Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need help/advice re: recent breakin.

Okay, so while away this past week, two people who I had checking on my apartment walked in and found someone snooping around. They stopped him, got his info, asked him to return whatever was stolen (which he did, sort of) and said that they would refer everything to me.

I'm a student, he's a student, I forwarded everything to the school's Police Department (we have a "real" police department e.g. UPenn police) who made a report and also filed one with the Philadelphia police. Among the things not returned are an expensive pair of sunglasses and my mailbox key (I'm in an apartment building.) I want to press charges against the joker because it's apparent that he forced his way into my apartment.

Now here's where I need help:

1. If I want to press charges, who pays for the lawyer? Do I have to supply my own lawyer? Or does the state (or city, Philadelphia) take care of it?

2. The police and I are under the impression that he and his accomplices are presently living in the same apartment building as me. Is there anything I can do to ensure my safety and well being? Presently I have deadbolt and my cuffs, baton and OC sitting at the door and I just installed a 120dB coded door alarm.

Any advice is appreciated!

My friends typed up a full report which I will post if there is genuine interest.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Need help/advice re: recent breakin.

If you press criminal charges against this person there is no need to hire a lawyer, unless you did something wrong. The DA is your lawyer.

But I need to see a copy of the police report because something smells like BS.

(Allegheny County)

This is the email I received while I was away, identifying information has been altered.

To CManzi,

Today (July 7th, 2009) myself (Joe) and Jeremy went to your apartment as instructed to water your plants. At approximately 8:10pm we left the stairwell and walked into your hallway. As I took the keys out of my pocket to unlock your door, I noticed it was slightly ajar. I walked in first with Jeremy immediately behind me. We heard movement in the kitchen and shouted "Who 's there?" Out of the kitchen came a tall skinny young asian male. Myself and Jeremy demanded to know what he was doing here. He said that he was just walking by and the door was open. We explained that this still gives him no right to be in the room. Myself and Jeremy demanded that he give us his full name and identification. He said he didn't have any on him. Jeremy told him we are calling the police immediately if he does not give us his information.

JYC
    123 anystreet
    Wyncote PA 19095
    DOB: 00/00/0000

After we had his infomration, me and Jeremy told him he could leave but he would be responsiblle for any missing items. Jeremy told James that if he knows of any missing items to just return them and that there will be no need for further trouble. Jeremy insisted that James take Jeremy's cell phone number. James entered Jeremy'd number into his cell phone. James said he did not take anything and did not know anything about any missing items. James left. Me and Jeremy left the apartment after securely locking the door behind us. As we exited the building, Jeremy received a phone call from James ( 555-555-5555 ). Myself, Jeremy, and James spoke in front of the building immediately following the phone call. James admitted to Jeremy and me that while he did not take anything, he knew a friend who had taken a small safe from the apartment. We told James that we would wait in front of the building for 10 minutes for him to return the safe or else we were calling the police. Approximately 10 minutes later, James arrived in a dark green Subaru Outback. Jeremy took a picture with his cell phone of the vehicle. It had a Pennsylvania lIcense plate: XXX 0000. James told Jeremy and me that his friend was not completely honest with him and had taken a Wii game console with several games and controlers as well as the safe. Jeremy and me took the stolen items back to Jeremy's apartment a few blocks away. As we were walking to Jeremy's apartment, Jeremy recieved a phone call from James. James said that he wanted to give us his friends information. James insisted that he took nothing from the apartment and this freind of his did. Jeremy instructed James to text the information to Jeremy's cell phone that way all the spelling would be accurate.

James sent Jeremy a text with the following information:
    DK
    Lives in XXXXXXX
    From California orignally

The safe, the Wii console, and several games and controllers are now safely in Jeremy's apartment.

This entire event concluded around 8:40pm with Jame's final text message.

All of the above information is accurate and honest to the minute detail. On Jeremy's phone is Jame's phone number as well as a picture of his car as proof.

(Luzerne County)

Ok I would file charges against this person and like I said the DA will be representing your interest in court.

If you don't press charges he might do it again feeling he will get away with it again. Also the next time your friend may not catch him and a first charge might give them a person of interest to look at.

(Montgomery County)

Along the lines of what cgbudde said, I don't know why you wouldn't press charges. Please do it.

(Philadelphia County)

cgbudde answered the first question. As to the second, if this is on-campus housing, your solution is simple-- you report them to the campus housing authority and have them tossed. People get kicked out of campus housing for less than that.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Go get 'em. I know personally if this happened to me, or something similar, I wouldn't stop until the persons responsible were kicked out of school (if they went to school with me), had their academic records permanently tarnished, faced legal charges, and I got my stuff back.

I'm a vengeful person and I hate thieves.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

(Allegheny County)

Thanks Derek, I'm gonna go ahead and follow yall's advice.. Robbery... = no LTCF permit, right?

(Venango County)

Have all the locks changed that have missing keys. Even if costs you. You can always get that cost back in small claims if you want or ask the criminal judge for it as restitution. IANAL and not sure what the criminal judge might consider for restitution though.

Then there is always insurance (homeowners or renter's). Your stuff (or some of it) might fall under your parent's homeowner's depending on the policy, your age and status of dependant or not etc. It's another possibility worth checking if you don't have insurance yourself.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    cgbudde answered the first question. As to the second, if this is on-campus housing, your solution is simple-- you report them to the campus housing authority and have them tossed. People get kicked out of campus housing for less than that.
    Ok so I got side tracked and forgot there was 2 questions, just wait until you get old and senile. LOL