Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Retirees and Vets allowed to salute

This from military.com.

Retirees and Vets Allowed to Salute Flag
    Week of October 19, 2009

Traditionally, members of the nation?s veterans service organizations have rendered the hand-salute during the national anthem and at events involving the national flag only while wearing their organization?s official head-gear.The National Defense Authorization Act of 2008 contained an amendment to allow un-uniformed servicemembers, military retirees, and veterans to render a hand salute during the hoisting, lowering, or passing of the U.S. flag. A later amendment further authorized hand-salutes during the national anthem by veterans and out-of-uniform military personnel. This was included in the Defense Authorization Act of 2009, which President Bush signed on Oct. 14, 2008.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Retirees and Vets allowed to salute

Thank you Sir for posting this. I have always rendered a hand salute when the National Anthem was sung, and at parades as Old Glory passes. My step father-in-law (notice I did NOT capitalize there) saw me do this at a Fourth of July parade and hounded me while I was saluting the flag, and for several hours thereafter he continued making snide remarks about my "behavior".
    The man is a vet also. I guess some of us valued our nation and our service more than others.
    Again, Thank you for posting this.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the info, though I really doubt there would be many people trying to enforce this law had it not been passed. I can just imagine a 20 something rookie cop telling a cranky old WWII, Korea or Vietnam vet he/she can't salute the flag.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: Retirees and Vets allowed to salute

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Thanks for the info, though I really doubt there would be many people trying to enforce this law had it not been passed. I can just imagine a 20 something rookie cop telling a cranky old WWII, Korea or Vietnam vet he/she can't salute the flag.
    You're right, I don't see that happening EVER, but, like happened to me, I can see someone scowling at a thrity or forty something vet and giving them a hard time. Mine came from a family member.
    We served, we earned the right to render that salute. I'm glad somebody made it a law. Once in a while, something intelligent comes from Washington.

(Montgomery County)

Woo. I can salute in jeans.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom ... go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels nor arms. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams

(Northampton County)

I agree with this, you guys have earned the right.

Thank you all for your service....
    Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

(Northampton County)

Before this, what would happen if a vet, retiree, or even civilian saluted? I would be horrified to learn there is any law against it. Sounds like more of a formality. Except maybe for those under UMCJ. I don't even remember hearing about this one. I remember we weren't allowed to wear BDUs in public. Seems all the rage nowadays.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Before this, what would happen if a vet, retiree, or even civilian saluted? I would be horrified to learn there is any law against it. Sounds like more of a formality. Except maybe for those under UMCJ. I don't even remember hearing about this one. I remember we weren't allowed to wear BDUs in public. Seems all the rage nowadays.
    i think most people left them alone. they may have frowned but i have never heard of a big scene or legal action being taken. that would be terrible...
    Utinam barbari spatium proprium tuum invadant!

(Allegheny County)

I salute but only if covered.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Centre County)

Wow, thanks for posting. I always thought a hand salute would be appropriate for non-uniformed mil and vets. Figure you did your time to protect that flag, you earned the privaledge to salute Old Glory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast