Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default 2nd outing with Sig P-226 Combat

My first time didn't go so well.
    (detail here --> http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/49...26-combat.html)

I had some FTE, and slide didn't want to lock on empty. I was dissapointed.
    Since then, as many of your recommendation, I clean the heck out of the weapon, lube the heck out of the weapon, let it sit few days with slide locked back, and so on.
    And I also switched mag release on my index finger side as well.

Well, I went out with several different ammo - cheapo CCI, WWB, Federal, and PMC, as well as some heavier(147gr)JHP, and +P thinking they'd give me little more slide speed.

Well, she ran perfect. I mean it ran like champ with all elcheapo FMJ. It ejected each and all, and alide locked everytime on empty. Hard to imagin just 4 days ago, it didn't want to.
    it also ran fine with JHP, and +P.

I guess all it needed was good cleaning, and lubing!
    I still didn't use so called "slide grease" per recommendation from Sig forum peeps. I did buy slightly thicker viscosity lube, however.

Still shooting slightly lower left tho... But I'm still trying to get used to SA trigger action.

Regardlessly, I'm now as happy as 16 y/o who made it to the 3rd base for the first time!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Chester County)

Default Re: 2nd outing with Sig P-226 Combat

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    My first time didn't go so well.
    (detail here --> http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/49...26-combat.html)

I had some FTE, and slide didn't want to lock on empty. I was dissapointed.
    Since then, as many of your recommendation, I clean the heck out of the weapon, lube the heck out of the weapon, let it sit few days with slide locked back, and so on.
    And I also switched mag release on my index finger side as well.

Well, I went out with several different ammo - cheapo CCI, WWB, Federal, and PMC, as well as some heavier(147gr)JHP, and +P thinking they'd give me little more slide speed.

Well, she ran perfect. I mean it ran like champ with all elcheapo FMJ. It ejected each and all, and alide locked everytime on empty. Hard to imagin just 4 days ago, it didn't want to.
    Told ya!

Lube is too often ignored, but is often the most frequent cause for tight fitting guns to malf.

Great guns, just keep em wet. Glad to hear it worked out.

(Allegheny County)

hey Mity, for the Lube, get yourself some Weapon Shield from George. that's the only CLP i will use on my firearms. plus it's a PA based buisness.

Great to see that you are getting use to the trigger, by the looks of the target your doin good. once my tax return gets here, i'll be getting me a new P226 in 9mm
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Chester County)

Or just stop by pep boys and get a lifetime supply of gun lube (motor oil) for $4.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Or just stop by pep boys and get a lifetime supply of gun lube (motor oil) for $4.
    I know I probably will get ridiculed for asking this but can you use motor oil to lubricate your guns? I mean can you only use it where the rails or anywhere or can you use it period? I only ask because i dont have any thicker gun oil besides WD-40 and Rem-Gun Oil which is what i use to keep em all from not rusting and the motoroil thing would be really nice considering my dad owns a Auto Repair shop on the side and i could get some of that no prob.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&W 10mm View Post
    I know I probably will get ridiculed for asking this but can you use motor oil to lubricate your guns? I mean can you only use it where the rails or anywhere or can you use it period? I only ask because i dont have any thicker gun oil besides WD-40 and Rem-Gun Oil which is what i use to keep em all from not rusting and the motoroil thing would be really nice considering my dad owns a Auto Repair shop on the side and i could get some of that no prob.
    Neither of the two lubes you mentioned are really "lubes". WD-40 doesn't go near any firearm I own. RemOil gets used as a cleaner, for me.

Lube is lube is lube. If if sufficiently reduces friction between the two surfaces in question, it works. Pat Rogers put out an article a year or two ago where he ran an AR with suntan lotion and Vagisil....

"bonds to the metal", "provides a dry protective lubricating film", "cleans while it protects" "leaves a lasting teflon layer" and all the other hype reads like a Billy Mayes infomercial, IMO.

Try it for yourself, and see what you think. I've run just about everything on it, and to date I've seen 1 custom shop S&W 952 gum up some in the cold with it.....other than that, it seems to work better, in my experience, as a lube than most any of the gun lubes on the shelf. (haven't messed extensively with militec, tw25b, weapon shield, slip 2k or slide-glide)

What I do know is that when I ran 50+ rental guns on 20w synthetic motor oil for a good 6 months...they ran better than ever, and stayed lubed longer than ever before.

But, try it yourself, and see what you find.

(Philadelphia County)

I really like Miltec, I use on all of my firearms, never any problems.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    hey Mity, for the Lube, get yourself some Weapon Shield from George. that's the only CLP i will use on my firearms. plus it's a PA based buisness.

Great to see that you are getting use to the trigger, by the looks of the target your doin good. once my tax return gets here, i'll be getting me a new P226 in 9mm

I was thinking about Weapon shield today as matter of fact, since sample I got from them did work really well.
    I've also used motoroil on some of my past weapons(mostly an eastern bloc stuffs) with pretty good results.
    if its good enough to protect delicate bearing sarfaces of internal combustion engine(and its pretty violent in there if you can imagin), it'll do just fine for firearm, which subjected to FAR less then inside of your engine.

While weapon ran great today, i did find few things with P-226(Yes, even the mighty Sig has some things that could be improved upon).
    First thing I realised was that how cheap the grip panel is. I have to admit, grip on what retails for $1200 should have something thats slightly better quality and fit. They just feel cheap. I'm thinking of gray laminated grip from Equinox or Elite stainless would look nice in its place.

Another thing I find it annoying is decocker. Decocker itself, I have no issue with. Its rather their fit.
    I had the weapon for less then a week, but I already have nice arc scratch on finish from decocking lever dragging across frame, and also a nick on frame just above it where lever hits when you let go of lever.

Its faint right now(afterall, its only been 5 days..)

You can clearly see where lever is hitting frame in this pic(looks like a while dot..)

Function wise, none of these matter, i know. But then again, it is $1200 weapon, and I expected little better fit...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lancaster County)

I am glad to hear that your sig is not malfunctioning anymore. Looking at those pictures, I would be a little upset with the fit also. Not too bad though!

Beautiful Gun!

And one last thing...Motor oil? Whooda thunk it? I'll give it a try soon.

Is it better to run lighter or heavier motor oil? Synthetic on regular? Pennsoil or Castrol? LOL

i shot my berreta low and left for years, not much but it was consistent. i picked a tip up from this site. pay more attention to your week hand, are you a righty? it worked for me. so long as i remember to do it
    To err is human, to be prepared divine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast