Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default How do you deal with stupid arguments?

On another internet forum I frequent someone asked me why I carry in places like Target and Wal-Mart. I feel I gave a pretty good answer, but someone's response was rather pathetic.

Here it is:

I'm no more afraid of a gun than I am a set bear trap. However, I don't generally have to worry about encountering a bear trap while walking though Wal-Mart. Encountering a loaded gun is a lot more likely.

And again, I'm not generally worried about the gun carrier -- I'm worried about all the other, NON well-adjusted scary people the gun owner is touting their gun in front of... Even a set bear trap is generally safe around others -- you give the trap wide berth and you likely don't even have to worry about those scary people pushing you into one that's set... Not so with loaded guns.

I'm not saying you should take away the right to carry or own guns... But please... Just because you have the "right" to do something, doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD. (And "exercising" your right does no more to protect it than choosing not to -- and ironically, oftentimes provides the impetus to further restrict it.)
    So basically we shouldn't exercise our rights... because we might lose it?

Not to mention, of course, the person believing that the loaded gun on my side is somehow going to jump off my belt and shoot someone all by itself.

I have no idea how to counter such stupid arguments. The sad thing is I know others that hold these same views. What do you say to these people (without being rude)?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: How do you deal with stupid arguments?

Some people are too stupid to debate with.
    They will not be swayed, so I don't waste my energy.
    Keep in mind...
    Arguing with an idiot on the internet for an extended period of time will not really sway anybody.
    Make you point respectfully, and walk away (unless asked to elaborate, which I would do by all means).
    Anybody with half a brain who is reading the aftermath (that you have not participated in) will be swayed by your rational, and adult responses before they would be swayed by the childish back and forth we see on these online forums all to often.
    I used to get involved in these endless arguments online. I don't anymore. They never change any bodies mind, and they make me look and feel like a child.

(Centre County)

My response thus far was simply "Your ideas are more dangerous than my gun." For an internet perspective I agree that it would be pointless to engage further.

However, how about people you meet in real life? I have a relative that feels the same way as this internet poster does. I still don't really know a good way to deal with that. Perhaps he's a lost cause.

(Lancaster County)

My Mom is so anti-gun and liberal it is not funny.
    I don't debate with her about it anymore.
    She doesn't understand that gun laws don't stop criminals who ignore them.
    She also actually said she would have voted for Obama no matter what he believed in, just because he is black. And she doesn't think that it is racist for her to say that. She truely doesn't get it.
    I love her, and would rather enjoy her company than prove her wrong.
    As far as friends and casual aquantences...
    I have a spirited and civil debate, until it becomes personal. Then I walk away.
    I am from Chicago so I have walked away from allot of debates over the years LOL

(Allegheny County)

I think that a majority of that "fear" comes from people not understanding the concept of a retention holster. Especially holsters with active retention that can't necessarily be seen just by looking at it (Think Safariland ALS or Blackhawk Serpa). This was one of the talking points during the whole debate when SFN OC'd at the soccer game. I heard a couple media talking heads even say "There is nothing holding the gun in her holster - anyone could walk up and just take it" (She carried in a Safariland ALS holster).

I think that the first thing that needs to be done is to educate people in the concepts of weapon retention - how the firearm is locked into the holster unless a specific and deliberate action is taken - and beyond that how situational awareness will prevent someone from getting their hand on the weapon in the first place.

(Adams County)

In real life, I tend to just say something like "Well, thank God we live in a free country and not the one you would rather have."

or something along the lines of "Rights are like muscles--if you don't exercise them, they atrophy."

Internet arguments...it depends. Depending on who it is and if I have the time, I'll poke 'em a bit and try to get them worked up over it.

You could spend weeks dealing with a lost cause and never get anywhere but frustrated. It's good to hear an opposing view now and then, but not all opposing views are worth giving true consideration to. Carrying your gun in walmart or target to ensure the safety of yourself or your family is of far greater value than making someone else feel uncomfortable.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lexnaturalis View Post
    Just because you have the "right" to do something, doesn't necessarily mean that you SHOULD.
    Reply: Just because you have the right to freedom of speech, doesn't mean you should exercise it. Especially when you say something dumb.

I would tell this person that their problem isn't with you, it's with Walmart. Walmart is private property, and if they allow OC, it's their choice. If this person doesn't like it, they should take it up with the private property owner. Or shop somewhere that doesn't allow OC.

Smoking bothers my wife and I. If a bar doesn't have a no smoking area, we tend to stay away. We don't blame the smokers, we blame the bar owner.
    Last edited by tlgpa; April 23rd, 2009 at 02:17 PM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Reply: Just because you have the right to freedom of speech, doesn't mean you should exercise it. Especially when you say something dumb.
    That was my first response, but I decided to be "polite". I'm not sure if politeness is worth it or not in this case

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post

I would tell this person that their problem isn't with you, it's with Walmart. Walmart is private property, and if they allow OC, it's their choice. If this person doesn't like it, they should take it up with the private property owner. Or shop somewhere that doesn't allow OC.
    Hah, nice. Owned.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    Some people are too stupid to debate with.
    I agree! Sometimes it is better to just leave it alone. Politely make your point and let them look like the idiot

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast