Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default PSP to Patrol highways surrounding Philadelphia

E-mail from State Representative John Evans

Protecting Public Safety

I also asked the committee to look into additional funding for the Pennsylvania State Police. Public safety is an issue that affects each and every one of the residents I represent -- whether it’s an influx of drugs from our neighboring states to the north and west or vehicle crashes and traffic safety. Because I represent a rather rural district, the state police is oftentimes the only law enforcement agency that my residents have access to. In times of emergency and crisis, wait times of 30 minutes or more are routine, especially in some of the more remote locations. I applaud the state police for all they do to keep our communities safe.

In the budget proposal, funding for the state police will increase at a rate of 2.2 percent. However, I support items specifically mentioned by State Police Colonel Jeffrey Miller during his appearance before the committee on March 4.

Currently, the maximum complement for the state police is 4,696, and presently, there is a shortfall of 139 troopers. In order to provide enhanced public safety services, the maximum complement of troopers should be reached by September 2008 or the beginning of 2009.

Our communities need these additional troopers, especially when 60 troopers have been assigned to patrol the interstate highways surrounding Philadelphia, leaving the rest of the state basically 199 positions short.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: PSP to Patrol highways surrounding Philadelphia

In one day driving 95 North and South from Woodhaven Rd to the Walt Whitman Bridge going to/from work and client offices I saw a total of 15 PSP's sitting on the side of the road/median. Making their presence known and overkill is a fine line.

(Delaware County)

Back in 2005, (then) Mayor Street decided over the next few years to phase out the Philadelphia Highway Patrol (HP) on the 3 interstates within the city, I-76, I-676 & I-95 and use the HP to patrol in high crime areas. This past January 1, 2008 the last phase, I-95, was turned over to the PSP.

It does seem the PSP do have a higher presence on these highways than the HP did. Plus since the PSP have radar (only department in the state allowed by state law) you need to watch your speed more now. I see them set up by the airport all the time.

Bill

(Erie County)

Yayyyyyyy more revenue collectors.

(Cumberland County)

stop wasting time doing traffic stops...they ARE NOT a deterent to irresponsible driving, that has been demonstrated time and again. Focus on investigation of accidents, criminal prosecution of DUI, and other actual LEO/peace officer work. You could even re-assign the troopers where they are needed, Phila. highways don't need more cops, it hasn't and won't help the problem.
    MOLON LABE

(Lycoming County)

I hope they block all the Phillie element from comming to Lycoming county we have had are fill of them.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky111 View Post
    I hope they block all the Phillie element from comming to Lycoming county we have had are fill of them.
    Damn it !! I guess I can't move to Lycoming County now, since Lucky don't want us there
    Last edited by ShakeyDad; March 20th, 2008 at 04:18 PM.

Marry you, and ruin it all ? I say let's play in sin. ~Michele
    Do ya like warm oil massages ?~Me
    As long as it's gun oil.~Michele

(Lancaster County)

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

- line from "the usual suspects"

Well, the Greatest trick any State Police or Highway Patrol ever pulled was convincing the populace and the state government that our highwas would run red with blood without speed enforcement.

Speed related fatalities pale in comparison to those caused by impaired driving, yet I see PSP doing static observation with radar constantly.

Speed enforcement is one of the biggest lies ever perpetrated. Studies have shown that people generally drive within their comfort level, and speed limits are often arbitrarily set to create a pool of drivers who are bound to exceed them, which ends up being a never ending well from which the state can draw revenue.

I once argued this point with a cop friend of mine. I turned on my radar detector and made some smart ass comment about "time to play the game" and he pompously responded "It's not a game, it is the LAW". which made me laugh so hard I nearly wrecked right then and there.

Told him if his podunk department didn't get a cut of every ticket he wrote, then I am sure his chief would find better things for him to do.

Busting DUIs, Go for it. Get them off the street.

But busting my balls for doing 75 on a highay that was designed for 75 MPH back in the 1950's for cars built of that era?

Nope.

And the point structure exists to line the pockets of insurance companies, pure and simple.

The fee structure is insanity defined. Talk about the punishmen being cruel and unusual.

The best part is the officers slated with speed enforcement have the heaviest feet of anyone you will ever drive with.

Apparently speed does NOT kill if you are a cop.

(Delaware County)

I see State Troopers all over the place now. I'm sure they could be doing something else but we all know how they love that ticket revenue.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyDad View Post
    Damn it !! I guess I can't move to Lycoming County now, since Lucky don't want us there
    The Lycoming County prison is overflowing with Philia. drug scum., as is neighboring counties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast