Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Lancaster, PA Courtroom Showdown?

A county judge upheld Lancaster City’s ordinance against discharging a firearm within the city limits,

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/235827

But, PA law says that no municipalities can enact any gun laws that are more stringent than the state’s.

Perhaps this is best figured out with a jury?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Lancaster, PA Courtroom Showdown?

Quote Originally Posted by sjl127 View Post
    A county judge upheld Lancaster City’s ordinance against discharging a firearm within the city limits,

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/235827

But, PA law says that no municipalities can enact any gun laws that are more stringent than the state’s.

Perhaps this is best figured out with a jury?
    The state's preemption law says this:

General rule. No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammuni*tion components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.

Technically speaking, this doesn't cover discharge of firearms. Presumably, in order to be able to use firearms lawfully, there has to be some exception made to the ordinance to allow for lawful use consistent with state law. But the judge here ruled that there were sufficient exceptions, like in this case, for self-defense.

But whether or not the facts surrounding this case qualify for that exemption is a matter of fact, which is something to be determined at trial. If the question is only on the law, which is is in this case, the judge is just ruling that the law is valid. The defendant may still be acquitted at trial.
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(Lancaster County)

Personally, I can't stand Mayor Gray or Lancaster City anymore. I like how Gray said he could have ran to the police station for safety. Right... He wasn't there and doesn't really know the circumstances of what actually took place. I have seen storys of people driving, or running to a police station, only to be killed in the parking lot.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    The state's preemption law says this:

General rule. No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammuni*tion components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this commonwealth.
    key points in bold. discharge is another thing entirely
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Lots of places have ordnances against discharging a firearm.

Sucks that they're being douchebags and applying it to a self defense case, but the ordnance isn't unusual at all.

(Lancaster County)

Yea and I'll bet you'll never see that ass crack walking downtown at night. And he lives near the police station. what a d***head. And I thought mayor stork was dumb.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

City residents shouldn't be "terrorized" by guns being fired in the city, even if they are done in celebration, Gray said.

can't believe ppl still fire gun in celebration.

So what i see is the Mayor is saying if you need to shoot some one in self defense, bring them out of his town...

Although I do not recommend any one shoot in the air to protect them selves, if it worked… Personally If I believe if I shoot it will be in the direction of my intended target.

I agree guns should not be shot in “Celebration” but what can the DA argue here if there was an attack victim? That the shot was fired in a celebration of the beating?

Isn’t it odd, when ever a law is prescribed, it always seems to protect the BG? (Bad Guy) I mean, what the hell, don’t try to capture the bad guy who was doing the beating, just go after the person who managed to stop it.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly