Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century AR's ?

(Berks County)

Default Century AR's ?

Anyone know if these are worthwhile? http://classicarms.us/ http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/1826

LOOK WHAT WE GOT. - AR-15 RIFLES.

CENTURY ARMS HAS JUST PRODUCED A SMALL LOT OF THESE REALLY NICE AR-15 RIFLES USING THEIR RECEIVERS AND SURPLUS COLT PARTS. THEY ARE FANTASTIC. I KNOW. I WAS SKEPTICAL TOO. BUT IN THE WORDS OF MADELINE KAHN ITS TRUE, ITS TRUE. ( OBSCURE BLAZING SADDLES REFERENCE. ) IN THE PAST CENTURY HAS PRODUCED SOME VERY ENTRY LEVEL AR-15 RIFLES. WHILE THEY ALWAYS FUNCTIONED PROPERLY THEY TYPICALLY HAD OLD STYLE A-1 SIGHTS, LIGHT BARRELS, ETC. WELL THAT WAS THEN AND THIS IS NOW. THESE THINGS ARE NICE. EACH RIFLE LOOKS NEW INSIDE AND OUT WITH BEAUTIFUL FURNITURE AND A REALLY NICE METAL FINISH. A-2 STYLE MICROMETER ADJUSTABLE SITES. HEAVY BBL WITH BIRDCAGE COMP AND BAYONET LUG. I WOULD PUT THESE UP SIDE TO SIDE WITH ANY OF THE BIG NAMES AND AT A FRACTION OF THE COST. BUT DON'T DELAY, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED AND AT THIS PRICE THEY WILL GO FAST. ACCEPT ALL AR15/M16 TYPE HI-CAP MAGS. SHIPS WITH 2 THERMOLD 20 RD MAGS.... AR15-C........$599.95... - IN STOCK NOW -
    ***UPDATE , OFFICER MARCUS BUCHANAN, A POLICE CHIEF WITH A DEPARTMENT LOCAL TO US HERE, RECENTLY ACQUIRED ONE OF THESE RIFLES FOR TESTING. HE HAS SINCE BOTH PURCHASED THESE RIFLES AND ENDORSED THESE RIFLES TO THE OFFICERS IN HIS DEPARTMENT. HE SAY'S THEY WERE AMONG THE FINEST , MOST WELL ASSEMBLED AR-15 RIFLES HE HAS HAD THE PLEASURE OF FIRING. THAT MEANS A LOT COMING FROM MARC. HE IS A MAN WHO KNOWS HIS FIREARMS.
    Last edited by MyDogsBoss; July 15th, 2008 at 01:25 AM. Reason: edit

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Century AR's ?

I have heard they are really hit or miss. My suggestion would to buy a Stag Arms Model 1. They have chrome BBLs, a carry handle with BUIS built in and they are under 800 dollars. The best part about them is the LIFETIME WARRANTY. I have had mine for a month or so now and throw a few hundred rounds through it. Never had a problem.

I know this is a small sample set, but I couldn't be happier with my first AR15 purchase.

Buy once, cry once.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

It is especially true with AR15s... something to keep in mind.

(Allegheny County)

or you could always roll your own............................

I have a sneaky suspicion that some of the guys around here may know a thing or two about that.

(Allegheny County)

My 2-cents;

From what I see first-hand with Century's sub-contracted Yugo and Hungarian AKMs, and the good press I've read of their Galil/Golani - I wouldn't dismiss these out of hand just cause they are the generics.

After researching what it costs now to scrounge parts and roll my own AR - I'd be inclined to want to see one of these up close and personal.

Call every gunstore you know of and see if they have one in stock and go see for yourself. Maybe even wait on a gunshow and go see one.

You know your not buying a Colt, but a freshly-built parts-kit franken-AR. Much like many budget-focused kitchen table AR builders end up with.

And ask around the "other" boards for opinions, being mindful of extremes one way or the other.

Good luck.

you can build a delton for less....

(Centre County)

Maybe I'm just cynical but when I see things like this:

***UPDATE , OFFICER MARCUS BUCHANAN, A POLICE CHIEF WITH A DEPARTMENT LOCAL TO US HERE,

in an ad, it just makes me wonder. If Mr. Buchanan is the Chief, wouldn't it be better (and give more credence to the ad) to say "XYZ City Police Chief M. Buchanan..." other than the very generic statement above. No one can verify that he is the Chief or even what city he's from.

I have seen both very good and very bad come out of Century. All I can say that this point in time (without actually seeing one or knowing someone that has one) is be careful, there's a lot of places out there nowadays that make and sell AR's. And there is a lot of "buy now before they get banned" hype going on right now.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, typical Classic Arms hype.
    From what I've read on various AK boards they are supposedly great to do business with and with good cust service - once you get your stomach past their "KDKA AM-radio shill-speak".

(Cumberland County)

I have a few Century Ak's and have heard horrible stuff about them, although mine are great!! I can only assume the same with anything else they make. just my $.02 (always wanted to post that hehe)
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

(Indiana County)

The J&G ad linked above says "This is an AR-15A2 rifle built with a new Century Arms C-15 lower receiver, and parts from other military contractors, including Colt."

What exactly is including Colt mean?
    A few pins?
    The stock?
    The rear sight?

And what is minor wear without seeing one in person?
    Are they using those surplus Vietnam era Colt A1 parts kits that places were damn near giving away not too long ago?
    If so, are these the bottom of the barrel kits that were left?

If I were looking at buying one of these, I would just figure that I was buying a parts gun and I wouldn't put much faith in it having Colt parts.

Might be a decent gun, but throwing in that they have Colt parts seems like they are trying to talk the gun up for some reason. I found pics of actual ones that dealers are selling on gunbroker, and they look ok in the pics though.

I would want to see one in person first. Wait for a gun show, you can look at these and maybe find a decent used "name brand" gun too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJazz26 View Post
    I have a few Century Ak's and have heard horrible stuff about them, although mine are great!! I can only assume the same with anything else they make. just my $.02 (always wanted to post that hehe)
    Heard the same complaints about Century's FrankenFALs, FrankenG3s, and "CETMEs" - yet despite the whining the low prices sell the guns and Century's customer service ultimately makes folks happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast