Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Thoughts on home defense/security

We all talk about the best gun for this or that or shotgun vs handgun for home defense....ect.

Home defense /security involves more than having a gun & knowing how to use it. Here's a few of my thoughts:

Most homes have crappy locks & hardware. I have the same distain for cheap,junk,inadaquate locks as I do for cheap holsters/belts. If one is serious about home security as I'm guessing most of the people here are....you need to look hard at your doors.

A trip to Lowe's or Home Depot (avoid Walmart for this stuff) can be a 1st step to upgrading locks & associated hardware,which is just as important if not more so than the locks themselves.

Single cylinder locks on a door with lots of glass are worthless.

Many homes also have basement windows that are very easy entry points.

Another thing to consider is motion lights. I have 6 on & around my house. I see them as a deterrent. No perp likes to be seen.

Keep a cell phone with you in the bed room when you sleep in case of land phone failure or wires cut. Flashlights are also a good idea.

If more than person lives there....have a plan.....for both fire & break in.
    A plan should include who does what. For example:
    Mom calls 911 with handgun in hand.
    Dad stands by,ready to engage threat with shotgun.
    Kids prone out on the floor. If younger kid shares room with older kid....older kid gets younger sibling proned.

Everyone's plan will be a little different because our situation is different.

A gun is just one part of our survival mindset.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Thoughts on home defense/security

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    We all talk about the best gun for this or that or shotgun vs handgun for home defense....ect.

Home defense /security involves more than having a gun & knowing how to use it. Here's a few of my thoughts:

Most homes have crappy locks & hardware. I have the same distain for cheap,junk,inadaquate locks as I do for cheap holsters/belts. If one is serious about home security as I'm guessing most of the people here are....you need to look hard at your doors.

A trip to Lowe's or Home Depot (avoid Walmart for this stuff) can be a 1st step to upgrading locks & associated hardware,which is just as important if not more so than the locks themselves.

Single cylinder locks on a door with lots of glass are worthless.

Many homes also have basement windows that are very easy entry points.

Another thing to consider is motion lights. I have 6 on & around my house. I see them as a deterrent. No perp likes to be seen.

Keep a cell phone with you in the bed room when you sleep in case of land phone failure or wires cut. Flashlights are also a good idea.

If more than person lives there....have a plan.....for both fire & break in.
    A plan should include who does what. For example:
    Mom calls 911 with handgun in hand.
    Dad stands by,ready to engage threat with shotgun.
    Kids prone out on the floor. If younger kid shares room with older kid....older kid gets younger sibling proned.

Everyone's plan will be a little different because our situation is different.

A gun is just one part of our survival mindset.
    **** Never go "hunting" or "looking" for a intruder in your house. Everyone heres a noise and wants to investigate with a 12 ga.

YOU know what your house sounds like. YOU know were the creeking floor boards are coming from.
    If you want to live, stay put and do not move. Let the perp come to you. Going to him is a real easy way to getting killed.

Thats my 2 cents. . . .

(Northampton County)

Truth + a dog.

Further, the gun, the alarm, the dog, and the secure doors won't do a damn thing if you don't act properly.

There are rarely any people at my door that aren't friends. So I should be good. I was wrong!

A couple weeks ago I had the magazine sales scam pulled on me. Young man at my door said he was from the neighborhood and selling magazines to fund a trip for himself and also a charity. He dropped names of a couple neighbors and said they told him I "was a good guy." I didn't want to be rude to a neighborhood kid since I don't know all of the people around here.

He wasn't even from this state. He looked up the names of my neighbors and almost duped me. Fortunately, I didn't give him any money.

Also, fortunately I was armed. You can't run and get your gun with someone at your door. Or carry a rifle to the door. You have to wear a gun. Further, I never should have opened the door for the kid in the first place. That nullified almost all of my security advantages. Simply because I am a nice guy.

Don't know you - no door, and show me your driver's license.

Cop, Fed (fed has happened) - I have no idea what your badge means. Get two Township cruisers out here or I am calling the cops.

Finally, never ever deal with anybody you don't know when you are coming to or leaving your house. Leaving - get back inside. Returning home - drive off and call the police.

(Northampton County)

**** Never go "hunting" or "looking" for a intruder in your house. Everyone heres a noise and wants to investigate with a 12 ga.

YOU know what your house sounds like. YOU know were the creeking floor boards are coming from.
    If you want to live, stay put and do not move. Let the perp come to you. Going to him is a real easy way to getting killed.
    That's what most authorities on the subject seem to suggest. When a break in goes down the occupant(s) don't know how many perps they're dealing with. Criminals often work in small groups & rushing into a battle where you're out numbered 3 to 1 is not wise.

My bedroom is upstairs & my plan is to keep perp(s) from coming up the steps. My tool for this is a Mossey 590A1 with bayonet. When you're higher than your opponent....gravity is your friend. A bedside stand or bowling ball thrown down the steps as a perp is acending will likely stop him....or you could just shoot him.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post

Thats my 2 cents. . . .
    Easy to say if you don't have kids.

(Northumberland County)

what i would do is stay in a spot and wait till i see movement then shine a flashlight at whatever moved , 1st rule of defense in the dark never turn on the lights you give the BG an advantage , he will know where you are but you wont know where he is so stay on defensive .

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post

Thats my 2 cents. . . .
    If I followed this advice I'd spend one night a month without sleep before work or calling 911.

If probably nothing - I have to investigate just to be sure.

If it might be something - I won't say.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    When you're higher than your opponent....gravity is your friend.
    Not to mention the bottleneck.

(Northampton County)

Truth + a dog.

Further, the gun, the alarm, the dog, and the secure doors won't do a damn thing if you don't act properly.

There are rarely any people at my door that aren't friends. So I should be good. I was wrong!

A couple weeks ago I had the magazine sales scam pulled on me. Young man at my door said he was from the neighborhood and selling magazines to fund a trip for himself and also a charity. He dropped names of a couple neighbors and said they told him I "was a good guy." I didn't want to be rude to a neighborhood kid since I don't know all of the people around here.

He wasn't even from this state. He looked up the names of my neighbors and almost duped me. Fortunately, I didn't give him any money.

Also, fortunately I was armed. You can't run and get your gun with someone at your door. Or carry a rifle to the door. You have to wear a gun. Further, I never should have opened the door for the kid in the first place. That nullified almost all of my security advantages. Simply because I am a nice guy.

Don't know you - no door, and show me your driver's license.

Cop, Fed (fed has happened) - I have no idea what your badge means. Get two Township cruisers out here or I am calling the cops.

Finally, never ever deal with anybody you don't know when you are coming to or leaving your house. Leaving - get back inside. Returning home - drive off and call the police.
    Good story. Others can learn from it. It's good that you posted it. AND yes...opening a door for a stranger is not the best idea...especially for kids & women.

If anyone asked about me...my neighbors would probably say "he's an asshole". So I would know the guy at the door was lying.

(Northampton County)

Easy to say if you don't have kids.
    Everyone's plan will be a little different depending on different things like layout of home,location of bedrooms....ect. The important thing is to have a plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast