Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default smith wesson vs taurus

I'm shopping for a small-frame, 38-special revolver for concealed carry. I've narrowed my choices to the SW 638 or 642 and any of the various versions of the Taurus 85. Is the SW worth the extra $100 or so? Also, what's the difference between the SW models 638 and 642?
    Any advice is much appreciated.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: smith wesson vs taurus

There's no fair comparison between the S&W and Taurus. If I was just buying for concealed carry I'd save the $100 and get the Taurus.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

Smile Re: smith wesson vs taurus

I have the s&w 637,,but today I would save the $100 for my pocket,taurus is fine lifetime warranty just like smith,Buy your significant other a christmas gift with the money you saved and will be happy with both decisions. Bill

(York County)

I've had 5 or 6 (maybe 7) Taurus 85's over the years. Most were stainless, but two were light weight (Aluminum/Titanium and all Titanium). I still have the two light weigt revolvers. I've had the aluminum/titanium (exposed hammer) gun for 10-12 years now. I'd estimate 700-1200 rounds have been fired through it. The titanium gun was purchased because it has a shrouded hammer. The shrouded hammer guns are a bit easier to draw, less wearing on clothing and still allow both single and double action shooting.
    These Taurus 85's and derivatives are nice guns...every bit as nice as a S&W. Both of mine have been used extensively for carry and both are shot every 2-3 months (maybe a box of ammo between the two).
    I do recommend any..any...handgun purchased for carry have 200-300 rounds fired through it before considering it reliable enough for carry.
    If the OP plans to pocket or ankle carry, go for one of the light weight revolvers. If he plans on OWB or IWB, go for the stainless.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the comments and advice. They confirm my suspicions that Taurus is a better value. I still don't know the difference between the SW models 638 and 642 though.
    Love your country - Fear your government

(Monroe County)

My friend bought a brand new SW 642 for around 400-450 dollars. After tax and transfer it was under 500.

Shop around, if you can find the SW for the right price, go for it. Taurus is a good manufacturer, but you will hear they do have some problems. With the revolver probably not nearly as much as the semi-auto.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    My friend bought a brand new SW 642 for around 400-450 dollars. After tax and transfer it was under 500.

Shop around, if you can find the SW for the right price, go for it. Taurus is a good manufacturer, but you will hear they do have some problems. With the revolver probably not nearly as much as the semi-auto.

I agree that S & W price tags are too high. I've heard of problems with Taurus semi-autos and customer service turn around. Then again, the S & W name is on the Walther PPK/S and there are issues with them. I agree that the revolver will have less issues.

(Montgomery County)

Here is the Smith 638. It has a shrouded yet cockable hammer.

Here is the Smith and Wesson 642. It has a completely enclosed hammer that is DAO and not cockable.

I prefer the 642, and carry one on a regular basis. In my opinion there is no need for a cockable hammer on a double action revolver used for self defense. Pulling the trigger is just fine.

As for the difference, talk to your local gunsmith. I prefer Smith and Wesson over Taurus, but that is my preference. The action job I have on my 642 has made it so slick and smooth, very desirable...
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Bucks County)

Looking at the S&W websight, I noticed that for some versions of the models 638 and 642 it says "+P ammo only." Can this be right? I thought that any gun that shoots 38+P can also can shoot regular 38 special ammo.
    Love your country - Fear your government

(Westmoreland County)

I pocket-carried a 642 for years. Lightweight and rugged. I would hesitate to purchase the Taurus. JMO>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast