Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Unhappy how to get back my rifle

Late in 2011 I had my rifle siezed due to an accidentally self inflicted gunshot wound it was a damn fiasco and i got the shaft for it fines and what not. Well thats long over with and everything is a okay.Question is how do I get it back from the particular department. is there a procedure I should go through? All the legal matters are long over with and every thing is a-okay I just want my rifle back. I have the papers saying they siezed the rifle and what not as proof they indeed have it .
    Gott mit uns

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: how to get back my rifle

Have you gone and asked for it?

Sometimes you will need to get legal help getting your stolen property back from the police.

I would just go and ask for it back and take it from there. If they give you hell over it lawyer up and get a court order to return the property they stole from you.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    . . . and i got the shaft for it fines and what not . . .
    This makes it sound like you were convicted of something. If so, that may present complications.

(Lancaster County)

All criminal charges were expunged.is it still possible to get my stolen property back?
    Gott mit uns

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerh4ppy View Post
    All criminal charges were expunged.is it still possible to get my stolen property back?
    Yes. Either go in and ask for it back or file a motion for return of property. If you are going to go in and ask for it back, make sure you have all documentation. Otherwise you should lawyer up and file a motion.

The key is finding out where your gun is located. Is it with the County Sheriff? Local PD? State Trooper Barracks?
    Apathy is the downfall of Our Liberty

(Jefferson County)

Since you were charged/convicted of an offense there is the possibility that since it was a tool used in a crime that you cannot get it back and the seizure is permanent. ....loss of property via Due Process.

Had this been a seizure unrelated to a charge/conviction, petitioning the court would be the method.

You really should contact a lawyer about proceeding with having the rifle returned.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PaGunner View Post
    Yes. Either go in and ask for it back or file a motion for return of property. If you are going to go in and ask for it back, make sure you have all documentation. Otherwise you should lawyer up and file a motion.

The key is finding out where your gun is located. Is it with the County Sheriff? Local PD? State Trooper Barracks?
    Or in officer jimmy johns gun safe!
    -=pardon me while I burn and rise above the flames=-

The cost of the process and a lawyer may exceed the value of the gun. I would be more concerned that your current "status" may preclude you from future purchases.

(Bucks County)

You need to file a motion to the court to have the property returned. I hired a lawyer to handle it...cost me about $300 more than the value of the property, but the principle of getting it back was worth that to me. My situation was somewhat different, and in Philly, but at the end of the day (3 years later) my property was returned.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    The cost of the process and a lawyer may exceed the value of the gun. I would be more concerned that your current "status" may preclude you from future purchases.
    ^That! Ask for it back first. If they won't give it back, find out if you can legally own a firearm. If you can, then just go get another one.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast