Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default So I have these guns...

I have been living in Philadelphia for a few years now (graduated from the Art Institute last October). So after I got a job and established my residency, I decided to join the wonderful world of firearm ownership.

(sorry for the "artsy image" it was for a thread on a different gun forum)

I started with my USPc .40S&W Variant 7 with the LEM trigger job (Got an insane deal on that from my old boss). I know it wasn't the best decision for my first gun, as it would have been more prudent to get a .22lr pistol and learn the mechanics on that first. Plus, it would have been much cheaper... but I digest.

My second gun was my Browning Buckmark .22lr. Blued steel with Walnut handles *drool*. I love the crap out of this gun, but I still need to find the right ammo for it. I get a lot of FTF and FTEs with shitty range ammo. Also the .22 you get at SPAG is dirty as hell, so I have to clean the crap out of it more than any other gun. Any buckmark owner knows how fun that is.

And my most recent purchase: Yugoslavian AK47 Underfolder with Poly Furniture. I picked this up on the last day of the Valley Forge gun show for 510 dollars after tax/transfer etc. I didn't mind paying a little extra considering the gun looked like it had never even been touched before. After careful consideration, I picked it up. Also, the rep from CA said they weren't going to be making/importing any more of the Yugo underfolders and if I wanted to get one, this was going to be the last chance. I know this was probably part of his sales pitch, but it is the EXACT gun I wanted for a fair price, so I didn't even hesitate... well except when I walked away for an hour to bring the price down.

I first fell in love with the AK when I fired my friend's yugo underfolder (in wood). The AK was never meant to be a hunting rifle or any sort of long distance shooter for me, so I figured I would go with the most concealable, most enjoyable and scariest looking AK I could find. And lets be honest, for the money, you cant get a better AK anywhere near as cheap as a yugo.

And here is my current collection (Minus my mosin, which I will never sell because of how awesome and fun it is [THANKS MAULER88!].

... Now to find a job so I can add to my collection.

Current planned guns (in some sort of order):
    -Browning Hipower (or high quality clone in 9mm) - I really need a SA pistol in 9mm
    -SA 1911 or Sig 1911. I have only fiddled with the SA line of 1911's (I really like the Mil/GI spec. The sig, I have only handled, and not fired, but it just feels so nice.
    -AK frame long rifle (heavy extended barrel) in either .223 or .308. I would very much prefer .308.
    -Remington 700 in either .308 or .270 (for Deer huntin')
    -Remington 870 (or my father's vintage custom Model 58)
    -Another AK47 with VERY nice wood furniture in 7.62x39mm. Probably an Arsenal
    -MAYBE an AR15 of sorts. A high quality version, but with no bells and whistles, nice and classic looking. I don't like the AR frame NEARLY as much as the AK47. Its just not nearly as menacing and fear invoking.

Some day... some day.

Oh yeah, and I frequent (have a membership) to SPAG if anyone is interested in shooting any of my guns. Just hit me up in a PM and I will get back to you. Being unemployed means my schedule is kinda free for the time being heh.
    Last edited by Ophidian; April 26th, 2008 at 01:06 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: So I have these guns...

nice solid start-up collection!
    i have a buckmark and a yugo uf ak myself... both are very nice!
    good luck with growing the collection!

(Philadelphia County)

Yeah, I would really love a long distance shooter for my next rifle, as that would really round out my collection, but I don't really want to get a bolt action. If I go hunting, it would be with my uncle out near the PA/WV border and he already has like 400 .270s I can use (all with very high quality glass) so getting my own is kinda silly at this point.

Actually, anyone have a suggestion for a long distance semi-auto?
    I like the following:
    -M1a Socom
    -AK47 in .308 with the "sniper scope"

I am not totally adverse to older surplus rifles either. If it shoots far, uses a 30ish caliber bullet, and doesn't cost four trillion dollars, I would def be interested.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Actually, anyone have a suggestion for a long distance semi-auto?
    I like the following:
    -M1a Socom
    -AK47 in .308 with the "sniper scope"
    -m1a socom is cool but barrel is short for long range and they cost way too much.
    -ak in 308 is also cool but not really that accurate based on the ak's design.

my choice: armalite ar-10 or dmps lr308.
    the armalite is pricy but very nice/accurate; the dpms is also really accurate and a great bang for the buck; i just got one and its pretty sweet!

(Philadelphia County)

What do you think about CETME rifles?

(Pike County)

very nice start there..

(Luzerne County)

nice start. i have a h&k g3. definetly a solid piece. i have not had a problem with it to date. correct me if i am wrong but cetme was made later on in the watr and made in spain. basicly a copy of the h&k variant. I have not heard any thing bad about them either.

i am sure someone more knowledgeable will be along to help you more.

welcome to the forum
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Westmoreland County)

Welcome to the PAFOA! Nice collection!

(Philadelphia County)

Nice Collection!!!
    But I dont see any revolvers there?
    I just picked up a springfield 1903A3 which is both action and a 30-06 round with a scope, I was at the 100 yard range with 1 sandbag and was doing 2" groups pretty easy with greek surplus ammo.
    Or look at the Nagants, (big bang for buck) You could get a bolt action for a couple hundred at most, and ammo is still about 50-60 bucks for 440 rounds, power wise it is about the same as a 30-06, The 91/30 was used as a sniper rifle for a LLOOONG time with good results, It would be a goood cheap long distance rifle
    www.aimsurplus.com. Try them or www.centerfiresystems.com
    Peter.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Hey, don't apologize for the art photos....check out Oleg Volk's website to see the sort of "gun art" he's done (although most of his are used for activist purposes.)

http://www.a-human-right.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast