Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default A few questions about buying a AOW

I'm considering purchasing a Thompson 1927, mere for collection than a practical range gun. Can any FFL make this transaction or do I need to find a FFL that can handle NFA/Class3? I was given a website, NFAdealers.com so I can find a dealer but I was curious if any FFL can make the transaction. Also, I have a non-resident UT permit which required a FBI fingerprint card, do I have to do this again for the NFA? And I assume when I find an FFL that can obtain a Thompson 1927, I assume they'll purchase it immediately and hold it until I get clearance from the NFA? What if I buy a Thompson this weekend but while I'm waiting for the NFA clearance, the assualt ban in reinstated, does this mean I'm grandfathered in and can still buy the Thompson? Thanks, David

Default Re: A few questions about buying a AOW

First of all why are you stating it's an AOW?

Most of them out there are either SBR (smei auto), full auto, or in the AOW it's a pistol style thompson with a VFG (aow).

Which are you looking to buy?

This is a process that can take months with the approval, not something that can happen overnight.

(Lancaster County)

Thanks. A Thompson 1927 A-1 SBR.

(Berks County)

There are a lot of issues you bring up.

1. A non-SOT CAN do the transfer, but the out-of-state dealer must transfer the gun to the non-SOT and the non-SOT MUST pay the transfer fee to him/her. Then, you must again pay the transfer tax to transfer it to you.

2. A SOT in your state can have the weapon transferred to him/her from another SOT in another state. Then, you just have the pay the transfer tax from your dealer to you.

3. If you find a person in your state that owns the weapon, you do not have to go through a an FFL or SOT because you can do the paperwork yourselves and just incur the transfer tax.

4. You must ALWAYS do more fingerprint card whether it be your first NFA transfer or your 100th. The only way to get around this is to use a trust or corp.

5. Yes the FFL or SOT must hold the weapon because it will be in his/her name and it would be unlawful possession of a NFA weapon if anyone else had possession.

6. As to your last question, nobody can answer it because nobody knows what the enacted law would look like. They may or may not grandfather you.