Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: CCW Proof of Residency Validity

Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit. ...probably wont make much $, but extremely likely to win.

Their policy is putting many residents of that county into a catch 22 position. A person of legal age may not have any bills in their name, which in turn you cannot "prove" your residency beyond that what your state issued ID shows. The state issued ID is prima facie proof of your place of residence.

Hell, I don't think I had any bills in my name until 22-24 years old.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Attachment 147056

Were you asleep for the last 9mos?

Seems like there's a need for a sarcasm emoji?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    PA LTCF are issued by the County. It is supposed to be your county of residence. Granted, some counties are quicker than others.

What is there to stop a Philadelphia resident from applying for a LTCF by changing their DL to a more advantageous County by using a family member or friends address ? There is a reason proof of residency, other than a government ID is required.
    Such an action would be illegal as your driver's license is required by law to be at your residence, and has to be updated within a very few number of days.

There is no legitimate reason for this requirement.

From Penndot's website

Residents of Pennsylvania are required by law to report their change of address within 15 days of moving.
    https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...within-PA.aspx

I would expect you to know this.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Except that it's NOT required by statute, and the sheriff has no authority to impose it. The application requires DL information and address. Period. No leases, no utility bills.

The scenario you presented (and all other "what abouts") are cover by the applicant's signature affirming the accuracy of the information provided.

Sheriff's can't impose new conditions in an attempt to thwart fraud. Regardless of good intention, they simply do not have that authority, and that fact is long-established, and supported by the outcomes of lawsuits challenging this very type of behavior.
    Correction. Multiple forms of ID are valid. Not just a driver's license. An example would be a State Issued non driver's license ID.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Selviorn View Post
    Update: As my license renewal was issued less than six months ago they are requiring these proofs of residency. As per email:
    "Your License to Carry application has been withdrawn.

Application withdrawn due to lack of "proof of residency" requirements. Due to your current license/ID being within 6 months of its issue date you will need to upload 2 of the following. These are the ONLY accepted documents per the state.

- Mortgage Statement
    - Lease Agreement
    - Water
    - Sewer
    - Gas
    - Electric
    - Cable
    - Internet
    - House Phone or Cell Phone

Your application fees will be refunded."

Frustrating but understandable precaution.
    Not understandable. Get a lawyer. Sue them. In State and Federal court.

Have your lawyer file charges for official oppression under color of law.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Bucks County)

Okay. Thread blew up a little bit while I wasn't paying attention. Once I got the initial response back of my application being withdrawn I assumed that it would have been beating a dead horse to continue. Given the response and legal concern from quite a few members here more well learned than myself, I'm going to start doing some research and looking into who I should contact regarding this situation, and attempt to maybe begin pursuing some sort of action regarding it. Thank you, everyone, for your advice, information, and concern. I'll keep the thread updated with anything new that happens I guess.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Selviorn View Post
    Okay. Thread blew up a little bit while I wasn't paying attention. Once I got the initial response back of my application being withdrawn I assumed that it would have been beating a dead horse to continue. Given the response and legal concern from quite a few members here more well learned than myself, I'm going to start doing some research and looking into who I should contact regarding this situation, and attempt to maybe begin pursuing some sort of action regarding it. Thank you, everyone, for your advice, information, and concern. I'll keep the thread updated with anything new that happens I guess.
    To be clear, an application can not be refused. It can not be returned. It has to be accepted, and then approved or denied. Denials require a reason to be provided.

What happened to you is blatantly illegal.
    I would suggest contact a lawyer that specializes in gun litigation. Gun lawyer who replied above, or Joshua Prince, or anyone Gun lawyer would personally recommend. Don*t call your the guy who helped you close your mortgage or that friend of your family.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    It is possible the options are one or the other, but with the way it reads on the screen shot I understand the OPs concern.

I agree Medic. It should read valid government ID OR two proofs of residency..... The op doesn't need to show a green card does he?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    I agree Medic. It should read valid government ID OR two proofs of residency..... The op doesn't need to show a green card does he?
    No. Lived in PA my entire life, lived in Montco until 2016 when I moved to Bucks.

(Philadelphia County)

Such an action would be illegal as your driver's license is required by law to be at your residence, and has to be updated within a very few number of days.

There is no legitimate reason for this requirement.

From Penndot's website

Residents of Pennsylvania are required by law to report their change of address within 15 days of moving.
    https://www.dmv.pa.gov/Driver-Servic...within-PA.aspx

I would expect you to know this.

Correction. Multiple forms of ID are valid. Not just a driver's license. An example would be a State Issued non driver's license ID.
    Really?! So what you are saying is that there are some rules to follow. A sort of book of rules. In this case motor vehicle laws. A motor vehicle code per say.

And no one is allowed to break any of these rules. Everyone will change their address on the state website within the allotted time limit and print and carry this update with them. Is this what you are saying? And no one will break any of the other rules. Like stopping at stop signs and red lights and using turn signals and driving on the correct side of the roadway and maintain their driving credentials.

Then why do I see people breaking these rules everyday?

(Philadelphia County)

Not understandable. Get a lawyer. Sue them. In State and Federal court.

Have your lawyer file charges for official oppression under color of law.
    Is this your solution to all infractions ? Have you ever sued someone ?

If it is so easy to sue, why hasn*t everyone sued ?

Is the air very thin in Juniata County ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast