Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default ATTN 27Hand : Toilet issue, Picture you asked for.

27hand,

I have 3 of these dirty rotten no good toilets. The flush things dont stay tipped over for more than 2-3 seconds after you release the push buttom on the tank. You have to stand there and hold the button to get a proper flush. I have the lever on the back side all way to the hard stop towards "Longer Flush". Should I replace all of the plastic things that tilt back? The water level is slightly over the mark on the fill tube, so there should be enough water in the tank....

I did video the internals during a flush. If you PM me your email, I can email you the video so you can see exactly whats going on.

Sorry for the super-duper-pooper off topic.... But 27Hand offered to advise me on this ongoing problem with these stupid things.

Larrywhywontourshitleave0071
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: ATTN 27Hand : Toilet issue, Picture you asked for.

replace it all. cost ya about $15 a toilet from lowes or home depot.
    No longer posting

(Allegheny County)

Larry,

This is a new one for me. I have never seen this style of toilet tank internals.

I can see 2 options here.

#1. As you suggested, replace all the plastic parts, including the entire flapper/tilt mechanism.

#2. This is what I would do.
    This looks like a standard close coupled tank assembly so I would.

A) remove the tank from the toilet ( you may need to cut the tank to bowl bolts with a hacksaw blade between the tank and the bowl).
    B) install a new water discharge system which would include a new flapper and tank to bowl gasket and of course new tank bolts.

This video gives you a basic look.
    http://www.doityourself.com/video/Ea...-Tips-86958937

I would buy the components similar to the middle (gray plastic) tank part assemblies. The water fill valve or ball cock is a Fluidmaster 400A ( the entire kit from fluidmaster is about $20 at Home Depot). I prefer the red rubber flapper he installs as opposed to the one that comes with the kit but thats just me. The black rubber flappers gunk up your hands when they are old.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageId...paign=DATAFEED
    The handle for your tank will also be different from the kit.

What is the manufactures name of the toilet?

Here's a start.

Let me know if you need additional info or are unclear in anything I said.

27hand

Here is some more info. See if anything looks familiar. I'll keep looking.

http://www.e-onlineplumbingparts.com...tank_parts.htm
    Last edited by 27hand; February 3rd, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Allegheny County)

Larry, I see a # 3445 in the base of your tank which is a Universal Rundle toilet

Here is a close up of your tank parts.

http://www.e-onlineplumbingparts.com...dle/ur4445.jpg

Now, because the closeup of the bottom of your tank shows it to be recessed (or higher) in the middle, I'm not sure if the option 2 I gave you would work.

Perhaps it would be best to do one toilet as complete a tank rebuild as you can with U/R parts.

If you hate the way it flushes, you could try option 2 on one toilet just to see if it works. $20 might not be too much to give it a try.

Let me know how it shakes.

Last edited by 27hand; February 3rd, 2009 at 08:23 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Larry,

Was wondering what course of action you are taking.

If you didn't want to rebuild the tank assemblies either with Universal Rundle or Fluidmaster parts, complete toilet replacement is an option.

If you choose to do this, do a bit of research on toilets and don't just buy the cheapest Home Depot has to offer.

I would look for ones that have the largest discharge opening available coupled with the largest toilet tank to bowl opening. If the entire trapway is glazed is a plus. Standard tank components (simple flapper assembly. ballcock-fill valve with no rod and ball) should be taken into account for eventual replacement. Another thing to look for is a toilet with a large bowl water surface area. I also prefer elongated toilets and some people like the handicap height toilets.

One piece units are the easiest to keep clean as there is no tank to bowl opening where they couple together.

I understand cost can be a factor but it is a device you will be using for many years to come.

All toilets flush differently and some expensive toilets don't flush as well as cheap units. This can be hit or miss but if you get a bad one, you could more than likely exchange it.

I have been very happy with my one piece TOTO Ultimate but American Standard and Kohler also have good products. I also have an American Standard Cadet but it is a 3.5 gal flush and I have no need to replace it.

Universal Rundle, Crane, Briggs,Gerber are on the lower end although many flush quite well.
    Toto, American Standard, Kohler and even Elger are better in quality.

Here is a report on various models. Toto seems to be up there
    http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Good luck,

27hand