Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default What's the fix for this ??

On 4/21,I purchased a new S&W M&P40 pistol from Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield.
    Last Friday,I took the new gun to my club range and fired 32 rounds total of Federal,Winchester,and Remington ammo.The gun functioned perfectly and is more accurate than I can shoot. I did have a couple 3" groups at 25 yards,but that's off a sandbag.
    I noticed that all of the primers on the fired cases showed a big bulge.

Locking the slide open,it is easy to see a large divot in the face at 6 o'clock position of the firing pin hole.

The sample fired cartridge included with the gun also shows the primer bulge.
    I should have looked at sample case before I decided to buy the gun,or looked at the slide face.
    I called the S&W customer service and their rep,Frank, was very nice.When I described what I found,he said immediately that he would send out a "return kit".
    I have heard that the "new" Smith & Wesson customer service is very good,so I am hoping that's true.
    What would be the correct fix for this ?
    Replace the slide?
    I would prefer not to have it welded.
    Ron
    Old Geezer
    The older I get,the better I used to be !!

(Centre County)

Default Re: What's the fix for this ??

If S&W is sending out a return kit they will fix it. I am almost certain that it will be returned with a new slide installed. They will probably use the old slide in their reports about returned/unaccepatable parts that somehow slipped by the inspectors. They will not weld it up and redrill, it is not cost effective to do that.

The return kit should tell you how to ship it back to them. You will NOT be able to use the USPS. It will have to go overnight via a common carrier (either FedEx or UPS is the most common). S&W may even Probably will)send a prepaid shipping label and that will determine who is going to be the shipper. They will ship it back to you the same way you shipped it to them. It does not have to go through a FFL as it is a repair (unless you have a FFL ship it). If it is a UPS prepaid label you will still need to take it to the main shipping point. Satellite places (Office Depot, etc.) won't take firearms no matter what your argument is, or how well it is packed (at least around here that's the way it is).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

S&W will take care of it for sure.
    Thanks for posting the photos so the rest of us know what to look for when buying new or used.

Out of curiosity, what club did you shoot at?

(Chester County)

I'd look over at the M&P boards...I could have sworn that all but the 1st gen M&P's had that tear-drop there below the striker....that was something they intentionally added to the design.

ex:
    http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=7132

(Cambria County)

The return kit from S&W will be a prepaid shipping label, probably FedEx IIRC (unless something has changed as of late).

S&W's customer service is generally top notch, no worries, if there's a problem they'll fix it and have it back to you as good as new.

(Centre County)

Mine does the same thing.

Just out of curiousity, if the gun functions and it accurate, why bother returning it?
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Centre County)

Reply for the thread on the M&P forum.

Dan Burwell (one of the top M&P smiths for those who don't know):

"another normal thing they put that tear drop cut to help stop shaving some of the primer flow."
    Machinist for hire - Get a hold of me if you need something made

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post

"another normal thing they put that tear drop cut to help stop shaving some of the primer flow."
    Thanks,Fellows,for taking time to reply.
    I can't understand why they would intentionally put that cut in there.
    What does "shaving some of the primer flow" mean.
    With a high-intensity round like the .40,I would be concerned about primer perforations,especially with soft primers like Federals.
    I have over 4000 rounds of once-fired .40 S&W empty brass,that were fired in many handguns,and none show a primer defect even 25% of the size of these.

Ron

(Chester County)

I've seen a lot of brass come out of guns that look like that...and never seen a blown primer on any of them.

I don't understand exactly HOW that works, but it does. I'd ask over on the M&P forum, Dan or ToddG will probably get you a good answer.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post

I lifted the pictures from the thread unclemoak referenced.

M&P forum pictures

my gun:

The cut on my gun appears to be a good bit larger than the cut on the M&P forum gun.
    Yes,Dan Burwell has an excellent reputation.In fact,I intended to get him to improve the trigger on this gun.When it gets back from S&P,it will likely go to Duncansville.
    As an old geezer who has been reloading since 1958, defects like that on fired primers from one of your guns was cause for alarm.
    Maybe it's S&W's way of providing New York,Maryland,and other states with help in identifying which gun fired the empty brass that was used in a crime.
    I'm too old and feeble to engage in criminal activity,so I hope S&W fixes it.
    Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast