Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default this got me wondering..

I lurk around in XD forum time to time, because I once consider the purches of XD.
    I cam across this thread and got me thinking.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53278

I was always under impression that while CCW, and you get pulled over(for speeding or whatever), let officer know that you have CCW, and I have lisence to legally do so, wWhile hands on wheels/doom light on, and ask officer what he would like me to do. He'll more then likely ask you to step out of the car, so that he can secure the weapon.

Now reading this thread got me thinking.
    if I let officer secure my weapon, there is a chance which I may not see my weapon for long time(like this )

now, all my weapons are registered in PA, except my 2 C&R rifle, which I would never CCW as you can imagin(registered in NY). But who knowz what kind of crap that can happen.

So what would be like best way to deal with minor traffic stop to avoide complications? I would like to be firm like original poster of thread I linked, but then I'm affraid if I'm right, and officer is wrong(just ask Gnbrotz how bad can that be).

What you guys think?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Default Re: this got me womdering..

personally I would take PA not being a must inform state to my advantage and not say a word. If they ask me to get out i'm gonna tell them i'm carrying, because if they see it print on the way out of the car your more than likley going to get a gun in your face. Also if they ask I would tell them, i'm not going to pull the I have nothing illegal in my car because your just delaying them asking you directly if you have a legal gun, no point in playing that game.

and your guns cant be registered in PA, theres no gun registration......

(Centre County)

But if you buy guns in PA and fill out the form, then that gets sent to PAHP or something like that?

I know that gun which I bought outside of PA can't be registard in PA. That I know
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

Mity - If your father or mother gave you that gun as part of their estate or otherwise you can register it in PA just take it to a dealer and do the transfer!

(Westmoreland County)

REPEAT AFTER ME: THERE IS NO REGISTRY IN PA

Guys, I don't know how many threads go over this but there's a freakin lot of them! There's no registry in PA. If you buy a firearm in another state, there's nothing you have to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by PA-Joe View Post
    Mity - If your father or mother gave you that gun as part of their estate or otherwise you can register it in PA just take it to a dealer and do the transfer!
    If you are gifted a firearm by your parents or grandparents or child, there is no background check needed. You don't have to do anything. All other transfers (sales, trades, gifts from non-parent/child) must undergo a background check.

THERE IS NO FORMAL REGISTRY
    Last edited by D-FENS; November 14th, 2007 at 08:56 AM.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Snyder County)

We talked about this at the meet a couple weeks ago, Mity. And I also just got done discussing this with my wife.

It is my stance that in PA, I don't inform verbally. I will hand the officer my license and LTCF when he comes to the window. In any other state, I will inform the officer verbally. This may be overkill in some states, but this is the way I choose to do things.

If I am asked if I have a weapon in the car, I will tell him. No need to try and beat around the bush with "I have nothing illegial." This might just piss him off. I will just say "I am legally concealing a weapon and I have provided you with my LTCF."

I had my experience on Sunday.
    Going to the shoot in Pittsburgh, I got pulled over for speeding 81 in a 65.
    I was carrying my .38, and my .9mm was right next to me in its own bag in the passenger seat loaded.
    When the officer approached, I had my license already out. He told me I was speeding... bla bla bla. I told him I was sorry. I informed him that I was carrying a loaded firearm, he said where is it, I removed my seat belt and pointed to my right side and I told him I had a loaded firearm in the bag. He said ok, thats fine, and he thanked me for respecting him enough to tell me. He also asked if I had a CCW I said yes, pulled it out of my wallet and handed it to him. He gave it a glance and gave it back. I got the ticket and everything. Last words he said to me were, "again thank you for telling me you had a weapon, that was extremely respectful, please be safe".
    I will be seeing him in court. Hopefully he will remember me as being respectful when I try to have the points knocked off, instead of remembering me as the bitch with the gun.

(Adams County)

Michele,

I had a similar situation except I was disarmed for the duration of the stop. I also went to court and the officer said that I was respectful and didn't cause any problems. It also helped that I bought a copy of my driving record from PENNDOT for $5 and showed him that I had not had a ticket in the last 5 years before the one he gave me. He cut the speed in half and got it approved by the magistrate. So if your record is good, you may want to spend the $5. The officer has no idea what your previous record was and this one didn't even know that the records could be purchased like that.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Tioga County)

Ah, Michele,

Your shameless, 81 in a 65. What will this do to your reputation? How are you getting along with your 9mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    I had my experience on Sunday.
    Going to the shoot in Pittsburgh, I got pulled over for speeding 81 in a 65.
    I was carrying my .38, and my .9mm was right next to me in its own bag in the passenger seat loaded.
    When the officer approached, I had my license already out. He told me I was speeding... bla bla bla. I told him I was sorry. I informed him that I was carrying a loaded firearm, he said where is it, I removed my seat belt and pointed to my right side and I told him I had a loaded firearm in the bag. He said ok, thats fine, and he thanked me for respecting him enough to tell me. He also asked if I had a CCW I said yes, pulled it out of my wallet and handed it to him. He gave it a glance and gave it back. I got the ticket and everything. Last words he said to me were, "again thank you for telling me you had a weapon, that was extremely respectful, please be safe".
    I will be seeing him in court. Hopefully he will remember me as being respectful when I try to have the points knocked off, instead of remembering me as the bitch with the gun.

(Luzerne County)

The 1st rule of dealing with the police is to NEVER volunteer information not required,
    NEVER!

Nothing "good" can come from it.

www.youandthepolice.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast