Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Lightbulb SHTF Cabinet w/ Pics

After purchasing my 1st gun, a Mossberg 590 w/ ati top folding stock, I was inspired to make a SHTF Cabinet. Im not sure if anyone else has done this before but its just a cabinet where some of my important guns, some ammo(I know its not safe), and some other misc items are stored close by me that can be reached at a moments notice. I plan on adding touch led lights in the event of a power outage. I also plan on adding some kind of glow in the dark tape or something on the outside so that it is visible in low/no light conditions. This by no means is a secure way to store my guns(as some of you are thinking) but right now i dont have the money or space to buy a gun safe. I plan on adding some handguns in there spcifically the P99 in Military OD 40 QA. Hopefully will purchase an Ar-15, well the parts, to do a custom build along with a good long gun like a remington 700. The only thing I know is that if shit ever does hit the fan whether im at my home or outdoors I know I have to get my ass to my SHTF Cabinet. If anyone else has any other ideas on how to improve this, please feel free to comment.

Salt

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SHTF Cabinet w/ Pics

might wanna coat the side walls on the bottom there with some rubber or foam type of material, maybe also put some "U" shaped grooves in there for placement of those long-guns upright better (if they're fit that way).

(Berks County)

Where did you get the cabinet from and what kind is it? Ive been looking for something very similar and havent been able to find anything.

Its similar to what i was thinking of doing except i wasn't going to keep any firearms in it. But overall that is nice. Now you just need to camo it into the room where you keep it...
    Freedom is paid with the blood of those who understand what being free really means. (Me)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - 1775 Benjamin Franklin

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: SHTF Cabinet w/ Pics

Yeah I was gonna say make it like a BIB (Bug In Box) and put it into a built in closet and put a hasp lock or something on it, put some water, MRE's, first aid kit, more batteries, etc. Whatever you would need for your crew to survive for a couple days. Perhaps some extra ammo too. Cause if SHTF, you will need that. Nice idea though.

(Westmoreland County)

The cabinet is cool, but that 590 rocks! I almost bought the marine finish when I got mine, but I talked myself into the parked finish instead...

(Lehigh County)

How do you like the ATI Top Folding Stock? Does your shoulder like it? Is it firm when firing? Not wild and crazy?
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    PAFOA Feedback

(Lebanon County)

I like it as much as I don't. It's actually a really great idea, and personally to me a very patriotic thing to do: have your arms ready on a moments notice. Mine aren't, and I would be very upset if a day came where I needed them, and I didn't have the time to load them. I guess the conclusion here is safety first, but shit happens no matter so you just have to take the chance.

(Lackawanna County)

I apologize for my late response. I have a busy schedule. I dont mean to be rude but im doing this in one shot to conserve space.

maybe also put some "U" shaped grooves in there for placement of those long-guns upright better (if they're fit that way).
    Yeah that shelf that wont allow them to stand upright can be moved with some modification. I just havent had the chance to do it yet. I do plan to move it up and put the U shaped grooves in there.

Where did you get the cabinet from and what kind is it?
    Its called Gladiator and believe it or not its made by Whirlpool from the Garage Works Line. I Bought it at Lowes but I think they sell it at sears too. http://www.gladiatorgw.com/home.jsp
    They make many different things for it. A little on the pricy side. I paid $250 at lowes.

Yeah I was gonna say make it like a BIB (Bug In Box) and put it into a built in closet and put a hasp lock or something on it
    Thanks for the idea. I may put it in a big closet I have so its out of the way. I planned on adding that shit but havent stocked up yet. Soon.

that 590 rocks! I almost bought the marine finish when I got mine, but I talked myself into the parked finish instead...
    I feel you man, I just couldnt turn down that marine finish. Apperently if you keep it in less than optimal conditions it wont rust, or I should say wont rust as bad.

How do you like the ATI Top Folding Stock? Does your shoulder like it? Is it firm when firing? Not wild and crazy?
    At first I didnt like it. It seemed a little long for me and my friends too. You get used to it. Now i wouldnt trade it for anything. I fire it and its like nothing. Gets some getting used to. Its funny because I went to the range and I shoulder fired about 30 round the the mossberg and fired my 30/30 lever 5 min later and felt no kick. I heard the reoprt of the gun with the plugs in my ears but for a second I was convinced that the gun didnt fire. I was so used to the kick of the shottie I just didnt feel it. Idk if you have a pistol grip shotgun but thats pretty fun to fire from the hip. You get the best of both worlds. Top folding stock that is out of the way but if shit goes down and you need some accuracy you just pop the stock down. Its nice because when the stock is down it sits lown on the shoulder, alot easier for clearing rooms in a cqb senerio. I can fire that round after round with the stock and its not that bad. You shoot 5 or 6 3in Magnums and you will feel it. It is a little crazy when it fires. But not bad at all. Def not a good as a regular stock, but my regular stock doesnt fold up to the top either. Its somewhat of a trade off. Not too bad on the wrists either. My advice is if you thinking about getting one get it. Is it the most practicle stock ever made? Prob not. To me it was worth it. It does what it has to do. Lets be honest it looks badass too. Did you ever fire one? Where do you live BTW, What area of PA? If your close id def meet up and let you have a go with it.

I guess the conclusion here is safety first, but shit happens no matter so you just have to take the chance.
    I live by myself and the cabinet locks so having to keep my guns hidden is not a problem for me.
    Last edited by Salt; December 10th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.

I suppose the concept is "everything in one place" , good idea for that purpose , beats trying to run around the house gathering stuff as the bad guys are a coming , but yo' need to get some more guns

(Lackawanna County)

Soon enough my friend, soon enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast