Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default question on position of weapon

when i open carry, i have my bersa in my fobus holster on my right hip( i HATE the fobus!), while on the harley with the wife, she asked if i could move it because it kept hitting her knee, so i just put it on the other hip with the butt of the gun facing out, after we got off for a stretch, i noticed that this was more comfortable of a reach for me. is there any drawbacks to carrying this way, does anyone else carry this way, and most imporatantly, does anyone know of a better holster!! lol
    mikey

(Bucks County)

Default Re: question on position of weapon

The arguments I've heard against cross draw are that is is slower and not as safe.

(Westmoreland County)

Shouldn't be anymore slow or dangerous than wearing a shoulder holster. If it's comfortable to you...roll with it!

It's great for Vehicle carry, and VIP protection professionals often wear an empty holster for their primary weapon "cross-draw" just for this reason.

(Jefferson County)

pros & cons just like strongside..

I prefer cross draw myself, but it isn't for everyone.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

i carry that way all the time and with some practice cross draw seems no slower

As soon as you clear the holster "strong sided", you can point the firearm toward a threat and begin to fire while gaining distance and continue to fire while coming up to a traditional two handed grip. Faster yes. Much faster? I don't know.
    Jules

(Jefferson County)

With a cross draw, you can be on target with one motion. You can even shorten the time by turning your body bringing the muzzle to bear even faster. Mind you its an unaimed 5-15ft COM fire-on-draw stance starting fire at near the waist and bringing up to eye in the process. If practiced you can hammer 2, 3 or more shots into a torso at typical ranges by the time a strong side gets his out of the holster then turned 90 degrees. The technique requires a lot of one-handed control though.

Strong side takes two motions to get the muzzle to bear.

Either way - practice, practice, practice. Some will find strong side faster, some will find cross draw faster.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Berks County)

1. Carry how you're comfortable, and practice that way.

2. Get rid of that damn Fobus holster and get a Blackhawk SERPA. I would carry concealed before I would even think of OCing with a Fobus.

Just my $.02

(Westmoreland County)

Crossdraw is definitely more comfortable in a seated position and while driving / riding.

The disadvantages are that you can possibly cover people with your muzzle during the drawstroke and that the lateral motion from the holster to the midline of the body is not as "precise" of a movement (e.g. it's easy to "overtravel").

The way the presentation (drawstroke) is taught is through a step by step process or "counts". We break down the presentation into "counts" so that each "count" (or step) can be "perfectly practiced". Done in this manner, a smooth, fluid drawstroke can be achieved.

If you decide to carry Crossdraw, you should really purchase a Crossdraw holster because they usually have a slight, forward cant. Using a strong side holster worn Crossdraw as you are doing now with the fobus is not as ergonomic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast