Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Here is one to churn your noggin...

It kind of happened to me a few month ago when my wife had her car broken in to. It was about 4am when we had a knock on our door... naturally I was a little weary so I grabbed my Glock and headed down to see what the deal was. I poked my head out of the curtain and didn't see anyone so I cracked the door a hair with my Glock behind my back still. Thats when a LEO Poked around from just out of view to let me know my car had been broken in to. I placed my Glock down out of view and proceeded to talk to the LEO. He never saw the Glock.

How would this have played out if he saw my Glock, yet I'm on my property, inside the house and it is 4am... I mean he shouldn't be alarmed at the fact that I would answer the door armed at 4am, or would he, and could it go south quick?

What say you?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Here is one to churn your noggin...

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    so I cracked the door a hair
    IMO, mistake #1. You had no idea who or how many could be waiting outside that door, and even though you were armed, better to reduce the odds of needing to use it as much as possible.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

I'm not sure I would have cracked the door, but if someone knocks anytime after 11pm, I'm not on a first name basis with them. I'll be armed. As for what he could have done once he saw your weapon, well, I'm certain he would have come close to breaking leather, and rightly so.

On the one hand, I am a big time libertarian, on the other, if a cop sees someone holding a weapon, prudence dictates he be ready to defend himself. I'd like to say it would all work out in the end, but poor light, poor target visibility (night) and paranoia make for a bad mix.

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

Gotta agree with Greg here, someone knocks on my door at 4am they better be telling me who they are before I open the door, and I better see some credentials too (and they better be freaking real) or the door ain't opening ... too many lowlifes playing the 'fake cop' routine these days.

I think I said this to Jim (Fingers) a few weeks ago, if I don't see lights flashing and bullhorns blaring and I hear people trying to some through the door every god damned AK I have will be aimed AND FIRED at that door as they come through.... fuck it, I don't trust anyone or anything anymore (enough anys there for you?)

[edit]As far as if he saw it, so what? I would say to him "how the hell am I supposed to know who you are?"[/edit]

(Lehigh County)

If there is a knock on my door at 4 am, I would be armed when answering it as well.

I would have considered opening a second floor window and asked questions from there. Especially if I couldn't see a police cruiser sitting at the end of my driveway.

ETA: Anyone who knows me, would know to call first after 9:00pm. If a friend decided you surprise me with a visit, he wouldn't be surprised to see me at the door with a pistol and 70lb Pit Bull.
    Last edited by ReconLdr; November 2nd, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Northampton County)

If there is a knock on my door ANY time of day I will be armed. If the isn't a knock I will be armed.

A cop at 0400 is a thug looking to rob me. Unless there are a bunch of township cars outside with lights flashing. I won't shoot him, but I am calling 911 for the real deal.

(Indiana County)

I turn on the porch light and look through the window on the door. Works every time.

You have cops on duty at 4:00 a.m.?

I can see how the LEO would want to take a defensive posture....moving to a less targetable position and thinking through towards drawing, but at the same time be half expecting a homeowner at 0400 being armed hence not actually going for a draw till something tells him it's on. As far as him being upset about you answering the door armed, too bad. You have the right to do so and just reason to do so. I also think he should have hit his lights to alert you to just who was at your door. But I'd stilll have been armed, it just could be the bad guy looking for an escape hatch. Slim chance of that happening, same slim chance I'll need my seat belt going around the block but still I buckle in.

How about NOT!! Any LEO knocking on someones door at 4am sure as I'm breathing better light up the night and give ME- THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY, incentive to not come out armed to the teeth. With all the stolen LEO uniforms, criminals breaking into homes dressed as LEO... SCREW YOU!!
    Before I open a door I'm calling 911 if I dont personally recognize the LEO in question. A LEO can take precautions to not be misidentified, but he should expect an armed man at the door at any late hour.
    -Remember the Constitution-

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Gotta agree with Greg here, someone knocks on my door at 4am they better be telling me who they are before I open the door, and I better see some credentials too (and they better be freaking real) or the door ain't opening ... too many lowlifes playing the 'fake cop' routine these days.

I think I said this to Jim (Fingers) a few weeks ago, if I don't see lights flashing and bullhorns blaring and I hear people trying to some through the door every god damned AK I have will be aimed AND FIRED at that door as they come through.... fuck it, I don't trust anyone or anything anymore (enough anys there for you?)

[edit]As far as if he saw it, so what? I would say to him "how the hell am I supposed to know who you are?"[/edit]
    Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    If there is a knock on my door ANY time of day I will be armed. If the isn't a knock I will be armed.

A cop at 0400 is a thug looking to rob me. Unless there are a bunch of township cars outside with lights flashing. I won't shoot him, but I am calling 911 for the real deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlcrsn View Post
    How about NOT!! Any LEO knocking on someones door at 4am sure as I'm breathing better light up the night and give ME- THE OWNER OF THE PROPERTY, incentive to not come out armed to the teeth. With all the stolen LEO uniforms, criminals breaking into homes dressed as LEO... SCREW YOU!!
    Before I open a door I'm calling 911 if I dont personally recognize the LEO in question. A LEO can take precautions to not be misidentified, but he should expect an armed man at the door at any late hour.
    I would be asking for some credentials i.e. show me a badge and give me a name. I'd have the stand in one spot while I call the department and ask if they have an officer by that name and to have them send another officer out, asking them to instruct the responding officer to flash his strobes as he pulls up.

Then and only then would I accept that they are in fact a real officer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast