Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Car accident. Now what?

So I was sitting at a stop sign and this older lady driving a big Chrysler 300 looking at the big truck making a turn without looking I laid on the horn but it did not help she drive right into me.

The accident was totally her fault and she clammed responsibility for it. I got her insurance information and filled a report with my insurance company and contacted her insurance company.

I drive an older Ford Taurus 97 and she took out my driver side light, bumper, fender, hood, cracked the cross bar that runs though the front of the car.

So I went and got a few estimate. first one was high and told me it was totaled with 2.4k damage. Next shop did not even write up and estimate and just told me it was not worth fixing. Third shop gave a better quote and said that it could be close and they might fix it.

My car runs well. and I really want them to fix it or give me enough to get a car in the same condition as the one I had.

Anyone else go though this? how long did it take for you get get the issue resolved. and how do the insurance companies calculate what you get if they determine the car is totaled

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Car accident. Now what?

Usually - value of car compared to cost to fix.

Regardelss of the value to you.. .you car has a value... it will not be a high value.

whatever that is... if the cost to fix is more than that value... you don't get the $$ to fix your car.... you get a check... minus your deductible (depending if going through her insurance, or if they sue for the deductible)

Sucks...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinakorp View Post

whatever that is... if the cost to fix is more than that value... you don't get the $$ to fix your car.... you get a check... minus your deductible (depending if going through her insurance, or if they sue for the deductible)

Sucks...
    ahhh i still have to pay a deductible even if it is clearly her fault and the clam is going though her insurance?

No, you won't have to pay a deductible since it wasn't your fault.

I would try my hardest to prevent the car from being totaled. If the damage is bad though your car may never be the same and who knows what kind of work the bodyshop they choose will do.

In the event your car is determined to be totaled, you have the option of buying back your car at salvage value[I'm thinking maybe $200 for a Ford of that age] after you accept their check which sounds like it'll be around $2.5K in your case. You car will then be issued a salvage title at which point it will be no longer legal to drive or insure. You will have to have the repairs done and then you can take it to an enhanced vehicle inspection station to have the car re-certified as safe to be on the road. I believe that inspection costs a couple of hundred dollars and I think you will have to pay sales tax again but I'm not 100% sure on that. You will then be issued a reconstructed title which will allow you to insure and register your car again.

What I've just mentioned is an option in the event you want to keep your car or do not have the funds to replace your car with something newer.

It sucks.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Anderson View Post
    ahhh i still have to pay a deductible even if it is clearly her fault and the clam is going though her insurance?

No. Pa is a weird state. In some cases your insurance pays and then her insurance pays the deductible and other incidentals. You never just have to accept what insurance says as far as price. It`s all negotiable. Since it was her fault you are entitled to rental costs and if it is repaired some extra cash for the diminished value of your car. Keep track of any mileage or expenses you incur due to her negligence.

(Monroe County)

I would demand $4500.00 as that is what the car would have been worth with Obama`s trade up to new plan that is in place right now. The car has to be in running order and that broad ended that.
    Just a crazy thought.

(York County)

Looks like with 120,000 miles on it you might have a car worth about $2150.00. That is for excellent condition.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    I would demand $4500.00 as that is what the car would have been worth with Obama`s trade up to new plan that is in place right now. The car has to be in running order and that broad ended that.
    Just a crazy thought.
    sounds good and I might have taken advantage of that after i got back from basic and had some money in my pocket.