Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Pike County)

Default Vegas man arrested for "road rage" shooting

http://www.lvrj.com/news/las-vegas-m...162972556.html

I deliberately quoted the road rage, since it seems to me like it was vehicular assault, but I wouldn't expect any less stupid title from our liberal media.

And instead of being commended for putting a lunatic off the streets, the guy was detained.
    Je suis déplorable

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Re: Vegas man arrested for "road rage" shooting

The story leaves out details of the interactions between the two, and I suspect that the devil might be in those details.

Quote Originally Posted by Las Vegas Review Journal
    Eakens fired multiple times, hitting the teenager once in the head and once in an ear.

The teenager was taken to Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center with injuries police described as not life-threatening
    Another mousegun, ya think?

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/las-vegas-m...162972556.html

I deliberately quoted the road rage, since it seems to me like it was vehicular assault, but I wouldn't expect any less stupid title from our liberal media.

And instead of being commended for putting a lunatic off the streets, the guy was detained.
    So he boxed the guy's truck in after a hit-and-run? Good for him! With the pussification of America, it seems that liberals think that being assertive is a terrible thing - better to meekly call the authorities and let the scum run wild. Why should an assertive but law-abiding person be penalized for defending himself? In that regard, it's not much different than George Zimmerman's situation.

(Bucks County)

I always thought that if something like this happens it should be considered assault with a deadly weapon (the car) and the other driver has a right to defend themselves. Maybe one of the attorneys can enlighten us about that type of situation.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by BobFromBucks View Post
    I always thought that if something like this happens it should be considered assault with a deadly weapon (the car) and the other driver has a right to defend themselves. Maybe one of the attorneys can enlighten us about that type of situation.
    I think the fact that the guy was in his own car makes self defense a much less likely option.
    Honestly, if I'm super generous I'd call this shoot borderline. My inclination is that it's not good. If somebody hits your car and runs, get their plate number and report it. if you box them in and they start ramming your car, move your car. Is some body damage really worth killing someone over?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Helter View Post
    I think the fact that the guy was in his own car makes self defense a much less likely option.
    Honestly, if I'm super generous I'd call this shoot borderline. My inclination is that it's not good. If somebody hits your car and runs, get their plate number and report it. if you box them in and they start ramming your car, move your car. Is some body damage really worth killing someone over?

I think it's two seperate issues.

I agree that it would be borderline self defense if both remain in the car. However, some states have laws that allow you to pursue a felony fleeing a crime. If when fleeing the suspect attempts to harm you defending yourself would be an appropriate response.

I think it's a personal decision if you feel body damage is worth attempting to stop a fleeing suspect and the possibility of them turning violent.

(Bucks County)

At some point a moving vehicle driven by someone who is trying to harm you must fall into the category of deadly weapon. I agree that body damage is not worth killing someone. But, I've seem some amazing things on the road where a car or truck has purposely forced another vehicle off the road at a high rate of speed, tailgated and even rammed. I remember one or two people being killed on the northbound Turnpike extension a few years ago by a jack wagon who rammed them and the car flipped off the highway. He kept on going but was arrested later. Had he stopped his vehicle and walked toward the flipped car and someone was alive, able to function and armed, I'm guessing he might not still be around today.

Had this been a police officer being rammed by the guy, the deadly force would have been completely OK, because we all know that LEO's have the "right" to go home safely every night.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Preble Pro View Post
    Had this been a police officer being rammed by the guy, the deadly force would have been completely OK, because we all know that LEO's have the "right" to go home safely every night.
    Nice anti-cop cliche'. Kudos on that.

As for the shoot...I doubt its self defense. If the car was boxed in I doubt there was enough room for the kid to gather enough speed to cause a deadly crash. It sounds like he was pissed and shot the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowline View Post
    Nice anti-cop cliche'. Kudos on that.

As for the shoot...I doubt its self defense. If the car was boxed in I doubt there was enough room for the kid to gather enough speed to cause a deadly crash. It sounds like he was pissed and shot the kid.
    Are you doubting that what I said would not have been the case?

I'm not anti cop, but I don't think there should be a double standard when it comes to the use of self defense. A vehicle is absolutely a deadly weapon.

If it is justified for one, it should be justified for the other.