Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Thumbs up reloading 38 special

i been loading 357 awhile now but getting things gathered up to load 38s. got a good deal on 125 grain hard cast bullets, , never loaded cast bullets before and would like to know anything different in loading them compared to loading jacketed bullets. also was wondering if i have to use small pistol primers [standard] or since i have a supply of small pistol magnum primers on hand if i could use them without causing any probs.any and all help would be appreciated

(Centre County)

Default Re: reloading 38 special

Not much different than loading anything else. Since you'll be loading a bit lighter you really don't need the magnum primers unless the load manual calls for them. I don't use magnum primers in anything unless my load book calls for them. If they are good, really hard, hard cast bullets you may be able to load them the same as the jacketed 125 gr bullets. The softer bullets, loaded hotter will lead up the barrel easier and quicker. Keep everything nice and easy and you shouldn't have any problems.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

You might find you need to bell your case mouth a little bit more to seat the bullet without shaving lead. Just bell enough so the base of the bullet just enters the case mouth. Keep your velocities below 1000 fps and you'll have no problem with leading the bore.

If you're planning on shooting these cartridges in your .357Magnum revolver, I suggest you order some chamber brushes from Brownell, they're cheap and you should have them anyhow. The reason is that the shorter .38 Spec. fired from a .357 Magnum chamber can leave lead in the step near the chamber mouth, too much lead and you could have trouble chambering Magnum catridgese. But, that does take a fair amount of shooting and neglect.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Westmoreland County)

All of the above is true, I have loaded cast Bullets for years. The main thing with cast. Keep them under 1000 FPS. Without a Gas check, And watch whom you get your bullets from. Most of the normal Mail order Bullets are pretty good. There bullets run 22 BHN and above. But without a lead tester. I would stay away from the Gun show stuff. A lot of those Guys cast out of Wheel Weights witch are fine. But if they do not get the Stick on weights out, it pollutes the hole Batch. And the Beveled Base stuff loads easier but will lead more, I cast my own Bullets and watch what goes in as well as heat-treat them. Stay within the reloading Manual and you will not have a problem. One thing to remember. The two main causes of leading are, pushing to soft a bullet to fast, or pushing a hard bullet to slow. Another Idea would be Berry Bullets online They are a plated bullet for light to Mid- Range loads and cost about the same as Lead. and they have free Shipping on orders of $50.00 or more. I have shot a lot of them they load nice and shoot very well

(Bucks County)

Give Mike a call at mastercastbullets.com . Nice guy, good prices. Not sure how long the wait is right now, but last summer it was about 3 weeks from time I ordered till arrived at my door. I was getting 200gr LSWC's for my 45acp, but he also has 38cal. Another suggestion is trying gunbroker.com, go to the reloading/supplies section and search ' 38 cal ' , ' 357 ' . I've gotten quite a few great deals there, just know the final cost with shipping before bidding. No sales tax if seller is outside PA.

(Lawrence County)

thank you for the advice. the bullets are hunters hard cast . hope that is a good supply