Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Rifle shipping options

I need to ship a rifle to an FFL in CA. None of the FFLs around here will ship to CA due to the laws requring them to get approval from the CA DOJ, but it is perfectly legal for an individual to ship to a CA FFL without going through this process (make sense of THAT one!).

Anyway, options. FedEx is out because they require overnight. That leaves UPS and USPS. I am correct that I can ship a long gun via USPS as an individual, correct? I guess it would come down to which was cheaper between UPS and USPS.

Can I pay for/print the shipping label myself online, or must the shipper (UPS or USPS) see the FFL and make their own shipping label?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Rifle shipping options

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/568...ten-asked.html

That should answer most of your questions.

However, Yes you can, as a private party, ship a long gun (actually any gun) to any FFL in the US, although to CA you sometimes need to know their laws (especially if it's a handgun). A long arm though isn't/shouldn't be a problem to CA.

If using UPS just make sure that the word firearm is no where on the package. By their own rules they cannot have any identifying marks on the package that would tell someone it is a gun.

If using the USPS, just pack it up good, so it doesn't rattle around. You must also fill out a USPS Form 1508 which is certifying that it is going to someone that can legally receive it. If you have a copy of the receiving FFL's license you can show that to them if they question it. Ship it Priority, Insured and whatever other info you want (return receipt to prove they got it, etc.). I ship a lot of guns through USPS and have never had a problem.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Default Re: Rifle shipping options

You can also ship it to yourself. You don't need a FFL if you are the only person to open the package. A lot of guys that take training classes do it...