Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: Bolt action 7.62x39 Love

I too am in the CZ love club. The 527 is just so spectacular in 7.62x39. Mine has a Leopold 3x9 on top and makes my okay marksmanship look pretty good everytime I put rounds downrange with it. Now CZ has added the 6.5 Grendel as well to the available lineup for the 527.

I may just pawn my firstborn to get one.

(Carbon County)

You bet! I have the original. There was a very rare Ruger at the time I built mine, but impossible to find one. I have an Arisaka I cut and welded. It uses Ruger mini-30 magazines. By the time I got done about the only thing original was half the receiver and half the stock. I used the original barrel(.311) and load Remington .308 SPCL 150 gr bullets with a max load of Hogdon powder. It kills deer about like a 30-30 and @100 yards it is unbelievably accurate considering the under size bullets. I tried 150 gr .303 bullets and they shot worse. Just as well, the Remington .308's are for a 30-30 and open up at lower velocities. You never know. I bought an Arisaka at a Flea Market that was re-cut to .300 Savage and with box ammo it was deadly @100 yards too.
    I was going to post pictures but I can't get them in the library. I think they are too big?

(York County)

I bugged a collector/machinist friend for years about building some SKCanos using sporterized Italian Carcanos mated to one of a number of SKS barrels he had. I'm holding out hope he'll do the build some day.

(Carbon County)

I have an SKS barrel too. I have it between two floor joists in the basement to hang deer on when I skin them. The uses for 7.62x39 stuff is endless.

Put together new deer and coyote slayer in a small lighter weight package for this season.

Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 with a Primary Arms 1x6 FFP Raptor with a 7.62x39/.300 blk calibrated BDC sporting 10 round mini-30 magazines.

I hit a friends back yard range and was able to get it sighted in at 50 yards (which is what you want using Raptor x39 reticle) within 5 shots. The 2nd 5 shot group at 50 were all touching using 124gr Wolf MC classic soft point. This surprised the hell out of me but it's what I have been seeing on Youtube since ordering the rifle. I am figuring that out at 100 it will be about 1.25-1.50 with me behind the trigger, which is my example is really good. The scope is great, glass is super clear and the reticle kicks ass. My only complaints with it would be it's a bit on the heavy side and the eye box is rather tight but there has to be some downfall when it comes to a budget optic. I bought it used but never used off a very trusted member on the AK files so I got an Amazing price on it and didn't have to wait since these sell out faster then 9mm and 223 these days'.

(Carbon County)

Nice looking rifle. I would take it deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Nice looking rifle. I would take it deer hunting.
    Thanks!

I appears to be surprisingly accurate for a budget rifle using cheap steel cased ammunition.

(Cumberland County)

I love this rifle and have thought of the Primary Arms 1-6 scope many times. I wish they had that reticle on a 2-10x scope.

Today I spent a few hours at the range getting a few AR's sighted in on the red dots and buis at 50 yards. When I was done with that I switched to the Ruger Ranch to get some more time behind the trigger and see if I could duplicate the results I got after it's initial sight in a few weeks back with the PA 1x6 ACSS Raptor. I wanted to see if my initial results with this rifle were repeatable since I only fired 1 5 shot group after shooting 4 rounds to get it on paper. I put 2 targets up at the 50 yard line, one for 124gr Wolf MC SP and the 2nd for 124gr S&B SP to see which one does better.

Here is the Wolf MC and the 1st 5 shot group at 7/8" sure did duplicate what I got last time. I alternated ammo and targets so the next 5 shots was the S&B.

And again the 2nd 50 yard group of the day came in at 7/8" with the S&B.

After this the groups with Wolf opened up for me, I pulled one more .5 moa group off with the S&B for my 2nd group with that ammo but 4th of the session then the next opened up. By this time I was going for over an hour between my AR's and this and I was starting to feel a bit fatigued, and the bore was well heated so maybe that has something to do with it?

Last group at 50 yards was with Tula 122gr FMJ and it came in with at a lackluster 2.5".

I was able to muster 10 more minutes and set up on the 100 yard range just to see where I am at and here is what happened.

2 3/4" with the wolf and 1 1/4" for the S&B at 100. I only had 4 rounds of each left since I had to make a few minor adjustments on the elevation and windage when I 1st started shooting. I am going to give it a good cleaning before I take it out again then I am going right to the 100 yard range while feeling fresh and with a cold bore. I was shooting off a bench with a bag rest which I am not used to at all. I felt like I could not get comfortable so next time I am going to ditch the bag and go with a bipod.

All in all I am happy with the rifle and think for what it is and the price it offers a lot. My only criticism as of now is one of the OEM 10 round mags is not feeding reliably on the last round. I think it has to to with the BHO which the mini 30 uses. I will have to mess around with them some more to see if anything can be done about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123