Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Smile Question about my AR15.

B"H

Hello guys. thank you very much for all the answers to all my question. so here is my new question. i fired my new smith and Wesson mp 15 with 200 bullets. i was reading on an online website some where that i have to grease it/oil it right after i brought it home or right after i fire a few shots the first time . is it true that i have to oil it? or should if forget about it beacuse it is brand new? in other words is a brand new rifle ready to go or due you need to do something to it? thanks for all the replies.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Question about my AR15.

You should lube your firearm. Put a nice coat of oil on your bolt as well. You should also invest in a cleaning kit for an ar. Or get a master kit if you plan on buying other guns in the future.

(Westmoreland County)

I know many people at our shop who buy a gun and immediatly run it into our range and fire it. Knock on wood, none have blown up yet.

Two problems can arise. DRY GUN - self explainitory. My uncled brought me a 6.8mm ar over easter which jammed after every shot. It was drier than king tuts butt inside.

Over oily gun - here the problem is too much oil in the barrel, which can lead to too much pressure and a bad barrel breakin

Always at least wipe the barrel out. I personally always wipe the factory preservative oil off of everything with a solvent, spray with a rust preventor like Amsoil rust proofer, and then oil the gun with my own lubes.

This approach take about an hour or 2, but I if I can spend good money on a gun, I like to take care of it.

(Lebanon County)

Guns are like any other machine. The better you take care of them the better they work and the longer they last.

With that being said I would suggest that after each session of shooting that you clean at least the major parts. Every so often strip the bolt down and clean the carbon off of everything as well as check the gas rings out.

As was mentioned before investing in a good quality cleaning kit for an AR is a good idea. Otis is one vendor that comes to mind. There are alot of different cleaning solvents out there but I recommend staying away from the automotive solvents. I've seen guys use brakekleen and oven cleaner only to learn that it makes their black rifle a funny color purple and melts the plastic.

Everyone has their own favorite way to oil the AR platform after cleaning but the biggest places to oil are the 4 points on the bolt carrier that ride on the upper receiver and the 2 holes that you can see the gas rings thru on the bolt carrier. If you get to much oil in an AR it collects dust and when you fire it can spray out into your eye or the heat burns it into gunk that is a PITA to get off.

There are alot of different oils/lubricant out that work depending on the environment and how hard you shoot the gun. Dry film lube works good in dusty/sandy places but doesn't work so well in humid places where rust is more of a concern.

Don't be afraid to take it apart into all of the different pieces and mess with it. The more familiar you get with it the better you can clean it and the more you can understand how each part works.

And a bit of caution DO NOT stick a q-tip into the gas key on the top of the bolt. You'll loose your mind trying to get it out when the end comes off in there. It always does, its kinda the unwritten rule. Pipe cleaners are your friend.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun." Jeff Cooper

(Bucks County)

Before firing for the first time I always field strip and thoroughly clean/lube the firearm ... this goes for both handguns and rifles. You'd be amazed at how filthy they are right out of the box.

(Chester County)

Guns usually come packed w/ packing grease (or that is what I was always told). It is a heavier grease to protect the metal in case it spends time on the shelf. You really want to get that off before you shoot it for two reasons I am aware of, both which were already mentioned. The overpressure issue and the fact that it gets baked on after a good number of rounds.

(Chester County)

I see your posts all the time,

What is the: B"H ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoomStick View Post
    I see your posts all the time,

What is the: B"H ?
    That was discussed in the lounge ... don't have the link handy though.

Voola ...

Get you self some CLP (clean,lube,protect), and lube up your BCG with that stuff.

Lycan's cleaning school ... use just a bore snake and a chamber brush for cleaning. Lycan, if I missed something please let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

I swear by a few different things that seem to work really well for me.

Boresnake- (does the job of 5 patches in a single pull)
    (Cheap knock off aerosol CLP)- (for blasting down gas keys etc so you NEVER have to stick anything down there to get stuck)
    Weaponshield CLP- for post cleaning lubrication.

Yes you probably should have done a pre-shooting new rifle clean / lube. But you didn't. So now that you didn't just do a very thorough post / shooting clean and lube. That's all you can do and it should probably be fine.