Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Mini-14, thoughts?

So I am considering some rifles for my future purchases. Money is going to be tight for the next year or two so two rifles that are at the top of my list are the SKS and Mini-14 (One rifle chambered in 5.56 and one in 7.62). I am sold on the SKS but I still seeking some knowledge on the Mini-14, like which model I should get. I was reading the Wiki article on the Mini-14 to learn more about it and I saw pictures of a model called the "Mini-14/F30GB". It has everything I want: 30 round magazine, flash suppressor, wood finish and even the added bonus of a pistol grip. However I don't see this model for sale anywhere so I have to wonder if it's a discontinued model? Plus is this model of Mini-14 compatible with the 5.56 round, or is it one of those models that only eats .223's?

Now if that's not available I am fine with getting the classic Ranch Rifle, however I really want a flash suppressor. I know before the redesigns made in the 2005-2008 timeframe they had flash suppressors for this model but it doesn't seem like they're compatible with the newest model. Also whats the situation with the 30 round magazines? I know the Mini-14's with 30 rounders seem rare. Finally how fussy is this rifle with ammo? I really want to stick with steel cased when possible so I can maximize my range time with this rifle.

Thanks for your time.

Default Re: Mini-14, thoughts?

Why not just get an AR in 5.56/.223? A Spikes will run you around the same price as a Mini-14. Maybe an AK-74. They're going for about $400.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Why not just get an AR in 5.56/.223? A Spikes will run you around the same price as a Mini-14. Maybe an AK-74. They're going for about $400.
    All in time. I want to start out with the basic SKS/Mini-14 and when I come into more money buy a WSAR AK-47/BCM Flattop AR-15. When it comes to AR-15's I covet them so I want the best and that cannot be had at $600-$650. The Mini-14 seems to be a very reliable weapon, based on the Garand style gas system so I can feel confident with it at the range or in a SHTF scenario. Accuracy is nothing amazing I admit but since this is just my first in a long line of planned 5.56 rifles I can live with it, from what I have seen the rifle is fine within 100 yards. It's not like I am ever going to mount optics on this rifle and expect .5 inch groups at 300 yards.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; April 8th, 2011 at 02:48 PM.

There's a reason Hannibal on the A-Team couldnt hit a damn thing with the Mini-14 (and it wasnt cause of TV violence standards).

That said, I'd still like to get one one day
    Hold the Line...

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post
    There's a reason Hannibal on the A-Team couldnt hit a damn thing with the Mini-14 (and it wasnt cause of TV violence standards).

Yes I have seen that too but they also spray n' prayed with them. The newer Mini-14's have improved barrels so they're more accurate and less prone to overheating.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by spacemanvic View Post

Yep.. I pointed that out awhile back.. lol

http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/127...ml#post1505774

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Yes I have seen that too but they also spray n' prayed with them. The newer Mini-14's have improved barrels so they're more accurate and less prone to overheating.
    They did thicken the barrel some. But they still have a pencil thin section along the barrel, which is where even the new Mini's have issues.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    They did thicken the barrel some. But they still have a pencil thin section along the barrel, which is where even the new Mini's have issues.
    Overheating and accuracy issues? I still cannot believe this weapon has accuracy that bad, it really cannot be worse than say an AK-47.

BTW, that post before isn't very nice to Mini-14 owners.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Overheating and accuracy issues? I still cannot believe this weapon has accuracy that bad, it really cannot be worse than say an AK-47.

BTW, that post before isn't very nice to Mini-14 owners.
    Accuracy is still any issue compared to other rifles. But their new production IS better than the old.

This company specializes in Mini 14 barrels and gear. On one of the pages it shows one of the inferior barrel profiles. It looks heavier, but in reality it still has a thin section. Even the new guns are recommend on getting a harmonic stabilizer.

Note: there is a mouse-over drop down at top for the Mini-14 with a few pages.
    http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Accuracy is still any issue compared to other rifles. But their new production IS better than the old.

This company specializes in Mini 14 barrels and gear. On one of the pages it shows one of the inferior barrel profiles. It looks heavier, but in reality it still has a thin section. Even the new guns are recommend on getting a harmonic stabilizer.

Note: there is a mouse-over drop down at top for the Mini-14 with a few pages.
    http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php
    Points for the link but do you really feel a heavier barrel is necessary for reasonable accuracy within 100 yards? Plus could you please explain the function of a harmonic stabilizer? The name gives me an idea of what it does. The mods don't seem that expensive in themselves but I wonder how much a gunsmith will charge me to install them?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast