Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Where do you shoot?

I'm new to PAFOA...hi everyone!!

Been a member of Firing line for the last 2 years. but to be honest, I'm tired of paying their membership fee, and then having to pay their inflated ammo prices.

as a work around, I've been going to Ommelanden Hunter Education Training Center in New castle, Delaware. They charge $2.50 per half hour (one hour is usually enough for me) and you bring your own ammo (I can get Winchester white box for $30 (100 rounds) at Wal-Mart) for my G23. They are an outdoor range, so you can shoot long guns as well.

But it's a drive, about 30Min one way from S. philly. Where do you guys go to shoot? I'm looking for a place that I can go to regularly, and still not have to shell out like $50+ every time.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Where do you shoot?

If you don't mind shooting outside, why not consider Langhorne Rod and Gun Club. 30 minutes north of Phila.

http://langhornerodandgunclub.org/

Here is info on our action pistol program

http://langhornerodandgunclub.org/ap/

Regards,
    Gary

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lastdefender View Post
    If you don't mind shooting outside, why not consider Langhorne Rod and Gun Club. 30 minutes north of Phila.

http://langhornerodandgunclub.org/

Here is info on our action pistol program

http://langhornerodandgunclub.org/ap/

Regards,
    Gary

Gary,

Thanks, I'll check them out... I'm interested in their action pistol program.

-Gary

(Montgomery County)

I'm going to check out Philadelphia Archery & Guns this afternoon ...http://www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com/

I called them, and it's 15 bucks for a lane (non member) if you shoot their ammo, 25 bucks if you shoot your own.

It's better than 15 bucks plus another 20 for every box of 9 ...

(Philadelphia County)

I've shot at LRGC, which is an awesome club with great people if you don't mind the drive up there.

Locally, Firing Line and SPAG are both good choices. I prefer SPAG as a matter of personal preference and if you get a VIP membership you end up saving money in the long run if you do a fair amount of shooting.

I've never been to Holmsberg but I intend to check it out. The one thing that turns me off of Holmsberg is they prohibit carry (because the corrections guys practice there so they are afraid of anyone else allowed to carry). I'm not sure what it's like up there but the concept of going to a somewhat remote outdoor range with a bag full of guns and ammo, alone and unarmed under their rules, creeps me out a little. Anybody know if there is at least somebody working security there all the time?

(Philadelphia County)

i'm also in S philly and shoot at SPAG which is convenient for me right now and their ammo prices are reasonable. the shop and range are very clean and once you get to know the guys they are very friendly and accomidating. i would like to join an outdoor range in the near future and start reloading, i love langhorne rod and gun and i want to check out holmesburg but the thought of drivin 30-45 minz to shoot when it's 15 - 95 degrees would suck. best thing about indoor is it's always nice inside
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Philadelphia County)

Even with the drive I probably end up saving money going to Ommelanden. If only they didn't have such screwy hours and ammo restrictions. I can walk to Firing Line or SPAG but their ammo is just too expensive and most of the time I'd rather shoot longer ranges.

I've got a SPAG membership that is soon to expire and I probably wont renew since I only made it out twice the past year.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie D View Post
    Even with the drive I probably end up saving money going to Ommelanden. If only they didn't have such screwy hours and ammo restrictions. I can walk to Firing Line or SPAG but their ammo is just too expensive and most of the time I'd rather shoot longer ranges.

I've got a SPAG membership that is soon to expire and I probably wont renew since I only made it out twice the past year.
    My membership with the Firing Line just expired, I'm not renewing it.

I'm heading out to Ommelanden tomorrow morning. A buddy of mine has never been shooting, so I'm taking him.

I hear ya about no evening hours (except wed), but I don't mind the easy Sat (or Sun) morning drive down there. Heck, I work in De, and do 90+ miles commute (RT) everyday. So a 30min drive is nothing to me.

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/club.php/333
    Last edited by jahfakin; March 6th, 2009 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jahfakin View Post
    Been a member of Firing line for the last 2 years. but to be honest, I'm tired of paying their membership fee, and then having to pay their inflated ammo prices.
    I shoot at Classic Pistol in Southampton. Membership starts at $165 (Handgun only), and goes up from there depending on whether you shoot long gun or full auto. Range fees for non-members are $15/hr, if I remember correctly. Guests with members, again if I remember correctly, are $8 for the day. Member or not, you can shoot their ammo or yours, and their prices for ammo are very reasonable. They only require the use of their ammo if you rent their guns, which seems more than fair to me. The range is clean and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable. They also offer discounts to members on a variety of things.

You said you shoot about an hour at a time. If you buy the membership and shoot more than 11 times (11 hours * 15/hr = $165) a year, you're essentially shooting for free. In my mind, that's a great deal. Sure, it's a little money to lay out, but then you're done paying range time for the year.

By way of full disclosure: I'm a member there, but have no stake in the business. I like to recommend businesses who are good at what they do, treat people right, and are easy to deal with.

(Delaware County)

I'm a member of South Chester county Sportsmen & Farmers Association.

It's a nice range and usually dead...15/25/50/100 yds ranges (Outdoor)

http://sccsfa.org/
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast