Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Russian Makarov

(Dauphin County)

Default Russian Makarov

Just picked up a Russian Makarov the other day. What a great gun. A local shop around here had it for sale for a good price. Apparently they had found it in the back room buried under some piles, still Brand NIB! I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was the double stack, 10 round mag version, but I can deal with it. I also don't know how I care for the adjustable sights, but they haven't shown me any problems yet. I do have one question though, my trigger feels gritty and a bit loose when the finger is not on it. Is this common? It seems to wiggle a little bit and I don't have the first clue how to tighten it up. But again, this may be normal on Mak's.

Took it outside to do some shooting after I brought it home and cleaned it, and from a sandbag position, it shot 5 in a group of about 3 inches at 20 yards. Freehand I could get it to about 5 inches at 20 yards. Not bad for me. Accurate little gun.

Let me know what you guys think

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Russian Makarov

Quote Originally Posted by mlbgpride View Post
    Just picked up a Russian Makarov the other day. What a great gun. A local shop around here had it for sale for a good price. Apparently they had found it in the back room buried under some piles, still Brand NIB! I was a bit disappointed when I found out it was the double stack, 10 round mag version, but I can deal with it. I also don't know how I care for the adjustable sights, but they haven't shown me any problems yet. I do have one question though, my trigger feels gritty and a bit loose when the finger is not on it. Is this common? It seems to wiggle a little bit and I don't have the first clue how to tighten it up. But again, this may be normal on Mak's.

Took it outside to do some shooting after I brought it home and cleaned it, and from a sandbag position, it shot 5 in a group of about 3 inches at 20 yards. Freehand I could get it to about 5 inches at 20 yards. Not bad for me. Accurate little gun.

Let me know what you guys think
    With a fixed barrel blowback operation, Maks are pretty accurate. If by "loose" you mean the trigger just has some extra long uptake on it, I think that is probably"normal", along with a rough or gritty trigger feel.

I would make a separate post on the "gunsmith" category here on PAFOA, and see if someone could tell you if the "loose" trigger is anything to worry about. I'm guessing it is just the "rough" manufacturing by the Russkies. You might also find a guy in your area to do a trigger job on it.

Congrats on the gun, it is a fun little shooter that still works as a defense pistol.

(Adams County)

I have the single stack commercial Russian Makarov and I think it's great. I've never had a jam shooting nothing but hollow points through it, and shooting with two hands at 7 yards it stays in the 10 ring. I don't remember what inspired me to buy it but I'm glad I did.

Good for you!!!!!

atleast it's not a f-ing taurus...........

(Monroe County)

I envy you guys, Maks are great, i should have bought a few backj when they were real cheap, stupid me.

A good gunsmith can tune it up for you and shim the trigger so its firm and nice , no wiggles, and polish the sear too , well worth the effort/expense, you can spend hundreds on a modern pistol that doesnt have half the accuracy and character of a Mak. If you dont like the adjustable sights go to www.makarov.com they all kinds of stuff for your mak.

Nyman

(Montgomery County)

I've got a Bulgarian, it was the first pistol I ever bought. I love it!

(Allegheny County)

I have:

East German
    Bulgarian
    Russian = single stack
    Russian = double stack

My double is like yours and is a 10 rounder. Good luck finding the 12 round mag. Its impossible. I had no luck at all.

They are all great guns and very accurate/reliable. Fun to shoot and simplistic in there design. Enjoy it.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for all the replies guys.
    I've seen that Midway has a few of the 10 round mags, so hopefully I can pick some up from there for a decent price. I'm loving this gun, like I said, the trigger needs a little work done to it, but it's accuracy and consistency are amazing. If anyone gets a chance, pick one up, for the price you won't be disappointed!

(Lebanon County)

just picked one up yesterday. figured what the hay, 2bills for a little russian thing, why not?
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Allegheny County)

i have maks from every country that made them, as well as numerous other 9x18mm pistols. love em all!
    MORDENTE MEUM