Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Left vs Right

(Lebanon County)

Default Left vs Right

I am natively RH'd but am left eye dominant. Every other firearm I own is for the other 90%-93% of the population. Looking to put together a AR in the very near future. When I qualified those many years ago, memory says it didn't bother me. However this time it's my choice, not Uncle Sam's.
    You southpaws out there .. you guys suffer w/ brass flying across your face or did you go ahead and get a Stag lefty? ( the only place that I've found to mfg LH models ) and if you did go RH, does it bother you ?
    /bug

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Left vs Right

I shoot a RH AR left handed. It does not bother me at all. That said, if I were you and already shooting right handed rifles I would just shoot my AR right handed. Eye dominance is relatively easy to deal with shooting rifles. I shoot rifles with one eye closed or covered all the time.
    The Lord Bless You

(Allegheny County)

I hunt and do most of my fun shooting right handed, but I am also left eye dominant. I tend to buy most of my target competition guns in left handed versions. My M16 was a righty and I found it easier to move and shoot as a righty. I would say depending on what you want the gun for should make the difference.

As far as I know stag makes the only lefty. If you find it easier to get the one you want in a righty and adjust your gas to eject the brass more forward instead of sideways, or buy one with a deflector hump. Either one of those would keep the brass away.

I don't have an AR right now but I am planning of getting one of stag's model 7H in a righty when I do. Like I said, find out your purpose and if a left or right just feels more natural go that way. Brass shouldn't be an issue.

(Lancaster County)

I am a right hand shooter, left eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open though, that may make a difference. One thing you can do is wear an eyepatch or blacken the lens on a pair of safety glasses when you shoot, that usually helps to focus on the sight picture if you usually squint.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

(York County)

I too am right handed but shoot as a lefty.

The 3 AR's i have are right handed. I want to be able to pick up any rifle and shoot it without fumbling because i developed muscle memory on a stag lefty.
    I did install an ambi safety.

BTW, i do have a stag and i love it.

(Montgomery County)

Lefty in a righty rifle world here.
    I thought on the lefty Stag upper for a while before I got into ARs, and decided against it. While I love Stag Arms stuff, I don't want to limit myself to one manufacturer if I need a part. I find that I can manipulate any button or switch from a firing position, with the exception of the bolt release (trigger finger is a little short but I slightly adjust grip and hit it with the middle) and I threw on an ambi-selector. I spent about an hour butchering 2 standard selector to make a custom left only selector, then thought to do a web search, and found that Stag sells a lefty selector for $15.
    Personally, I've never had a problem with flying brass aside from my drop in .22 conversion peppering my right shoulder occasionally.
    I want to be able to pick up anything standard and be able to operate it however necessary.

(Lebanon County)

I believe that I will go w/ the more widely available RH systems as well. I will look for the lefty selector. Staying RH opens up all manufacturers as well as bigger customer base if the need to sell the weapon arises. Thanks all for your input
    /bug

Any AR with the shell deflector is fine for LH use.

(Montgomery County)

I'm totally messed up. Left-eye dominant. I shoot long guns lefty and pistols right handed/left eyed.

My ARs have been no problem to shoot lefty.

While you can shoot righty with only your non-dominant eye, you loose the option to use a low or non-magnified sight (Eotech, ACOG, etc.) with both eyes open to aid situational awareness and tracking/target engagement in closer-in situations. (Trijicon calls it the Bindon Aiming Concept http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/compan...o_trijicon.php)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugman916 View Post
    I believe that I will go w/ the more widely available RH systems as well. I will look for the lefty selector. Staying RH opens up all manufacturers as well as bigger customer base if the need to sell the weapon arises. Thanks all for your input
    I'd suggest an ambi-selector rather than a special "lefty" one.

1) Depending on what you decide to do with it, you'll likely want to run "weak-side" (RH) drills.
    2) Works easily for anybody who shoots it.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Allegheny County)

Stag also sells a left hand mag release for right handed ARs
    The Lord Bless You