Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Well, it finally happened, I was "made" ....

..... at my local grocery store by the security guard.

A little background. I don't open carry (OC). I don't have anything against those who do. There are pros and cons to OC & concealed carry (CC) as I see it. I CC simply because I don't want any of the attention that may come with OC. I'm not an ambassador, nor an activist. I'm just a simple guy who chooses to carry a gun to protect myself and my family from the miscreants of the world.

So .... today I stop at the store on the way home from work, just like I do several times a week. As I enter I nod to the security guard, he's one of about 6 or 7 that seem to rotate thru the week at the entrance. Anyway I grab a cart and head to the meat section of the store. While perusing which cut would make the table tonight, the door guard approaches me ....

Guard: Excuse me sir

Me: How ya doing?

Guard: May I ask you a question?

Me: Sure

Guard: Do you have a weapon?

Me: Yes (as I look around to see if he has friends, he doesn't, not in uniform anyway)

Guard: Do you have a license? (yes he said license not permit)

Me: Yes I do.

Guard: OK Thanks, I noticed you printing when you came in. You know this being a business with cash around it's my job to notice these things.

Me: Well I'm sure you've seen me here many many times. (fat guy, always a sleeveless shirt lots of tattoo's I don't blend)

Guard: Yes I have.

Me: Well, I always have it with me.

Guard: This was the first time I noticed it. Thank you for being honest with me, thank you for not getting ignorant or upset. Have a good day.

He left, I finished shopping and he was at the door when I left, a bigger than normal smile and a "Have a good night sir" as I left.

The guard never asked to see my license. Best I could tell he didn't have back up, and none of the guards at the store are openly armed.

When I got to my car I glanced at my reflection in the car window and yea, I was printing pretty bad. Definite outline of my guns handle. I wear a Blade-Tech inside waistband (IWB) Ultimate Concealment holster.

At work I had a sweatshirt over it, it was pretty warm when I got to the store so I took the sweatshirt off and tucked my shirt over the gun kind of haphazardly. The holster is designed to allow for a shirt to be tucked into your pants over the holster. I'm normally pretty anal about not printing, and yes I am aware that there is no printing law here in Pa, as I stated earlier, I don't want the attention.

I've read many stories here on the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association (PAFOA) of how folks reacted when confronted about their gun, most of the time they were OCing. I've also read all the Monday morning quarterbacking that goes on here "you should have done ...." and whatnot.

I suppose if you do OC you are somewhat prepared for the questions, whether they be from a Law Enforcement Officer (LEO) or citizen. I was not. I didn't get ignorant, I didn't flip out, I answered the man's questions honestly and calmly. I didn't think about whether or not I should answer the questions, the whole conversation just kind of flowed along naturally.

This was my first encounter with someone in a position of authority, so to speak, and I think it went pretty smooth. I was able to finish my shopping without further incident.

So go ahead guys and gals critique if you must. Me, I'm OK with how things went.

Bill

Default Re: Well, it finally happened, I was "made" ....

I see nothing to critique at all, sounds like it went perfect and you and the security guard handled things professionally and in a personable manner.

Works for me!

(Montgomery County)

Sounds like it went fine to me.

(Lackawanna County)

No complaints here, and your OC/CC attitude is great!
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

well done - all the way around - from the situation to the write-up.

(Allegheny County)

Guard: This was the first time I noticed it. Thank you for being honest with me, thank you for not getting ignorant or upset. Have a good day.

It sounds as though he was at least as nervous as you were. All is well that ends well.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteG View Post

It sounds as though he was at least as nervous as you were. All is well that ends well.
    Too tell you the truth I really wasn't nervous, especially when I looked around and didn't see the troops closing in. It did catch me a tad off guard. I literally frequent that store 3 or more times a week. I've been carrying CC for a couple years now, no one of any stature has asked if I was carrying, until today.

YOU SHOULD NEVER ANSWER HIS QUESTIONS!!

Further, you have no obligation to be an ambassador for other gun carriers. You should have bitch slapped him into next week, then stomped on his nads for daring question you!!

Yeah... Joe is feeling a bit of the smart ass today

Nice peaceful encounter, not much to honestly critique. Can't hardly be a set way to handle every encounter. And now you know that that shirt doesn't work if you care about folks not knowing.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    YOU SHOULD NEVER ANSWER HIS QUESTIONS!!

Further, you have no obligation to be an ambassador for other gun carriers. You should have bitch slapped him into next week, then stomped on his nads for daring question you!!

Yeah... Joe is feeling a bit of the smart ass today

Nice peaceful encounter, not much to honestly critique. Can't hardly be a set way to handle every encounter. And now you know that that shirt doesn't work if you care about folks not knowing.
    There ya go, that was the opinion I was waiting for .....

Actually the shirt does work to conceal deep, I just tucked it in too tightly as I was getting out of my car, in other words, I got a little lazy & I knew it. I buy extra long shirts just for this purpose. Tuck 'em all the way in then pull out a little to give a loose look and thereby losing the outline of the gun's grip.

(Berks County)

No critique. Well done.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast