firearm doesn't mean a thing if you don't know what to do with it, what the laws are, and have profiency in it's use. If you ever had to pull it out it'll be a high stress event. Without hours of range time your going to forget the safety, not be able to aquire the target properly, fumble around with a holster, etc. In other words you'll be dead. Or just as bad, miss your target and hit an innocent. If you are going to carry, particularly for employment, be professional about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast