Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 5.56 Headstamps

(Wayne County)

Default 5.56 Headstamps

I purchased some ammo online advertised as .223. When it arrived, the ammo is packaged in cardboard boxes labeled "5.56mm Ball XM193A"

OK, this is not .223 Rem that I thought I was getting for my Mini-14. Have read enough to know that it is unwise to put 5.56 through a rifle chambered for .223 even though the cartridges are nearly identical.

So, I want to give it to a friend that owns a Rock River Arms rifle chambered for both 5.56 and .223. Here is the rub. I won't even give ammo away to a friend if I don't know who made it. Here are the headstamp markings:

Headstamp (reading from top and going clockwise) "C", "7", "0", "L"

Can anyone identify the manufacturer from that headstamp?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: 5.56 Headstamps

More like... "LC 07"?

Lake city, 2007

The throat in a Mini-14 is sufficiently long enough to safely shoot 5.56

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

It's fine for his rifle. His type has a Hybrid (Wildye) chamber that will fire both without any issues what so ever with safety or accuracy.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    More like... "LC 07"?

Lake city, 2007

The throat in a Mini-14 is sufficiently long enough to safely shoot 5.56
    Thanks. Each of the four markings are at 12, 3 , 6 & 9 o'clock on the headstamp. If that's Lake City great. Haven't seen one of their headstamps so don't know if there is a separation between the "L" and the "C". Everytime I see someone write about a Lake City headstamp it's "LC" as if the two letters were right next to each other.

BTW, if it's true that the Ruger Mini-14 can handle the 5.56, my friend, though I do like him a lot, won't be seeing any of this ammo. :-)

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stonesriver1862 View Post
    Thanks. Each of the four markings are at 12, 3 , 6 & 9 o'clock on the headstamp. If that's Lake City great. Haven't seen one of their headstamps so don't know if there is a separation between the "L" and the "C". Everytime I see someone write about a Lake City headstamp it's "LC" as if the two letters were right next to each other.

BTW, if it's true that the Ruger Mini-14 can handle the 5.56, my friend, though I do like him a lot, won't be seeing any of this ammo. :-)
    Heh - yeah, LC is good as it gets. The mini-14 chamber is definitely good to go (I'm an armorer )

Yes, the HS is spaced out equidistant ("L C 0 7"). Not grouped together like we write it ("LC 07")

...L
    0....C

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Wayne County)

Pa. Patriot,

Thanks for the prompt and helpful answers.

(Lebanon County)

You can trust Pa. Patriot. (I wish I knew even a fraction of what he knows.)

For your reassurance, this is from the online manual that can be found on www.ruger.com
    Look under Product Service to find manuals.
    There's a lot more info there about your rifle, you might want to bookmark it or print it.

AMMUNITION
    The RUGER® MINI-14® RIFLES are chambered for the .223 Remington
    (5.56mm) cartridge. The Mini-14 Rifle is designed to use either standardized U.S.
    military, or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges manufactured in
    accordance with U.S. industry practice. See “Ammunition Notice” & “Ammunition
    Warning”, below.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.