Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Shipping long gun Priority Mail in state

I've reviewed the USPS website and already knew an individual PA resident (non FFL) can use the USPS to ship a long gun to another PA resident. I thought I could ship a $700 rifle for about $30 insured via Priority Mail, now I look and Express is a bit more. Sounds like it must go Express with signature required according to below, copied from USPS site.

Any difference between Express and standard Priority Mail other than 1 day versus 2 day delivery?

Also, any issue with printing my label online and just dropping the package off at the PO since that's significantly cheaper?

Finally, if I choose 'Hold for Pickup' wouldn't the recipient need to sign anyway, so could I skip the 'Signature required' option?

12.2 Rifles and Shotguns
    [Revise renumbered 12.2 as follows:]
    Except under 12.1.1d and 12.1.2, unloaded rifles and shot*guns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing under 12.1.1d. The following conditions also apply:
    a. Subject to state, territory, or district regulations, rifles and shotguns may be mailed without restriction when sent within the same state of mailing. These items must bear a “Return Service Requested” endorsement, and must be sent by Express Mail (“signature required” must be used at delivery) or Registered Mail, or must in*clude either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Shipping long gun Priority Mail in state

All insured mail over $200 requires a signature.

From your post:
    or must in*clude either insured mail service (for more than $200) requiring a signature at delivery.
    This is how I ship rifles, priority or first class insured.

It If the rifle is under the $200, just get Signature Required for about $2.
    Last edited by 39flathead; September 2nd, 2014 at 06:11 PM.

(Indiana County)

You can print your postage, as long as it has the correct signature requirements.

Also, you are supposed to notify the clerk that it contains a firearm.

I take a copy of the postal regs with that section that I sign and date that the shipment complies with all postal regulations as well as federal and state laws.

If Joe Blow does not normally ship rifles from your PO, be prepared to make your case using those regs.
    Also point out to them the section of the regs that state the postmaster is not to give advice on the legality of shipping firearms.

(Berks County)

I thought that USPS required it to ship either Express or Registered, but it appears that there is a 3rd option. I use Registered Priority Mail. The last few rifles that I've shipped have been insured for over $2k and the most expensive was roughly $45 total going to AZ. Express was always more money when I got quotes. I print the Priority labels out at home to save a few bucks, but the Registered portion must be done in person at the PO. Also, for Registered, all seams must be covered in that brown paper tape and they are supposed to stamp all seams to show if it was tampered with or opened.

The advantage to using Registered is that it must be signed for by every person taking control of the package. So, in theory, it's easier to track it should something happen.

If you print the Priority label at home and plan on using Registered, DO NOT add additional insurance or signature confirmation to that label. Add the additional insurance when filling out the Registered label at the PO because it's MUCH cheaper that way, and Registered includes signature confirmation.
    Last edited by MJH; September 3rd, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I always use Registered Priority Mail. The last few rifles that I've shipped have been insured for over $2k and the most expensive was roughly $45 total going to AZ. Express was always more money when I got quotes.
    Edit - The advantage to using Registered is that it must be signed for by every person taking control of the package, so in theory it's easier to track it should something happen.
    This is a good suggestion, I use the registered option when shipping firearms over $1000, but I mainly do so because the signature is saved by the PO.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MJH View Post
    I thought that USPS required it to ship either Express or Registered, but it appears that there is a 3rd option. I use Registered Priority Mail. The last few rifles that I've shipped have been insured for over $2k and the most expensive was roughly $45 total going to AZ. Express was always more money when I got quotes. I print the Priority labels out at home to save a few bucks, but the Registered portion must be done in person at the PO. Also, for Registered, all seams must be covered in that brown paper tape and they are supposed to stamp all seams to show if it was tampered with or opened.

The advantage to using Registered is that it must be signed for by every person taking control of the package. So, in theory, it's easier to track it should something happen.

If you print the Priority label at home and plan on using Registered, DO NOT add additional insurance or signature confirmation to that label. Add the additional insurance when filling out the Registered label at the PO because it's MUCH cheaper that way, and Registered includes signature confirmation.
    Exactly what I needed. Big thanks and rep sent.