Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default how important is it to fire a handgun before you buy it?

If you are thinking about buying a certain handgun, I heard that it's really important to handle it to see if it's a proper fit. But what about actually firing it? Is it also important to fire a handgun that you are thinking about buying? I did some reading, and some people have said that guns which feel mediocre (just by handling them) actually perform very well. What are your thoughts about this?

Personally, I would like fire every gun that I consider buying, but that's kind of unrealistic. There aren't that many ranges that do handgun rentals. And even with those that do, the handguns are usually older models and they don't have newer handguns.

A lot of those tiny gun shops don't even have firing ranges where you can try handguns.

Default Re: how important is it to fire a handgun before you buy it?

Look around on the forum and attend group shoots. They normally have a HUGE selection of guns. Everyone is willing to share.

Or,
    If someone on the forum posts that they have a certain gun you might be interested in, ask them if you can try it.

Its really just that simple.

(Bucks County)

Start a thread titled "I'd like to try a ______." I'd be willing to bet you'd get tons of offers to meet someone at a range and have at it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    If you are thinking about buying a certain handgun, I heard that it's really important to handle it to see if it's a proper fit. But what about actually firing it? Is it also important to fire a handgun that you are thinking about buying? I did some reading, and some people have said that guns which feel mediocre (just by handling them) actually perform very well. What are your thoughts about this?

Personally, I would like fire every gun that I consider buying, but that's kind of unrealistic. There aren't that many ranges that do handgun rentals. And even with those that do, the handguns are usually older models and they don't have newer handguns.

A lot of those tiny gun shops don't even have firing ranges where you can try handguns.

Like buying a car, it is advised to test drive it before you buy.

This is a rule I will follow WITH NO EXCEPTION when buying used.

Now, I have fired MANY Glocks before I got mine. I knew what what I wanted. So I got my Glock 23 new online for the best price.
    So, when buying new, you do not need to fire the exact one your buying if you have shot the same model elsewhere.

But if your buying used, TEST IT BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!
    Never buy used from a gun shop with out a range. No range means the shop has no idea if it works either, but they will sell it to you for a premium price thats for sure!!

Hope that helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Start a thread titled "I'd like to try a ______." I'd be willing to bet you'd get tons of offers to meet someone at a range and have at it.
    Yup!

You'll get more offers than you'll know what to do with. You'll be trying a whole array of firearms.

You might even be persuaded to join the EBR club.

The polite thing too, bring a bit of ammo for the guns you will be trying.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Look around on the forum and attend group shoots. They normally have a HUGE selection of guns. Everyone is willing to share.

Or,
    If someone on the forum posts that they have a certain gun you might be interested in, ask them if you can try it.

Its really just that simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Ok, I'll try that. But I still think it would be nice if gun shops had their own ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    Like buying a car, it is advised to test drive it before you buy.

This is a rule I will follow WITH NO EXCEPTION when buying used.

Now, I have fired MANY Glocks before I got mine. I knew what what I wanted. So I got my Glock 23 new online for the best price.
    So, when buying new, you do not need to fire the exact one your buying if you have shot the same model elsewhere.

But if your buying used, TEST IT BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!
    Never buy used from a gun shop with out a range. No range means the shop has no idea if it works either, but they will sell it to you for a premium price thats for sure!!

Hope that helps!!
    I'm definitely going to buy online, since some of the shops charge ridiculous prices for just about anything they sell.

What has been said +. Feel and fit are important but not the same as how it feels in action. Shooting one can change your mind. I don't like glocks by the way they feel in my hand. I've shot a few, 9mm, 40 S&W, normal and CC and none felt right. I'm not saying it's a bad handgun, it just does not feel right, to me. Find something that feels good.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    The polite thing too, bring a bit of ammo for the guns you will be trying.
    I know, but it's more easily said than done. Trying to find ammo at the store now is like trying to find rubies in your back yard.

Lol, everyone knows how well Walmart's shelves are stocked. I've been calling them all week with no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    I know, but it's more easily said than done. Trying to find ammo at the store now is like trying to find rubies in your back yard.

Lol, everyone knows how well Walmart's shelves are stocked. I've been calling them all week with no luck.
    I fully understand times are tough now with the ammo situation.

There are other ways you can reciprocate. Be creative!

There are more than enough folks here that will gladly put one of their firearms in your hands for fondling. Truth be told, WE LOVE to do that. All of us love showing off our babies and have others oogling over them.

**If you find rubies in my backyard, rest assured I'll supply you with all the ammo you want** LOL

(Philadelphia County)

Ya know...not really important to me at all. I've bought about 20 guns, many were used, and never shot any of them before each purchase. A lot of them were purchased online and some are unique enough that I wouldn't be able to find at a shop for rent, or even from local members. A few examples are S&W 629PC, Dan Wesson Model 12, Uzi, Norinco 84s-1, and even the Kimber TLR/RL II. The only one that didn't work out too well was the NAA Guardian 380, which happened to have a 12lbs after market trigger (10lbs factory, but required to be 12 since it was a CO cop's BUG). I ended up selling it, but only after having shot it quite a bit.

I don't know, the way I figured it was that I should've done enough homework to buy a particular gun based on reviews. My personal experience is that no one gun will fit you perfectly on 1 try anyway. If they are designed and sold by a reputable company, I don't have too much to worry about. A shooter should be able to adapt to the gun and not blame the gun or the gun's design for his own short-coming. In that regard, I expect myself to be able to comfortably handle any gun after a few trips to the range. Having a gun for an extended period really let me feel it out, especially if I were to consider it for a carry gun. No one is going to let you borrow a gun to carry around for a while to "test it out". Worst case, there is always Marketplace.

The down side is obviously the cost and time, but I've found my approach to be worth it as I am very satisfied with every gun I keep and never had to wonder about those that I wanted to, but never had a chance to give an honest try.

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast